Travel Insurance Question

coconutball4u

When insuring your trip how much do you insure for? I am looking to purchase the protection for my 9/13 trip with the add-on of cancel for any reason. When trying to determine the cost I was wondering should I do the whole cost of the cruise or only 50% since I'd get 50% back if I cancel with 8 or more days.

When insuring your trip how much do you insure for? I am looking to purchase the protection for my 9/13 trip with the add-on of cancel for any reason. When trying to determine the cost I was wondering should I do the whole cost of the cruise or only 50% since I'd get 50% back if I cancel with 8 or more days.

Who told you you'll get 50% back with 8 days left. Better recheck that.

I would go for full cruise fare

Our rule of thumb is any amount that would not be refundable: air, pre-cruise hotel, cruise, etc. Since most insurance costs are per $500 increments, if your per person cruise is $800 purchase $1000 worth of coverage. If it's $1100, I would still purchase $1000 and eat any loss.

I agree, within 8 days of a cruise you are in total penalty 100%. If you fear a loss of job or cancellation of vacation time due to your job, add on the Cancel for work or any reason clause. You can't put a price on peace of mind.

Try insuremytrip.com for cost and coverage comparisons.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Insure for all the otherwise non-refundable costs of your Cruise. The "Cancel for any reason" coverage will generally cost you an added 50% premium and generally refund only 75% (not 100%); there are also policies that include (or have option for) "Cancel for Business Reasons". If you have children there are policies that insure a child for free for each insured adult. Within 8 days of any cruise your penalty is 100%. ken

I got the 50% from the Carnival website. Maybe I am reading the chart incorrectly? This what I saw...

6, 7 and 8 day cruises Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)75 to 30 days Deposit 29 to 8 days 50% of Total Fare 7 days or less 100% of total fare

So I was thinking the odds were low of cancelling a week in so why save the insurance money and insure to 50% but wasn't sure if it worked like that.

Archived