Starbucks instant coffee

norwega

Though I don't often frequent Starbucks, I do like their style of coffee and have found the free coffee on NCL/Princess lacking. I'm hoping the Starbucks instant will be the answer to my morning coffee on board!

My wife & I were just discussing the same yesterday!

I went to their site and can't find the link for a free sample...am I missing it?

Thanks' date='[/quote']

I just went to the link I used yesterday and unfortunately it states that the free samples are no longer available; they must have already had the maximum number of people request them.

If you have a Starbucks card, you should have received an e-mail earlier this week with a link to get the free sample.

• 2 months later...

If you can handle Folger's, I would suggest taking along the 'single cup coffee bags'. Much like a Tea bag but the coffee tastes more like freshly brewed then instand.

And you were very kind saying Princess coffee is 'lacking'. The coffee served is down right 'nasty' and I have never been able to handle the terrible smell of the stuff.

I got my free sample and it was really good! I can't wait to find some in their store.

Right now it's only online and in select markets. I found it in Chicago last weekend, and I the barista said also in Seattle and a couple of other large cities.

It is basically impossible to make a good cup of coffee using the on-board water. Health regulations (and best practices ... I am NOT complaining about the regulations) means that the water supply is heavily laced with chemicals .. much more so than normal city water. You could take the world's best coffee, brew it in a Krup Moka machine (the best way to produce brewed coffee) and you will still end up with something drinkable and not much better.

Bottom line: your coffee will be better if you use bottled water.

Though I don't often frequent Starbucks, I do like their style of coffee and have found the free coffee on NCL/Princess lacking. I'm hoping the Starbucks instant will be the answer to my morning coffee on board!

They sell this in the Starbucks here, and it's actually not bad. We have been taking it with us when traveling and it's been great to have.

It is basically impossible to make a good cup of coffee using the on-board water. Health regulations (and best practices ... I am NOT complaining about the regulations) means that the water supply is heavily laced with chemicals .. much more so than normal city water.

Where did you get your information on the chemicals in ship water? Especially being "much more so than normal city water"? In some ports, they take water on from shore, and otherwise its desalinated sea water (e.g. distilled water).

Manbehindthecurtain talks a bit about it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=967183&highlight=reverse+osmosis

I got a packet of three for my husband and we tried it yesterday. I didn't tell him I was using it (we usually do instant in the first am) He asked me if I made a pot of coffee I of course said no. We really liked it and may use it again. I thought about bringing some on our cruise in May. :)

Where did you get your information on the chemicals in ship water? Especially being "much more so than normal city water"? In some ports, they take water on from shore, and otherwise its desalinated sea water (e.g. distilled water).

Manbehindthecurtain talks a bit about it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=967183&highlight=reverse+osmosis

I got my information from the person who heads (or used to head) health and safety for the second largest cruise line. The information was confirmed by the head of health and safety for one of the luxury lines.

I am not arguing with the source of the water. However, once it is taken on-board or deionized (through reverse osmosis which does not produce distilled water and does not remove all the bacteria let alone virii) it still needs to be stored on-board. Chemicals are added to it at this point.

As with most things in life, cost versus quality is a trade-off. The cheaper ways of providing safe water also produce the poorer tasting water.

I am more than willing to grant that the above information might be out-of-date and/or I might have misunderstood the explanations. I do know that coffee on-board every ship I have been on has been less than wonderful.. even when good, fresh coffee was used.

I am not arguing with the source of the water. However, once it is taken on-board or deionized (through reverse osmosis which does not produce distilled water and does not remove all the bacteria let alone virii) it still needs to be stored on-board. Chemicals are added to it at this point.

The post I refered to specifically said they do not use reverse osmosis. :confused:

And we do not use reverse osmosis to make fresh water, all is done with evaporation/condensation of seawater.

Evaporation/condensation = distillation

But, different ships may do different things.

Archived