Skating on RCI

beastiemom

Can anyone tell me about kids skating on the ice rink? Are there hockey skate rentals (and hockey sticks and helmets)? What are the age limits? Are there only certain hours they can skate? Can they do this through Adventure Ocean?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hockey is not allowed on the rinks. The rinks are tiny in comparison to a regulation rink. They're about 20 feet by 20 feet. There are plastic skates for rent. The ice rink is only open for short periods of time. There are specific sessions available for those who have brought their own skates. Adventure Ocean won't take them to the rink. A parent must sign a waiver at the rink for children who will be skating. There is no age limit.

Can anyone tell me about kids skating on the ice rink? Are there hockey skate rentals (and hockey sticks and helmets)? What are the age limits? Are there only certain hours they can skate? Can they do this through Adventure Ocean?

The ice rink is for ice skating, not hockey. I don't know if there are hockey skates available, just ice skates (though you can bring hockey skates from home if you wish). The skates are not for rent - they are free. NO HOCKEY STICKS OR HELMETS. No age limit that I know of. The public skate times are listed in the Daily Compass (the ship's newspaper). I don't know if Adventure Ocean would bring the kids to the skating rink unless it was a private session (AO only).

IMG_2432.jpg

1sia-Freedomicerink.jpg

1sib-IMG_2422.jpg

Actually they DO have helmets for the kids. It's for protection during a fall while skating...not hockey. ;)

Adventure Ocean does not take the kids to the ice skating rink.

They had kids as young as 3 skating when we were there 2 weeks ago.

And you have to sign your life away for him to be able to skate....lol. The sessions are 45 minutes. They have advanced skater sessions for those who bring their own skates. Then they have open skate. Look for it on a sea day...that seems to be when they had the most open times.

These picture were taken on Independence of the Seas.

309.jpg

310.jpg

313.jpg

314.jpg

315.jpg

Thanks cruisnmama06. I was surprised when someone said they didn't have helmets. Maybe because of our hockey association rules, which require everyone, including coaches to wear helmets, but I wouldn't let my kids on the ice without one (no judgements, jmho).

I'll just have to check with my DS to see how much he wants to skate. If they have stuff there, I'm sure we can get by for 45 minutes or so with that. No use hauling hockey skates and helmets half way across the country.

I'll remember to pack socks and pants, though if he does.

Michele,

Do you remember what boot sizes they had when you were on the ship?

I read elsewhere on the boards that they didn't have certain "in-between" sizes for kids (i.e. they went up to toddler 10 and then picked up at size 3 or something like that (dd wears an 11).

Michele,

Do you remember what boot sizes they had when you were on the ship?

I read elsewhere on the boards that they didn't have certain "in-between" sizes for kids (i.e. they went up to toddler 10 and then picked up at size 3 or something like that (dd wears an 11).

They didn't tell me that. My oldest daughter wears a 2 and I asked for it, got it. If that does occur, please let me know when you get back. I would be interested to know about it. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if there is an age minimum and if we can get a toddler size 8 skate? DS will be 33 months but I would be skating with him - holding on tight!

I looked for an age minimum but I didn't see one. There was a 3 year old skating with her dad...well, not so much skating but being dragged around the ice...lol. ;)

Have you seen how toddlers "skate"...you pretty much have to hold them under the arms and their feet barely touch the ground. It's hard on your back, believe me, I've tried. ;) (not on a ship but at the ice rink in my hometown)

This time, I made my 4 year old sit on the sidelines while her big sis skated. My back needed the brake. :D

This time, I made my 4 year old sit on the sidelines while her big sis skated. My back needed the brake.

You have to be more specific. What kind of a break?

Break dancing ...

break.dance.road1.jpg

A work break ...

union-cat-is-on-a-break.jpg

Prison break ...

PrisonBreak_logo.jpg

Spring beak ...

spring_break_cabo.jpg

Egg break ...

39-BreakEgg.jpg

Break up ...

break-up.jpg

No hockey. Helmets, knee pads, elbow pads there if needed.

Loads of different sizes. If you want hockey skates make sure you ask for them. My 8 year old couldn't skate with the skates he was wearing (and he is a hockey player) noticed toe picks on the skates. Swapped them for the hockey skates and all was good.

Check the compass for the skating times. Sometimes as many as 2 times a day plus a learn to skate hour for beginners. Not sure on the age limits but I am sure its on the waiver. AO never took them skating. (this was on the adventure - but I am sure its the same for all ships)

Good point about the skates. My guy wouldn't know what to do with toe picks.

Too bad they don't have hockey times as well as open skate. Not that I would want to bring all our hockey stuff, but I'm sure the kids that play hockey would have a great time doing pick-up games with new friends from across the country. But I know there is only limited time available, and maybe limited interest. I'm sure we will find lots of things to do on the boat.

From the RCCL FAQ's:

Q: Is there a charge for skates or ice skating onboard? What size skates are there?

A: Skates and skating are complimentary on the ships with ice rinks. All skates are unisex. We offer figure and hockey style skates in adult sizes only. Skates are very similar to regular rental boots rented at most ice rinks.

We carry the following sizes:

Children size: 2 - 7

Adult size: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9.5, 10, 11, 12, 12.5, 13

I've read on these boards about smaller children skating - and there is no way a three year old wears a kids' size 2, so they must have smaller sizes. But, just in case, we're packing my daughter's skates (J12) because she would be so disappointed if they didn't have her size.

I just hope they either (a) let her skate during the rental time or (b) let me skate with her during the "bring your own skate time" because I'd like to skate as well, but I'm not dragging my skates along too. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of luggage weight, but not THAT much. It's not as though, at 6, she's all that "advanced".

Thanks Patty!

Will let you guys know what sizes are on Navigator when we return. Does seem odd, no? Last time DD wore a size 7 was probably age 3. She's almost 6 now and wears a kids 11. I suppose with extra socks she could do an adult 1, but that is not at all ideal for ice skating.

I wonder if the kids sizes are for kids ages 2-7 because it does seem a bit weird not to have skates for the 3-7 year old age group.:rolleyes:

Bringing our own are not an option as we don't own any. Rollerblades for adults, yeah, but not gonna lug those with us.

Good to know they have helmets.

Next time try a folding chair (although they may not allow this on the boat). That is how they teach the little ones around here to skate. They push the chair around it helps keep their balance and saves your back!

No way in H would that be allowed in the skating rinks onboard. The rinks are tiny as it is with many newbie/novice skaters. It was a real challenge dodging some of them. I can just see 40 toddlers with chairs...There would be no room for anyone else. Plus the kids (and their chairs) would be bumping into each other causing countless injuries. It sounds like a good idea for regular rinks or outdoor ice skating where there's plenty of room. I can see how it would be helpful.

beachchick

Beachchick-

If there are a lot of people on the ice and the rink is small, you're right, they would allow it. I was just making the point that if cruisinmama06 was trying to teach her little one how to skate at home, that a lot of the intro to skate programs do this. Although they have 12-15 toddlers at a time on the ice, there are not others there trying to dodge them. And if they are first learning to skate, they don't go very fast, so not too many injuries.

For the skate sizes, do you think they mean 2-7 as toddler sizes, and then 1-13.5 for kids/adult sizes? That would seem to cover all ages.

On AOS last month there was open skating as well as a learn to skate session.

If I remember correctly my 5 year used size 11 skates and the smallest size was 10. The skates are like ski boots on a blade so very easy to tighten across the foot and around the ankle if a bit big.

• 1 month later...

Archived