Making your luggage stand out

Luckysll

I have been using baggage "straps" for years. We usually have two large bags when we go on a cruise or a flight. One of the straps is bright emerald green and the other is bright

fuschia. You'd be surprised how fast I find my bags on the airport carousel and in the baggage claim area at the pier. Also, if something goes wrong with zippers on the bag or if it rips, etc. the strap holds everything together. ;)

That's what I use too, but I carry it a step farther. I take a permanent marker and write our last name every six inches along the belt from one end to the other. No one can EVER say that they thought it was their bag by mistake.

I put yellow duct tape on everyside of our luguage. I know its tacky, tacky, I dont care!! Once coming back from Puta Cana we had to find our luguage in a big mess of a room full of it in Miami, If it wasen't for that ugly yellow tape we would still be looking for it!!

We do the exact same thing except we use Bright Pink duct tape! We put big X's on each side and a strip on the top and bottom. Do not care who thinks it is tacky - I can always spot my luggage.

I am surprised it hasnt been burned yet!!

GO WINGS :D

You cheer for the Wings and you are a Canuk - how rude. Only teasing, I would think either Canadiens or Ottawa - you must be from Windsor area, am I right? My husband actually has a Canadien luggage tag - you can certain tell who cheers for who in our family - hate to admit it but I am an Islander fan and picked them when they first joindc up - they were the 11th team to come on board. So for stealing this thread. I will stop now.

DH and I have the same initials, so I have stenciled our initials (Monogramed them if you will) LARGE letters both sides. Our luggage is brown with gold stenciling. We can spot ours in an instant. Seems as though the luggage always comes off of the conveyor with the backside up.

I used permanent fabric glue and glued strips of patterned ribbon to all sides of our black luggage.

When we purchased new pieces of luggage and a camera case, couldn't find spools of ribbon to match, so I bought some fabric with the same pattern, sewed the edges, and glued the strips to the new luggage and case.

VERY easy to spot our cases from a distance and they look classy.

An airline passenger asked how it was done, and we've gotten positive comments from shuttle drivers :).

I love everyone's ideas! We have the round, neon green luggage tags from Target or Wal-mart, but I've noticed that more and more people are using them so they aren't so helpful anymore. On our Valor cruise, I tied American flag print bows on the handles. It was a cruise over the 4th of July and the Valor has an Americana theme. It's time for a change :). I like the bandana and dollar store scarf idea a lot.

I have luggage tags that have my moms business name on them, they aren't anything crazy but I can spot them from a mile away. Good thing too, last time I flew I saw them coming, I was waiting on the other side of the carousel and this women took my bag off and started walking away. I chased her down, it was amazing though, she didn't even look at the tag.

The DH and I have Jeep luggage. Mine is bright orange, and I even have a carry-on in the same color! The DH's is camoflage but says JEEP in bright silver reflective lettering. I usually make new luggage tags for each trip, and they are pretty easy to spot. I also have purple tags from Petfinder, but one got stolen off my luggage last trip.:mad:

I usually tie a color combination of ribbon on our luggage that would be hard for someone to duplicate. We haven't had too many problems finding it, but, I have seen (at Walmart) some luggage tags with a piece that goes on your keyring. The part that goes on your keyring acts like your clicker for your vehicle. I may take another look at them when I am in Walmart this weekend and may give them a try. Our luggage is black, but, my rolling garment bag is kinda of a burgundy color and I haven't seen too many that color.

A couple of years back, I decided to get pink Hawaiian print luggage for easy spotting. Checked it in for it's first trip...when it came off the carousel in Salt Lake City, it was completely destroyed. Zipper ripped away from the fabric. It's a wonder I didn't lose anything.

Had to stop at a Walmart in Idaho and all they had was black luggage. When I got home, I went to Michael's and bought a bunch of iron on patches and ironed them on there. Of course, I need the suitcase to come off face up for quick identification. :o

That suitcase is pretty much on it's last legs and let me tell you....my next set will be an obnoxious color. ;)

We also have wild suitcases, it may not be everyones style but I can spot those babies a mile away!! I use a Kathy Van Zeeland leopard set and my daughter has the set with crowns all over it. My son has a bright blue suitcase, but I'm waiting on a sale to purchase him some really cool Ed Hardy ones (very colorful with lots of graphics). Here's samples of what we have (not the whole set of course;)!)...

Catwalk-pic.jpg.e9c4247ce24adde8197d2d53867cbab8.jpg

My-Mink-Pic.jpg.58d48ff5d27e63186472f05a0332fb3f.jpg

I have a bright orange luggage set. I have never had a problem locating any piece of it. I can see it across the baggage claim area if it has already come down the conveyor belt. I love love love my luggage. My zippers pulls have broken on a couple of pieces but I just can't get rid of them. I can see them so well. :)

rocky-- If you still have an intact hole use split rings (key chain rings) for your zipper pulls.

We use bright blue, a weird light green, and sometimes red for our luggage. Oh yeah DD just reminded me that hers is bright yellow. They all get the same ugly fabric ties.

My sis outlined her hands complete with nail polish on her all sides of her black luggage.

I like all of the suitcases with the funky prints and colors but a lot of them seem to be made out of crappy material (compared to your average black suitcase). Of course, it all depends on the brand. My suitcase is a kind of gross greenish color so it is not too hard to spot. However, I did have a bright orange plastic luggage tag attached that had my first name on the outside. Apparently it didn'y make it all the way to San Juan though! :mad: I was mad because when we were packing to get off the ship I noticed it was gone! Luckily my mom had attached an extra to my carry-on. My mom put a bright green luggage strap around her plain black suitcase so she could find it but that didn't make it to San Juan either! Luckily (I guess in a way at least) our bags were overweight on the way down so when we got to San Juan they weren't even on the carosel- there were about 10 suitcases put off to the side next to the carosel and that's where ours were! :) Couldn't have been much easier than that!

Yep, I love colorful luggage for being able to spot easily. I have a sest of red with white dots. The boys groaned after I purchased them and brought them home. But after arrival at the baggage claim for the first cruise with that luggage they admitted that we could see them from quite a distance.

luggage.jpg.76027be6f86d27fc357a7279489d5f57.jpg

I like all of the suitcases with the funky prints and colors but a lot of them seem to be made out of crappy material (compared to your average black suitcase). Of course, it all depends on the brand.

I noticed the same thing, a lot of them were a thin canvas like material, so I wanted something more durable. The Kathy Van Zeeland sets I have are a bit expensive but I bought mine at TJ MAXX & Marshalls, they carry a lot of KVZ luggage and the price was really affordable. I noticed they carry quite a few other higher end brands that are very durable, you can save a bundle buying them there!

I made flourescent orange pom poms for ours. After losing a couple of them I started braiding six strands of yarn together to make the tie but I dont tie it on. I actually braid it right around the handle. Havent lost a pom pom since. havent lost luggage either.

We travel with friends a lot so I made their pom poms out of flourescent green. Now when the hubbys go to grab luggage we tell them 3 orange and 2 green or whatever the count is and know when they have found it all.

The pom poms are always on top when we enter those massive halls to claim our luggage.

Archived