Where can I find age-appropriate shoes for "elegant" night?

MamaParrotHead

My 9 year old is now officially in a women's size SIX shoe. :eek: The "elegant" dresses we're trying to find footwear for, one is black and one is pink, both ankle length. I cannot HANDLE buying heels for her, just on principle. The ballet-slipper type shoes have a tendency to flop off of her foot when she takes a step. I am STUMPED (I also refuse to pay an arm and a leg for them). Does ANYONE have any thoughts?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

My 9 year old is now officially in a women's size SIX shoe. The "elegant" dresses we're trying to find footwear for, one is black and one is pink, both ankle length. I cannot HANDLE buying heels for her, just on principle. The ballet-slipper type shoes have a tendency to flop off of her foot when she takes a step. I am STUMPED (I also refuse to pay an arm and a leg for them). Does ANYONE have any thoughts?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

All size Six...

Gabriella Roca

4998-511326-d.jpg7769-609885-d.jpg

My favorites - Updated, yet hip Mary Jane style...

Vigotti Maira

6627-718320-d.jpg6627-718321-d.jpg

Me Too

6901-879563-d.jpg10757-879564-d.jpg

(I lurv these for her age, old fashioned ballet, but young and stylish)

Is the dress all black? Or is there an accent or belt?

Black is a safe choice for both.

But, white would be fantastic with both, and a really fantastic red!

Red shoes would look great with the black, and also red shoes/accessories with pink dresses is uber hip this season!

Just throwing random ideas out there to inspire any ideas or creativity for you!

I'm thinking for those dresses, 9 years old, and the fact that she flops out of ballet styles - sticking with nice but comfortable age appropriate straps are the direction I'm leaning...

Try these just for fun!

#1 Gabriella Roca (Carolena), Silver/Black. I'm adding a great pink/black hair accessory to tie it all together with the pink dress. Bear in mind with these shoes, and those dresses you are mostly going to see the silver peek out the front of the dress. Then it will be a quick little flash of the black heel every once in a while, just as a surprise...

0647401b060d4a3e7dcbb3246dc9b342.jpg

#2 Gabriella Roca (Myls) Off White. Because the pink is so light, and the black actually is lighter on the bottom, I think these go well with both.

456d445ad75f05208a2c700f90a4a94c.jpg

#3 Steve Madden (Prizee) Silver/Granite. I think this is a great metallic neutral that goes with both, but is a little more cool than old fashioned.

3e357003b065ef70737f27bd6d82e84c.jpg

Those are some to start with...

Are any of them spurring ideas, or your inspiration?

Now that I see the actual pink dress, I'm staying away from the red idea.

It would look fantastic with that Black dress, but with the beading on the pink dress around the waist, there is not a really good way to incorparate a red accent, belt, ribbon, or something with that dress.

So now I'm going with more metallic, light as good for both!

Black is still safe, but I like the other directions above much better.

Cooler and more fun, but still age appropriate.

So, again, I'm just throwing ideas out for inspiration, take them or leave them, or let me know if one way or the other is at least going in a good direction.

;)

Since you don't want to spend and arm and a leg...good old Target is a place to check. They have lots of ballet flats and I understand what you mean about them flopping off her foot. There are a number that have elastic at the back of the ankle.

$17.49

41RyEXxyNQL._AA260_.jpg

$19.99

41sYmsLaktL._AA260_.jpg

$29.99

41XAnumUYCL._AA260_.jpg

If you have a shoe repair shop, you can have them attach grosgrain ribbon at the back of the shoe to tie around the ankle and keep them from flopping. Did you notice at least one of the Obama girls had shoes on with ribbon ties around the ankle?:);)

Such cute dresses!

I have the same problem with ballet flats. I buy a pair of these adhesive heel liners for each pair of ballet flats, and problem solved!

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=HEELLINER.D0.SOF&colorcode=ACCESSORY&dept=&brand=SOFSOLE/IMPLUS&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

Check out Sears (in store, I'm not sure if they have them online and you would want to try the sizes anyways). They have a "Youth" size in kids shoes. I am a women's size 7.5/8 and I can fit into them easily, in fact the largest size is too big for me. They have some pretty cute ones, ranging from really girly to more plain and most I've seen are around $20.

Those dresses are beautiful! And I had to laugh, my 9 year old has jumped into a woman's size 6 also. I only wear a 7!!! We have a store (Justice, just for girls) here in Oklahoma and I think they are nationwide, because they have taken over the Limited Too stores but they carry age appropriate shoes in larger sizes.

Since you don't want to spend and arm and a leg...good old Target is a place to check. They have lots of ballet flats and I understand what you mean about them flopping off her foot. There are a number that have elastic at the back of the ankle.

$17.49

41RyEXxyNQL._AA260_.jpg

$19.99

41sYmsLaktL._AA260_.jpg

$29.99

41XAnumUYCL._AA260_.jpg

If you have a shoe repair shop, you can have them attach grosgrain ribbon at the back of the shoe to tie around the ankle and keep them from flopping. Did you notice at least one of the Obama girls had shoes on with ribbon ties around the ankle?:);)

Thanks so much! Ironically, we went to Target last night to look, and found those silver ones. They were actually on clearance for $9, but only had two pair (neither in her size) left and target.com only has them in size 5, LOL. I have friends in other areas on the lookout for them.

I'm thinking for those dresses, 9 years old, and the fact that she flops out of ballet styles - sticking with nice but comfortable age appropriate straps are the direction I'm leaning...

Try these just for fun!

#1 Gabriella Roca (Carolena), Silver/Black. I'm adding a great pink/black hair accessory to tie it all together with the pink dress. Bear in mind with these shoes, and those dresses you are mostly going to see the silver peek out the front of the dress. Then it will be a quick little flash of the black heel every once in a while, just as a surprise...

0647401b060d4a3e7dcbb3246dc9b342.jpg

#2 Gabriella Roca (Myls) Off White. Because the pink is so light, and the black actually is lighter on the bottom, I think these go well with both.

456d445ad75f05208a2c700f90a4a94c.jpg

#3 Steve Madden (Prizee) Silver/Granite. I think this is a great metallic neutral that goes with both, but is a little more cool than old fashioned.

3e357003b065ef70737f27bd6d82e84c.jpg

Those are some to start with...

Are any of them spurring ideas, or your inspiration?

Now that I see the actual pink dress, I'm staying away from the red idea.

It would look fantastic with that Black dress, but with the beading on the pink dress around the waist, there is not a really good way to incorparate a red accent, belt, ribbon, or something with that dress.

So now I'm going with more metallic, light as good for both!

Black is still safe, but I like the other directions above much better.

Cooler and more fun, but still age appropriate.

So, again, I'm just throwing ideas out for inspiration, take them or leave them, or let me know if one way or the other is at least going in a good direction.

;)

Love them...now the question is, will she? LOL She's pretty easy going. As long as I can find them reasonably priced, I'll be happy as a clam. Thanks for all your help.

Gorgeous shoes! My 11 year old wears a size 11, women size! I can't believe it! We searched everywhere for shoes and finally found ballerina flats at payless of all places.

Now, my 8 year old wears a girl's size 2 but we had a difficult time finding appropriate dress shoes for her. She has narrow feet and the ballerina flats slipped off all the time. We finally found a pair of strappy sandals with a little heel..a bit to mature in my mind but they fit and she loves them. Even the children's shoes are far to mature for most children. I had to outlaw some of the little heeled shoes because they were far too high! I can't believe kids wear them.

I wish I had seen this thread before! I love the little Mary Janes.

Hi, I feel your pain. My then first grader was wearing a size 7 women's in first grade. Made it easy to find her shoes when they were all piled up. :D At least now there are fancy ballet shoes. Couldn't find those 9 years ago.

She now wears a 10.5W or 11 depending on the shoe. She likes her shoes loose and hates to shop. urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Anyways, we have had good luck at Payless, DSW and Nordstrom. Try the Nordstrom Rack if there is one in your area. I know others like zappos.

rian- Nordstrom is a great place for shoes for our girls. The Nordstrom Rack had a whole floor just women's shoes and 5 racks of 11's. Couldn't get her into the store. >:(

You could try zappos- they have free shipping both ways. I have 2 girls that grew into womens shoes all too quickly also. You could try a youth 5.5 which I believe is about the equivalent to a womens 6.5 or 7.

Here are some cute ones with miniature heels that come in silver or black.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/30388745/c/78289.html

Archived