Seasickness - What do you do to combat it?

madaroch

If anybody is new to sailing what pointers would you give them. Have you ever been seasick, and if so what did you do to help. To you have a regime you follow, or do you never have a problem.

I personally wear my seabands for the first couple of days and then I take the Seasick pills they give out onboard, they are way better than Gravol and way more effective. Once I'm sure I have my sea legs I get rid of the bands but I keep taking the tabs. It also provides for a great nights rest.

I have only had a problem with seasickness twice although a couple more times I took a bonine tablet when the seas were very rough as a precaution. I found that bonine works pretty well for me, and that it helps to keep something bland in your stomach (plain crackers work well, and so does oatmeal).

I've never had to take bonine for more than 48 hours, but some folks are more sensitive to motion.

One Bonine [I]every[/I] night at bedtime beginning one or 2 days before a cruise, 2 if seas are rough.

You have to take Bonine [I]before[/I] you become seasick, so it is better to be safe than sorry. I used to get terribly seasick every cruise; never one problem since I started Bonine regimen. :D

Bonine. Once every 24 hours (and I take it the morning I fly out to catch the ship, so my schedule is every morning) and I have no problems. Once while sailing out of Miami the ship rocked so much my husband (who doesn't suffer from seasickness) refused dessert because he felt slightly queasy. I ordered and ate two! That's how well Bonine works.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]My first several cruises I took Bonine faithfully, and found it worked very well. I also learned that when I kept occupied, outdoors in fresh air, looked off to a more stable horizon it also helped. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]The absolute [b]best[/b] way to combat seasickness, though, I have found is [i]more cruises[/i]! Yes. :D The more you cruise the more you get used to the movement of the sea. I rarely feel the motion of the ocean anymore, and actually miss that. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=navy]I swear by the Sea Bands. This last cruise with 18' seas, I did take a Bonine one night at bedtime because I was slightly queasy. Went to sleep and was fine in the a.m. and the seas were still 18'. Wore the sea bands until the seas calmed down, but didn't need any more Bonine.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=navy][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=navy]In the end, I firmly believe that what will work is what you believe will work.[/color][/size][/font]

I just got back from my first cruise.. I used the daytime dramamine which didn't make me drowsey. I think its the same ingredients that are in Bonine. I would suggest taking it one day before you board 24 hours before..then one the day you board..and then while you are on the ship..every 24 hours. I felt GREAT!!!! Hubby who NEVER gets seasick..got a little queesy one rough night. I gave him the daytime dramamine and he was great by the next day.
Next time, Ill start it 24 hours before.

It made cruising just PERFECT!!!!!!

Are bonine & dramamine both prescription only? My first cruise my doctor prescribed the "patch" and it made me too sleepy. Dramamine knocks me out completely, but I would be interested in the non-drowsy kind if it really works.

- Jane

[quote name='mattR']What do they hand out at the pursers desk during rough seas? Only felt sick once before work up at about 4am due to rough seas felt wozzy but felt fine when I woke up later in the morning.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3]
Matt - they give out Meclizine which is the same as Bonamine. Shopper's carries Bonamine (same as the US Bonine) so you may want to get a package before you go. I always buy a small box that states "one every 24 hours" and I find this works well. Never makes me sleepy. Actually I start taking it 48 hours before I board the ship and then take it only when I need it. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

I've never suffered from it but for a folksy remedy my grandmother-in-law, who use to travel from Brazil to England several times a year (way before stabilizers!) swore by a piece of white, medical tape across the bellybutton.

Hello All,

I just got back from the November 20th-30th sailing on the Maasdam out of Norfolk, VA and for the last 3 days of the cruise (when we were in the atlantic) I lived off dramamine. Took about 3 a day and it helped a lot, but made me very sleepy. Also, try to stay out of the cabin as much as possible, seemed to make things worse. Being on the Lido deck was the best for me. (don't know if it was being able to see the rocking and not just feel it) I know this is probably basic info, but hope it helps.

Archived