Worst food on an RCI ship?

CruiserFox

Excuse me to say that, but there are too many choices of bad food with RCI to name only one. Beautiful ship but a lot of work to do on the food that is degraded over the past last years, to bad for them and for us...

I've seen to many frozen items, pan (fish, meat, etc...) that usually were served fresh. Desserts look good but unfortunatly don't taste as they look and described.

Of course, everything depend of our own personnal taste.

We actually like it too :)

See, that's were personal preferences differ. ;)

I think that the same recipe may vary in execution from ship to ship?

My daughter LOVED the quesadilla too on the Jewel.

Case in point - I am MAD for the Vidalia Onion Tart but in my experience it was incredible on the Splendour, nice on the Freedom and Majesty and only so-so on the Jewel.

The coffee on most cruise lines is made from a syrup concentrate. The longer it sits keeping hot the worse it tastes.

I was about to say that. It is a syrup that is mixed with water when you press the button. Sometime the machines need to be cleaned or calibrated. Sometimes in the MDR it is pretty good.

The only places you can get fresh ground coffee is the CL, specialty resturants, or purchase it from the Seattle's Best counter.

To me it was the guacamole. They seriously need to find a better vendor for that. The curry to me was alright, just zero spice. I think RCI is not big on spice, might be afraid of upsetting more mild eaters.

Wondered how long it would take for the biscuits and gravy to come up. My husband said wallpaper paste would be better.

Anyone remember the Ranch Steak. Now that was truly nasty!

I "brew" my own iced tea, too. Take empty water bottles and put a tea bag in them and fill with water. On the Voyager the tap water was so hot when you turned on the cold water, it "brewed" (lol) I keep several bottles going so I always have some.

Tucker in Texas

Tucker in Texas

First I'll start off by saying RCI does a great job feeding thousands of passengers all day long, and I enjoyed most of the food but my top 3 least favorite items are 1. the french onion soup, way too salty, 2. the scrambled eggs from the buffet, rehydrated eggs are just gross and 3. the New England bay scallop pasta, the oil was already separated from the cream when served to me and it just did not sit well in the tummy.

In the last few years we have noticed a real decline in the food quality in the WJ and MDR on RCCL. Took a Carnival Mediterranean cruise last fall because it was a real bargain. Went with low expectations and were absolutely amazed by the food! The quality and taste were so much better. We wonder why, except for honey stung chicken, they can't use white meat in the WJ? We really like RCCL but book them with the knowledge that the food experience is not going to be great. We won't starve by any means, but just sad that the food experience is not up to the cruise experience.

DH always makes me iced tea from hot tea with a cup of ice. I only drink the syrup made iced tea when I have to.:)

The awful vegetarian Quesadilla on every first nights menu....

Isn't it terrible???? Yuck, I thought I would gag on my first bite. Then again I like the grave and biscuits and I'm from the South where we still make the real thing. I'm basing my food on AOS only since I can't remember much of the others.

This gravy and biscuit thing really confused me on my first visit to the States.

We went to a Kentucky Fried Chicken in the Florida Keys - the nice lady asked us if we would like gravy and biscuits - now gravy I love (especially on my Sunday roast - not so sure about fried chicken though) but biscuits?

Of course our biscuit is your cookie - so you can understand my confusion.

They are kind of like a savoury scone right? (seeing as I declined her offer, I never found out)

This gravy and biscuit thing really confused me on my first visit to the States.

We went to a Kentucky Fried Chicken in the Florida Keys - the nice lady asked us if we would like gravy and biscuits - now gravy I love (especially on my Sunday roast - not so sure about fried chicken though) but biscuits?

They are kind of like a savoury scone right? (seeing as I declined her offer, I never found out)

I can understand your confusion! I remember the first time I visited London there were different names for trucks to raisins! Biscuits in the U.S. are made of flour, shortening and buttermilk, rolled out and cut with a round cutter. The sausage gravy I make consists of sausage, mined onion, flour and milk. It really is good, not totally healthy ;), but once in awhile is okay! If you would like the recipe, post your email and I will send it to you! Hope you will give it a try someday!!

Exactly, a biscuit is a savory scone, made in a very similar way. Breakfast gravy is usually made by browning crumbled breakfast sausage and making a roux from the rendered fat, and adding milk resulting in a thick gravy, lots of fresh ground pepper is a nice addition. So unhealthy but so darned good!

The smoked salmon pasta entree in the MDR... I thought it wasn't very good, but finished it anyway because it was passable for bad banquet food and I was hungry... our (quite experienced) server laughed and said I was the first person she ever saw finish it!

I generally enjoy most of the food on the ships, but my least favorite by far are the hamburgers in the WJ. Terrible.. I'm not even sure they're actually made of beef. I'm suspicious as to whether or not they even try to make them edible, seeing as the only actual alternative is Johnny Rockets, which they charge for.

Everything else, I haven't really had any complaints. :D I'm usually good for a 5-lb weight gain per cruise.

Archived