Formal Night Long or Short?

CruisingCaity16

What length of formal dress???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What length of formal dress???

• Long
    • Short

This time I'm wearing a blue-violet silk charmeuse cocktail dress with satin cummerbund waist detail (yummy!) and a black and silver metallic Adrienne Vittadini knee-length sheath bought on sale for 80% off (!).

I have a great brown ombre floor length gown with black beaded overlay that is to die for... but dang, I hate packing the thing! :D

Short for me. This time, anyway.

Carnival Conquest 1 week

The only long dress I own that I felt wasn't too "promy" doesn't fit my hips anymore...darn those curves, oh well! I found one black empire waist cocktail dress for around $12 at NBC which was a steal. I have 1 more formal night to worry about. I have a dark red halter cocktail dress I can wear and I should have a royal blue floor length bridesmaids dress by then (if I like it enough to wear). Unfortunately the cruise is before the wedding, but I'm spending a fortune on the dress and would like to wear it more than once. This is it but it will be a much brighter blue.

thebridalshop2_2038_110403855

As much as I would like a new really gorgeous dress of my own choosing I'm still in college and I hate to ask my mom to help pay for it (it's my family going on the cruise). My parents are already helping with the costs of the two weddings I am a bridesmaid in this year since the brides are close family friends. I do have to be fairly dressy though...I think my brother is bringing his tux.

Long - always long - cruise length doesn't matter with length of dress for me.

Color doesn't matter - Have long formals in chocolate, apple red, black, light blue, wine, beige, navy, ivory, pewter grey & black, and other colors.

Most of my formals were bought on sale - some as low as $35 (from Nordstroms), but a few were very expensive (bought for my daughters' weddings).

I'm wearing one of each. I'm pulling out my champagne colored, beaded and all...looks like liquid champagne. It weights 4-5 lbs, though...but when will I get to wear it again?...I've only wore it once about 9 years ago. I'm going to go buy a new necklace. I feel like I"m at the academy awards in it.

The second one is a short, black, sexy number with high heels. DH loves this one! I wear it all the time, but always get compliments.

Airline luggage limit is 50 lbs. I guess I'll be putting some of my stuff in the kids suitcases...at least sandals are light compared to boots and shoes!

Carnival Conquest 1 week

The only long dress I own that I felt wasn't too "promy" doesn't fit my hips anymore...darn those curves, oh well! I found one black empire waist cocktail dress for around $12 at NBC which was a steal. I have 1 more formal night to worry about. I have a dark red halter cocktail dress I can wear and I should have a royal blue floor length bridesmaids dress by then (if I like it enough to wear). Unfortunately the cruise is before the wedding, but I'm spending a fortune on the dress and would like to wear it more than once. This is it but it will be a much brighter blue.

As much as I would like a new really gorgeous dress of my own choosing I'm still in college and I hate to ask my mom to help pay for it (it's my family going on the cruise). My parents are already helping with the costs of the two weddings I am a bridesmaid in this year since the brides are close family friends. I do have to be fairly dressy though...I think my brother is bringing his tux.

The red halter dress sounds beautiful! I love dark red. :)

Formal is formal regardless of the ship or the length of the cruise--long dress for women and black tie for men

Informal/Semi-formal--short or mid calf cocktail dress for women and dark suit for men.

Yes I know, time for the popcorn

Hold the butter... I don't want to get "fluffy" before I wear my SHORT dress on my cruise. ;)

I used to only wear long dresses, now I've gone short. Not real short, I'm too old for that, but at my knee, cocktail length for the over 50 ;)

My legs are my best asset, so why cover them up? Other than those, I hardly have any assets in the right place any longer :p I've found, for the sake of argument, that a short dress with hose is cooler for me to wear than a long dress. The long dresses always had to be hiked up under the table, that made for a few :o moments.

So, now I have an assortment. black, gold, ivory, brown, black and white. Some of them are glitzy enough to compliment DH in a tuxedo, some of them look better when my husband is wearing a sports coat and tie. Another plus is that they pack so much easier.

Along with the short dresses I've also collected a couple nice pair of closed toed formal shoes so I can wear hosiery.... my legs don't look that great. I've found Nordstrom has an ultra sheer hosiery, both in regular colors and some with a bit of shimmer, they are about a 6 denier, so almost imperceptible even with an open toed shoe.

I think it's great to see women in a variety of looks, go for what looks beautiful on you. I've seen many shorter cocktail dresses that are far more formal than long dresses, the length isn't what makes the dress formal, it's the style, fabric and sometimes embellishment. There was a time when formal meant formal on a cruise ship, but that has dramatically changed over the last 5-10 years.

Formal is formal regardless of the ship or the length of the cruise--long dress for women and black tie for men

Informal/Semi-formal--short or mid calf cocktail dress for women and dark suit for men.

Yes I know, time for the popcorn

You know, those argumentative threads are typical on the line specific boards, but here on the Cruise Fashions and Beauty Board people don't "flame" (whatever that means), taunt, call names, any of the stuff that creates such hard feelings. Contrary to popular belief of people who don't come to this board often, it is far more civil than that :)

Everyone is welcome to post their opinions and feelings here without fear of being belittled. It's a far more gentle place to be ;)

I do have to add, if you have seen some threads that have gone south here on the Fashion Board, the chances are tremendous they have been moved here by the moderators. It's a pet peeve of mine and I have been scolded for writing this before, but it's true!

Yes, formal is formal but when some say it depends on the ship there is something else at play here, at least for me. For instance, on NCL there is no REAL formal night, it is "dress up if you want..or not night".;)

When we're on a line that has specific formal nights, I wear long dresses. If we're on NCL, that's when I wear short cocktail dresses because that's as much as I want to dress up. Long dresses are definitely in the minority on dress up night and not all that many even wear cocktail dresses,

Where do you find affordable long dresses??? I'm a college student so the budget is tight.

Sale racks in any store, Ross if you have one, tons on eBay, a good resale shop. People have posted here they've even found ones at Goodwill, new with tags, no less. Check you favorite store online and look for their sale section.

You just have to learn a different way of shopping and not expect to go in any of these places and see a big selection like you find at full price. You have to be constantly on the "hunt" because you never know when or if you'll find something.:)

Just snagged a short silk $150 dress at Banana Republic for $16.08. Didn't know where I was going to wear it but I have it "just in case" and now a wedding has come up so I'm set.

Archived