Skating on RCI

beastiemom

Good point about the skates. My guy wouldn't know what to do with toe picks.

Too bad they don't have hockey times as well as open skate. Not that I would want to bring all our hockey stuff, but I'm sure the kids that play hockey would have a great time doing pick-up games with new friends from across the country. But I know there is only limited time available, and maybe limited interest. I'm sure we will find lots of things to do on the boat.

Hey they don't have curling rocks/brooms and times for curling either :D! Some things just aren't practical!

Good point about the skates. My guy wouldn't know what to do with toe picks.

Too bad they don't have hockey times as well as open skate. Not that I would want to bring all our hockey stuff, but I'm sure the kids that play hockey would have a great time doing pick-up games with new friends from across the country. But I know there is only limited time available, and maybe limited interest. I'm sure we will find lots of things to do on the boat.

There was a movie about a hockey player who ended up training for pairs in figure. (The name escapes me.) I remember a scene about learning about toe picks. She's this snotty ice queen and keeps saying, "Toe pick..." My DH and I have used that same little joke because he grew up on hockey skates and I grew up in figures. He was so pleased that the ships had hockey skates available. He doesn't care for figure skates.

As for having pick-up games. It's a nice thought but not possible for so many reasons. They'd have to have a ton of different times to accomodate all ages and skill levels; the rink is so tiny they would be tripping all over each other and beaning each other without even meaning to do so (the rink is that teeny); the injury numbers would be unbelievable; and (how put this nicely) the cruise line wouldn't want to deal with some of the "sports parents" out there who are ultra-competitive regardless of how "casual" things are. So, add all that to the time needed for practices/rehearsals for the ice show, open skating for all levels, sessions for those who bring their own skates, and times that rink is closed for other reasons, it's a no go even if there was a lot of interest in it. We've actually been quite impressed with the quality of the ice shows considering the size of the rink and the fact that the ship is underway while they are performing.

beachchick

The Cutting Edge:D

Thank you! I just hate it when my memory problems kick in and then I sit there trying to think, "What was that???" I remember it being what we'd call a "cute" movie with the obligatory happy ending. I also remember rolling my eyes and such because they used dark rinks and spotlights for the competitions. Please! OTOH, my DH reminded me, "Sweetie, it's a movie, just have fun watching it." This from my plane-happy (flight enthusiast; from a family of pilots; has done some flying) man who can't stand the slightest inaccuracy in movies that involve airplanes. It's apparently a much higher category of "wrongness" in that case.;)

beachchick

Hi guys,

First message I've posted since being back...

They had size 11s on Navigator. DH got the skates, so I don't know the complete range of sizes, but there were really little kids skating (smaller than DD who is a very small age 6).

:)

I skated on AOS. The first time my dd had recently turned 3. They had a kids size helmet as well as skates that fit. At that time she wore a size 8 stride rite and they had size 8 skates for her. I remember that because I was happily surprised to find that they had them for her size and was told that they started at that size. The following summer she also skated. She was 4 and wearing a size 9.5 or 10 and again they had skates in her size.

The first summer I mostly dragged her around but last summer she could slowly move all over the rink by herself.

I also had no problem getting inline skates that fit her but she only tried that at age 4.

On Navigator last week, the rink wasn't open for skating the last 2 days of the cruise. So I was happy we had done it earlier in the week.

It seems that they have the rink closed on days that there is a show (likely to keep the ice in decent shape). So if you can't get a straight answer on all the specific hours for open skating, just find out what days the skating shows are and plan for no skating on those days.

Some other notes:

1) The performers of the ice show actually run the rink and conduct the lessons. The team we had this past week on Mariner were great.

2) Parents can sign a single waiver for the entire cruise covering everyone. My kids (16 and 14) could then check themselves into any open session. I am not sure what the minimum age would be for this.

3) Kids with their own skates seemed to be able to stay on the ice as long as they wanted. Those with the ship's skates needed to get off the ice after each session - about 50 minutes

Archived