Lets Talk Wine!!!!!

aanda

Going back to Cakebread Chardonnay. I am really not a red wine drinker so cannot comment on the red wine. We drink Cakebread like you would a bottle of Champagne on a special occasion. I would rather drink Cakebread than Champagne.

In Chops the Cakebread Chardonnay was $50 with $7.50 tip so it was $57.50.

Going back to Cakebread Chardonnay. I am really not a red wine drinker so cannot comment on the red wine. We drink Cakebread like you would a bottle of Champagne on a special occasion. I would rather drink Cakebread than Champagne.

Aside from the price, which seems about right for a restaurant, do you have a web site for the wines available at Chops and/or Portofinos?

Another white available on RCCL that we like is Caymus Conundrum. The price is similar to the Cakebread.

I don't understand what these people are thinking when they compare buying in a store to buying in an upscale restaurant or the MDR on an Rccl ship.

I tend to agree restaurant comparisons make more sense. My problem with RCI wine pricing is that RCI can buy the wine tax and duty free and when they sell it in international waters they do not have to collect any taxes or duties. So, when RCI has a wine priced for the same as I would pay in a local restaurant, they are actually making 25-40% more profit on that bottle. Good for them if they can get it, but it takes a really nice wine to tempt me to help out their bottom line to that extent.

The other night I was talking with my dad about our recent cruise and we realized that we had not ordered any wine even though we both enjoy it with dinner. I had perused the wine list the first night and found nothing that really tempted me. Had the prices been a little more reasonable this probably wouldn't have been the case.

Do they have any good reds?

Sherri,

There were several excellent red wines on the reserve list, and all were priced lower than I have ever seen in restaurants. Duckhorn Merlot was $69 +15% = $79. It is normally $90-110 or more. Merryvale Reserve Merlot was $66 + 15% = $76. Normally $90 or so. And Stag's Leap Cellars Merlot was $66 + 15% = $76, mormally $85-95.

If you like Duckhorn (we do), it is priced very reasonably. We had one most nights, and tried the Merryvale and the Stag's Leap one time each. Both are nice wines.

We brought in my suitcase a few lesser bottles for the balcony, as the pricing for such wines on the ship is too stiff (3-4 times retail is no exaggeration).

maxmtex

Sherri,

There were several excellent red wines on the reserve list, and all were priced lower than I have ever seen in restaurants. Duckhorn Merlot was $69 +15% = $79. It is normally $90-110 or more. Merryvale Reserve Merlot was $66 + 15% = $76. Normally $90 or so. And Stag's Leap Cellars Merlot was $66 + 15% = $76, mormally $85-95.

If you like Duckhorn (we do), it is priced very reasonably. We had one most nights, and tried the Merryvale and the Stag's Leap one time each. Both are nice wines.

We brought in my suitcase a few lesser bottles for the balcony, as the pricing for such wines on the ship is too stiff (3-4 times retail is no exaggeration).

maxmtex

The Jordan Cab was good as well, and priced fairly reasonably compared to restaurant prices. Yummy with a good steak!!

Aside from the price, which seems about right for a restaurant, do you have a web site for the wines available at Chops and/or Portofinos?

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560040409VZdLVw

This is the list from 2007, which is outdated, but will give you an idea. Also, go here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562747533yjShXM

for the dining room wine list as of early 2008, including the reserve list. It hadn't changed as of November.

Drinking wine by the glass is the most expensive route and the selection is limited. Once a bottle is opened, they have to sell it in a day or two before the wine oxidizes.

Not necessarily so. Generally, if you multiply the price of the glass by 4, it should be close to the price of the bottle. If it's more, then they are marking up getting just a glass of wine.

Looking at the list from Explorer, one glass is 1/4 the price of the bottle, so it looks like it's not going to be more expensive to just have a glass here and there instead of buying the bottle.

Archived