Bring your own comb or use shop on ship

My 11 year old grand daughter had her hair braided on beach while on the Orchestra. She has had to have the braids taken out as soon as we got home due to head lice. She has never experienced this before and is extremely devastated, we have explained to her it was nothing she did but the embarrassment she has gone through, and this was only with family and hairdresser who is a close family friend, was not worth the money we saved by having it braided on the beach. Money saved was money spent on products to get rid of the lice. No lectures, please, I know we should have taken our own comb to have braids done on beach. Just letting others know.:eek:

NEVER would have thought of that. Great suggestion.

I know how that feels to a child and I am sorry she had to go through it. It is definitely no fun to have lice and then to have to go through the embarrasement too. Then for her to have to take it out immediately. How crushed she must have been.

I've posted this before, but it still holds true - have them done before you leave by a stylist you trust. This takes a long time to have done, and with limited time on shore - why spend it sitting instead of seeing? It also helps to get them excited about the trip, just like we do when we get our nails and hair done before going.

Of COURSE you should bring your own comb!!!!

You know, I'm not a complete and utter idiot, but I had my hair braided at the beach in Antigua on our first cruise and didn't even think about the comb (and no, I didn't get lice, thankfully). I think this thread is quite valid and don't understand the need to belittle the OP --and everyone else who has been foolish enough to do the same. :(

I know sometimes you really wonder why a person even tries to put information on here that they feel might be helpful. With all the hassle if getting off the ship, getting the sunscreen, etc. together a comb just wasn't something we thought of but OF COURSE:rolleyes: we will next time. It just takes all kinds.

I know sometimes you really wonder why a person even tries to put information on here that they feel might be helpful. With all the hassle if getting off the ship, getting the sunscreen, etc. together a comb just wasn't something we thought of but OF COURSE:rolleyes: we will next time. It just takes all kinds.

Kind of funny now, but not at the time. We had our 4 kids hair braided in Freeport years ago, and the woman doing the braiding was yelling across the square at another one (made us pretty nervous!!) "You don't want to go to see her, she's got lice in her comb!" Never would have even thought of it otherwise! Needless to say, I was watching our kids hair like a hawk until we got home! :p

I had it done in Jamaica once. I went to a 'salon' there. It was still very inexpensive, so this may be a better/cleaner option. Then again, if my daughter ever says she wants it done I will take your advise and take a comb.....and maybe make the woman use a hand sanitizer first. Maybe lice can 'travel' like that too? Now that you have mentioned it we can all be extra careful. I appreciate the 'heads up'...pardon the pun ;)

Thanks for the "heads up" (pun intended) OP. About 15 years ago, It was my turn to take the seat in a barber shop. The barber had laid the comb down on the counter, that he used on the previous customer. As I was sitting down, he picked it up and was going to comb my hair. I said "wait!" he looked at me like I was a Martian. I looked at the counter, and he didn't even have one of those jars with the blue liquid for disinfection combs. I got up and walked out. The folks waiting for a cut looked at me like I was a drug addict.

Bottom line, keep your eyes open, even in a shop or salon.

Archived