Auto-tipping question

docboy

Hello everyone, something else I just thought off, which may or may not be a sensitive question. Friendly responses appreciated :)

Can someone explain to me auto-tipping? Is auto-tipping the same thing as checking the pre-paid gratuity option on the Carnival website? I know if you check this option, the tips are prepaid already when you book the cruise, which is a great time saver.

But, if some one does not check the pre-paid gratuity option, are the gratuities then added on to your final statement?

So we no longer get the "envelopes" anymore?

Umm...there is some confusion here.

"Pre-paid" gratuities means adding the amount of the gratuities to your cruise price--which you pay off before you cruise.

If you don't pre-pay, then they will be automatically added to your Sign and Sail account on the first day of your cruise ($10 pp/per day).

The third option (and STRONGLY discouraged) is to take off the automatically added gratuities once you are on the ship...the assumption being you will then track down and personally tip every single crew member that has served you on your cruise.

The third option (and STRONGLY discouraged) is to take off the automatically added gratuities once you are on the ship...the assumption being you will then track down and personally tip every single crew member that has served you on your cruise.

By who?:rolleyes:

And what proof do you have to back up your answer?

Steve

Hello everyone, something else I just thought off, which may or may not be a sensitive question. Friendly responses appreciated :)

Can someone explain to me auto-tipping? Is auto-tipping the same thing as checking the pre-paid gratuity option on the Carnival website? I know if you check this option, the tips are prepaid already when you book the cruise, which is a great time saver.

But, if some one does not check the pre-paid gratuity option, are the gratuities then added on to your final statement?

Correct,you no longer Get envelopes.They must feel that you are not educated or responsible enough to do it on your own now.

It can't be to help the crew out because including it in the fare would assure they got paid.

Steve:D

Actually it would just be your room steward, dining room waiter and assistant waiter....

for one thing our tips were not added until 5 of 7 day cruise and we could not adjust until then...we DID receive envelopes and we DID personally give the cash to our cabin steward/waiter/asst waiter. We also left alittle for the maitre d which is suggested. They gave un an envelope for F and B also which I guess is food and bev??? So we had 3 envelopes and maitre d.

for one thing our tips were not added until 5 of 7 day cruise and we could not adjust until then...we DID receive envelopes and we DID personally give the cash to our cabin steward/waiter/asst waiter. We also left alittle for the maitre d which is suggested. They gave un an envelope for F and B also which I guess is food and bev??? So we had 3 envelopes and maitre d.

Huh?? :confused: Am I the only one that is confused by this post? :p

On a Carnival cruise, auto-tips are added the first day of the cruise to your S&S account.

I have only gotten one envelope ~ for the Maitre D'. I don't tip him unless he does something special or extra for me or is just a super nice guy.

Were you on the Glory?

Steve

You are correct, I prefer to pay the tips when I pay the cruise off. If you dont then its just added to the final bill. Its still no big deal.

The only person that gets the envelope today is the Maitre'd or if you want to give extra to someone.

Fred

On the Valor last month, we were given a notice in our cabin on day 3 or 4 notifying us that they would be adding the gratuity to our sail & sign account the next day. We were to see the pursers desk if we did not want it added. It was the first time I have seen it done this way.

Auto Tips SUCK! Has your service gone up or down? If down, why would a Tip be do? Why does everyone worry so much what others do?

What about

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

When did it become our responsibility to pay everyone on the ship? When I do to a buffet,I leave a tip for the waitress who fills my drinks and cleans the used plates off,but nothing else goes to any other part of the operation. Who's stupid idea was that?:rolleyes:

Steve

What about

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Actually you bring up a good point........back when we paid cash tips on the last night........where was this $1.00 a day:confused: Or better yet who's pocket did it come our of:confused:

Actually you bring up a good point........back when we paid cash tips on the last night........where was this $1.00 a day:confused: Or better yet who's pocket did it come our of:confused:

When I think of all the people who fall in this $1 per day category, my head spins. So I spend $7 for the week to tip the omelet dude, the people who makes my panini, the burger and fry crew, the hot line staff, and the various wait staff who aren't already part of the main dining room staff. Seems like one heck of a bargain to me. (Okay, I do tip the omelet dude extra at the end of the week if he's good.) And sorry to sound sexist, but I've never encountered a female omelet chef.

Me? I'm a conservative spender (aka cheap), but always feel like I receive service far exceeding the $10 per day in auto-tips. One time I didn't give an additional tip to our dining room staff because they didn't do anything to add to our cruise experience. Other than that, I have been thrilled to pay the $10 auto-tip plus extra for our dining room and room steward staff.

chef.

Me? I'm a conservative spender (aka cheap), but always feel like I receive service far exceeding the $10 per day in auto-tips. .

How do you figure? What do these people do that is worth $140 per couple per week that is above and beyond their job? Remember it is not our responsibility to pay the crew,its the cruiselines.What they pay is none of our business.The key word here is tips and focusing on that word and its definition,I again ask what do they do thats worth $140 per week per couple above and beyond their job?

We both know the answer,that the tip is their pay.It should all be included in the fare so they are sure they get a decent wage each week.

Steve

We both know the answer,that the tip is their pay.It should all be included in the fare so they are sure they get a decent wage each week.

Steve

Couldn't agree more. But they do not get a decent wage without tips- something like 50-100 a month. So therefore, the tip is indeed their pay. And since I for one have neither the time nor the patience to take this on as a mission, I gladly pay the tips.

When did it become our responsibility to pay everyone on the ship? When I do to a buffet,I leave a tip for the waitress who fills my drinks and cleans the used plates off,but nothing else goes to any other part of the operation. Who's stupid idea was that?:rolleyes:

Steve

When I was younger, I worked in several restaurants, as a busboy or dishwasher. Every restaurant I worked in REQUIRED the waiters/waitresses to share the tips with the rest of us. It is my firm understanding that this is still the policy in most restaurants. In fact, many restaurants now do essentially what the cruise lines do, and pool the tips. The waiters turn in all the cash tips. This is combined with the non-cash tips and distributed in their paychecks.

And, BTW, the federal minimum wage law specifically sets a much lower pay rate for staff that are eligible for tips. Some states may have higher minimums. I've heard that California is one such state, but the federal law does not require employers to pay the full (what is it now, $6.50?) minimum wage.

I know that several large national chains, with restaurants in my area, pay their waiters about $2.10/hour. The rest comes from tips. I never hear anyone suggesting that the restaurants should include the tips in the price of the meal.

My point is that the cruise lines are not doing anything essentially different than just about every restaurant in the US.

Paul

How do you figure? What do these people do that is worth $140 per couple per week that is above and beyond their job? Remember it is not our responsibility to pay the crew,its the cruiselines.What they pay is none of our business.The key word here is tips and focusing on that word and its definition,I again ask what do they do thats worth $140 per week per couple above and beyond their job?

Steve

It's rather nice in theory, but if they did what you want and add it the cost of the cruise, don't you think they might wind up charging more then $10 a day per person. Maybe the cruise fare goes up $100 per person for a 7 day cruise, instead of the $70 you are now paying, plus you don't have the option to pull them if you don't get good service. I just look at it is part of the cost of the cruise and really don't mind it at all.

I do have a question about them though......This tips are pooled and distributed to all wait staff or go to your assigned staff? So if you chose to not eat in the dining room and just do the buffet, are the waiter and their assistant getting paid not to serve you?

When I was younger, I worked in several restaurants, as a busboy or dishwasher. Every restaurant I worked in REQUIRED the waiters/waitresses to share the tips with the rest of us. It is my firm understanding that this is still the policy in most restaurants. In fact, many restaurants now do essentially what the cruise lines do, and pool the tips. The waiters turn in all the cash tips. This is combined with the non-cash tips and distributed in their paychecks.

And, BTW, the federal minimum wage law specifically sets a much lower pay rate for staff that are eligible for tips. Some states may have higher minimums. I've heard that California is one such state, but the federal law does not require employers to pay the full (what is it now, $6.50?) minimum wage.

I know that several large national chains, with restaurants in my area, pay their waiters about $2.10/hour. The rest comes from tips. I never hear anyone suggesting that the restaurants should include the tips in the price of the meal.

My point is that the cruise lines are not doing anything essentially different than just about every restaurant in the US.

Paul

Family member works at Denny's...Keeps all tips.

And I agree with you on the tips for the servers.What about the room steward?When I stay at the Holiday inn,I leave $2 on the table.CCL is having you leave $7 per day per couple.

You are confusing these foreign ships with USA wages. The minimum wage where many of the crew comes from is 1/3rd for the average worker of what your stating above.

The confusion is everyone is thinking USA wages.

Steve

It's rather nice in theory, but if they did what you want and add it the cost of the cruise, don't you think they might wind up charging more then $10 a day per person. Maybe the cruise fare goes up $100 per person for a 7 day cruise, instead of the $70 you are now paying, plus you don't have the option to pull them if you don't get good service. I just look at it is part of the cost of the cruise and really don't mind it at all.

I do have a question about them though......This tips are pooled and distributed to all wait staff or go to your assigned staff? So if you chose to not eat in the dining room and just do the buffet, are the waiter and their assistant getting paid not to serve you?

To answer your question..Yes they get paid for doing nothing.

What the difference?

$199 for 7 day + $70 in tips = $269

or

$269 including tips with the crew not getting stiffed.

ANswer......

They can't advertise the $199 anymore. The atitude is you don't have to tip so its only $199.That is wrong!!!

Steve

Archived