Mexico Ken

glgolfer

There was a terrible virus going around the Mariner for many days......and Ken got hit with it.........and along with a weakened heart, he lost his battle for life. He died peacefully.......in his sleep at sea.

God Bless!!

Rick

Thanks for giving us this extra information.

If anyone hears about the funeral arrangements, please do post the details.

I had a Poncha last night in Ken's honour.

It's still hard to realize that Ken has gone to the great Concierge Lounge in the heavens. So many fond memories of Ken but I will always remember our Easy Jet flight from London to Barcelona. Ken used a wheelchair and they treated us like royalty even reserving the front row of the plane for us. We felt so special. Thanks, Ken for the memories.

andrew

We didn't know them too well, but we were on the Brilliance TA Dec. 2007 and the Jewel TA in 2008 with them. What a shock! Completing the cruise of a lifetime and dying in your sleep-wow. I guess if we had to choose a way to go, even if too soon, that would be it. Condolences to Pene.

The following appeared in the El Paso Times:

Ken De More

Ken De More was born in Syracuse, NY on September 20, 1941 and passed away on February 18, 2009, while traveling on a cruise around South America. He was doing the thing he loved best and also with the woman that he had loved for 41 years. He is survived by his wife Pene De More, daughter Suzy De More, son Michael De More, Daughter in-law Susan Walker, and grandsons Sean and Matthew De More. Ken was a long time educator who worked in both the El Paso and Ysleta School Districts. Funeral mass will be held Friday February 27 at 9:30 AM at Queen of Peace Catholic Church.

The following appeared in the El Paso Times:

Ken De More

Ken De More was born in Syracuse, NY on September 20, 1941 and passed away on February 18, 2009, while traveling on a cruise around South America. He was doing the thing he loved best and also with the woman that he had loved for 41 years. He is survived by his wife Pene De More, daughter Suzy De More, son Michael De More, Daughter in-law Susan Walker, and grandsons Sean and Matthew De More. Ken was a long time educator who worked in both the El Paso and Ysleta School Districts. Funeral mass will be held Friday February 27 at 9:30 AM at Queen of Peace Catholic Church.

We were very sad to learn that a very special person has cruised on ahead of us. We met Ken & Pene on the a Jewel transatlantic and enjoyed the Butler tour in Ireland when we kissed the Blarney stone.

(((Hugs to Pene))) We always think of you when we stop into a Hard Rock cafe.

Sandy,Ray, & Monty

I too hope that Pene will continue to cruise in time. After 60+ cruises together, I lost my wife last spring. At first, I thought my cruising days were over but I got a lot of encouragement to keep it up both from family and friends, including Cruise Critic friends. The CC friends said come along, you'll be among friends and that was certainly true. I have now completed two cruises on my own and have three more booked. I have had many CC friends and other old friends on both ships and have made a lot of new friends as well. I'm sure Pene would find the same experience and in fact she and Ken were among those friends that encouraged me. Frequent cruisers are very nice friendly people and the closer confines of a cruise ship makes it easier to make new friends than it is at home. So Pene, if you are reading this, give it a little time and then "Get out there". We'll all be there to help you over the rough spots.

• Administrators

From the entire staff at Cruise Critic:

We're sorry for Pene's loss, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

With deepest sympathy,

Laura

Thanks for giving us this extra information.

If anyone hears about the funeral arrangements, please do post the details.

I had a Poncha last night in Ken's honour.

It's still hard to realize that Ken has gone to the great Concierge Lounge in the heavens. So many fond memories of Ken but I will always remember our Easy Jet flight from London to Barcelona. Ken used a wheelchair and they treated us like royalty even reserving the front row of the plane for us. We felt so special. Thanks, Ken for the memories.

andrew

To Andrew, Rick, our hosts and many others - the cruise community has lost a legend. Too soon, but thank goodness it was peaceful. Thank you all to you as well for the memories and pics and information. I only met Ken and Pene once, and didn't have the experience with them others have, but they both have made their mark on the cruise community.

Fran in Toronto

KEN i never met you but with cruise critic we have all met each other in one form or another...your dream and love for crusing will live on in all of us...make a promise to yourself and your loved ones to enjoy and get the most out of everyday...on land or sea...i would like to make a suggestion to the folks that monitor and run this web site that we in some form or another dedicate a scetion of the forum to KEN...maybe change the name of the meet and mingle section to the MEXICO KEN MEET & MINGLE SITE...just a suggestion

Archived