Windsurf May 25,2009 Nice-Rome

CFSI

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is anyone else booked on this cruise?

We are! My husband and I will be joining the cruise May 25th in Nice. We're going to be in Paris for a few days before that and then spend that pre-cruise weekend in Nice sight seeing. Will you be there too? Also, we're looking for someone to share ground transportation with us when we dock in Rome -- cheaper that way! We're from Southern California. And you?

Myra and Stan

Hi,

Yes we are on the May 25th sailing. We are also sailing on the Wind Star from Athens on June 6th after spending some time in Rome and Greece in between.

Ken and Judy

Sounds great. We opted to do five days in Paris pre-cruise and two days in Rome afterwards. (We spent some time in Rome and Sicily last year.) We are coming from Orange County, California.

Would you be interested in sharing ground transportation from the port in Rome to Rome destination after we dock?

Myra and Stan

Sounds great. We opted to do five days in Paris pre-cruise and two days in Rome afterwards. (We spent some time in Rome and Sicily last year.) We are coming from Orange County, California.

Would you be interested in sharing ground transportation from the port in Rome to Rome destination after we dock?

Myra and Stan

progress.gif

We will be staying in Nice pre cruise but only one night. We are traveling light and plan on taking the train to Rome. Here are some links with some great directions:

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

http://goitaly.about.com/od/romeitaly/a/civitavecchia.htm

Our Hotel in Rome is near the Termini Station. We are also from Southern California (Camarillo).

Ken and Judy

Thanks for the info. Where will you be staying in Nice? We will be at the Hotel Marina. Though we have done a lot of traveling, we have not done cruising except for one disappointing trip to Alaska. We are from Lake Forest, outside of Irvine. Looking forward to meeting you.

Myra and Stan

We are staying at a small hotel in Nice, the Campanile, Nice Centre. In Rome we are staying at a place called Parker Hotel. We tend to stay at smaller hotels when we travel as we generally don't spend much time in them.

Ken and Judy

Hi, Everyone!

I'm new to this, hope I'm doing it right!

A friend and I are also joining the cruise. Any suggestions on where to stay in Rome for a couple of nights? Last time I was there the place called themselves a hotel, but acted like a hostel and threw you out for the middle of the day so the railroad people could sleep! We'd like a place fairly near the Vatican, sort of mid-priced, average ammenities. I am SOOO looking forward to this trip and meeting all of you! So, on the Wind Surf can we really leave the fancy clothes at home? Any insider clues? How about the food? Stick to the main restaurant or do the Bistro?

We are also trying to get together a group for a shore excursion to Florence from Livorno. Last year we took a transatlantic cruise and found a fantastic guide in Rome. He is able to arrange this Florence trip for us and to do a tour in Rome, too, like we had last year for anyone who would like it. (My friend and I don't want to do Rome since we just did it last year.) I've had tours in many places and this had to have been #1 or #2 on my favorites list, worldwide. I learned about things I didn't even know I wanted to know about. All for almost the price of transportation alone. I could go on and on, it was just that fantastic. I'll be happy to email anyone complete details. mimipechon@gmail.com Thanks for your help! MiMi

We would be interested in joining a group to Florence (depending on the price!) from Livorno.

My understanding this cruise is "casual," i.e. dress code! Anyway, I intend to be "casual." We are really looking forward to our Windsurf cruise. Hope it's what I'm anticipating!

Myra (and husband STan)

It is incredibly easy to take the train from Livorno to Florence on your own. We did it with no problem on our last Windstar cruise and had a great time.

I am not sure what you mean by dress is "casual"? As in no formal nights?

Hi! We are looking foward to being on board in 2 weeks. It is our first time on Windstar- a few other times on larger cruise ships. We are only staying in Rome for the one day at the end of the cruise. We have booked a full day tour of Rome leaving from the dock in the morning with a return to the airport at the end of the day.We have an evening flight on May 31. If anyone is interested in joining us, it would cut down on the cost quite a bit.(currently 400 Euros for 2). Hope to see you soon.

Sue and Larry

Hi, Mykielou,

We'd love to have you join us to have a guided tour of Firenze! I've been in contact with Maurizio, who was our guide last year in Rome, (the most AMAZING tour!) and he would arrange with his associate to pick us up in Livorno in a mini-bus (up to 8 people) stop in Pisa, if we'd like, and take us to all the places we'd want to see in Florence, eat, drink, have gelato, and bring us back to the ship nine hours or so later. If it's like we did last year in Rome, (which I fully expect it to be) I'm sure it will be fantastic. Because of the small number of people and the small, very comfortable bus (it was like one of the big tour buses, with big windows and very comfortable seats...just small) we could be taken to within steps of the Trevi fountain, park at the back door of the Pantheon and be dropped off practically at the front door of St Peter's and everyplace else we visited. There was also another guide on board, who was incredibly informative. We could pretty much decide our time schedule by mutual agreement, and were given many choices throughout the day. The cost (again, for up to 8 people) for the Florence trip would be 550 Euro. There are smaller cars and vans, but the "Sprinter" is the most cost effective, per person. There are also larger buses, but then you lose some of the flexibility. So, Myra, if you and Stan join Geary and I, there will still be availablity for 4 more on our trip. For anyone interested in the Rome trip, Maurizio would pick you up at the port, give you a full day tour, and since you would not be taken back to the port, the cost would be 500 Euro for up to 8 people. Is it time to start packing yet?? MiMi

Mimi,

We would like to join you on this tour. We had thought about doing it ourselves by train but I think this is a much better alternative. Please sign us up. I am sure you can fill the last two seats as well once we get on the Windsurf and tell others about it. I agree though that it would be best to keep it no more than eight.

Ken and Judy

Hi Mimi, THanks.

We would like to join you guys on the Florence tour that you suggest. The 550 price for 8 people sounds good. Should we try to agree on an itinerary now? Or wait til later? Or what do you suggest? And what do Ken and Judy suggest? Stan and I have been in Florence but many years ago and are looking forward to it as well as the rest of the trip. We will be flying to Paris this coming Sunday, arriving Monday, and will be there until Sat. the 23rd, at which time we'll fly down to Nice -- be there at noon Saturday at the Hotel Marina.

Myra

Nice to meet you Sue and Larry. Where are you guys from? Re: tour of Rome on Sunday - I'll have to talk to Stan about this; we may just be too tired! We will be leaving Rome early Tuesday morning but will be staying up at the airport at the Hilton Sunday and Monday nights. How much would your tour cost us? And where would we be going?

Myra

Hi, Ken and Judy, Myra and Stan,

That sounds great! So glad you can join us! I think it's best to leave the basic itinerary to the professional and then modify it as we go, if we want a little more time here, or less there. I was in Florence a couple of years ago with my daughter, but we were on such a long trip all over the country, that it's all a blur, except for "David." On the Rome tour last year, Maurizio had the usual trip for the day planned, but then we got to decide if we wanted a quick sandwich or a longer, fancier lunch, go to the catcombs, stop for gelato or not, go into the Forum or just look around from outside and then move on. It's one of his colleagues that will be doing the Florence trip for us, but I imagine we should have the same type options. I'm sure we'll be able to pick up a couple more people to join us. In fact the trip we were on last year started out with just the one person who booked it before she left home because she'd never been to Rome, and by the time we'd crossed the ocean there was a long waiting list! Myra and Stan, have a great stay in Paris and Nice! I would have loved to go early and stay on for several days instead of just two, but my friend is marrying off her daughter this Saturday, the 16th! Bring spare libations for her to help her drown her tears! Our cabin is #220, but the ship is small enough that we can surely find each other! Ken and Judy are you going over early or staying on in Rome?

HELP! We have tried to submit our immigration forms to Windstar, but they won't go through. I've filled out the questionnaire regarding personal info, passport numbers, etc. and then when I try to submit the questionnaire it goes round and round, i.e. I keep getting the same screen. Nothing goes through. denied pass If this keeps up, we will be denied passage. Further, none of my e-mail messages are going through to Windstar or Vacations to Go! Has anyone else had this problem? What do we do? (By the way, Mimi, if we DO get to go on this cruise, our stateroom is 243.)

Myra

HELP! We have tried to submit our immigration forms to Windstar, but they won't go through. I've filled out the questionnaire regarding personal info, passport numbers, etc. and then when I try to submit the questionnaire it goes round and round, i.e. I keep getting the same screen. Nothing goes through. If this keeps up, we will be denied passage. Further, none of my e-mail messages are going through to Windstar or Vacations to Go! Has anyone else had this problem? What do we do?

Myra (Mykielou)

progress.gif

HELP! We have tried to submit our immigration forms to Windstar, but they won't go through. I've filled out the questionnaire regarding personal info, passport numbers, etc. and then when I try to submit the questionnaire it goes round and round, i.e. I keep getting the same screen. Nothing goes through. If this keeps up, we will be denied passage. Further, none of my e-mail messages are going through to Windstar or Vacations to Go! Has anyone else had this problem? What do we do?

Myra (Mykielou)

progress.gif

Myra,

We are on the May 17th Windsurf. I have had the same problem over and over with the on line form not working. I gave up and filled out the paper forms in our blue pouch with the other travel docs. You won't be denied boarding. They collect the forms in the lounge after you board and they always have extra forms available for people who forgot them. Just don't forget your passport... that you DO need!

Archived