Mop-Up Muster Drills

Dorset Cruiser

Does anyone know when they tend to hold the muster drills for those who were not on board in time for the main muster drill:confused:

We are sailing from Southampton which is quite close to home and we plan to get on board at about 4.30pm as we do not sail until 7.00 pm and that way my DH can do a much-needed half day at work as we will be away for a month in total. I think 4.30 pm is probably about the time of the main muster drill. I think they have a second muster drill but I am not sure when.

Does anyone know when they tend to hold the muster drills for those who were not on board in time for the main muster drill:confused:

We are sailing from Southampton which is quite close to home and we plan to get on board at about 4.30pm as we do not sail until 7.00 pm and that way my DH can do a much-needed half day at work as we will be away for a month in total. I think 4.30 pm is probably about the time of the main muster drill. I think they have a second muster drill but I am not sure when.

If you do not sail until 7:00, you will be on board in time for muster. 4:30 is not considered late for a 7:00 sailaway.

Princess does not keep tract of who attends. That being said if you don't attend make sure you can put on your Life Jacket and know how to get to your Muster station. I'm not recommending you skip the drill.

Yes, they do. Your stateroom in marked on your life vest, and you should have seen someone with a clipboard as you entered your muster station area (lounge). They noted your attendance.

The "make ups" are usually held in the Wheelhouse Bar the next day, unless there are lot of "no shows". Then they use one of the lounges again. I saw about a dozen people with lifevests in the WB on the Coral Princess last November, and an officer was running them through the same speech that we received at the main muster drill.

Yes, they do. Your stateroom in marked on your life vest, and you should have seen someone with a clipboard as you entered your muster station area (lounge). They noted your attendance.

The "make ups" are usually held in the Wheelhouse Bar the next day, unless there are lot of "no shows". Then they use one of the lounges again. I saw about a dozen people with lifevests in the WB on the Coral Princess last November, and an officer was running them through the same speech that we received at the main muster drill.

Sorry to disillusion you. They don't keep track. HAL does a roll call. All they look at is the large letter on your vest so as to direct you to the proper station.

Not on Princess.

If you miss the first one the make up one will be the next day.

We wouldn't miss it anyway. If we missed the main one, we would make sure we went to the mop up session.

However, after 18 or so cruises, I think we can put the life jackets on and we know how to jump over the side as well:D

Princess do not take a rollcall - they say they have a cunning plan in hand which ensures that everyone has left their cabins and are attending the drill - don't know what it is though:confused:

On my very first cruise (the old Crown Princess in Alaska) we were one of the last onboard and missed the muster drill. We had used Princess air and transfers. There was a notice in the Patter denoting a time and meeting place for those who had missed the muster drill to do a makeup. About two dozen passengers showed up at the appointed time and place with life jackets in hand (including us) but no crew member ever came. I can honestly say that was the one time in 15 cruises that I missed the muster drill and that was through no fault of my own.

Everyone is entitled to their OPINIONS,however,i sat in the dining room chating with the staff that told me just to sit and finish talking with them and nothing would or was said,so there!however,i do not advise this.:eek:

Everyone is entitled to their OPINIONS,however,i sat in the dining room chating with the staff that told me just to sit and finish talking with them and nothing would or was said,so there!however,i do not advise this.:eek:

HUH? :confused:

We have noticed that most of the Princess Ships we have been on have called the muster drill right before sailing. That should make it possible for everyone to attend since the all-on-board time is usually 30 to 60 minutes before actual sail time. Right after the drill, we take our life jackets back to the cabin then go to the upper deck for a view of the port we are leaving, and to listen to the sail-away music being played at the pool.

One note: The way Princess holds its muster drill is much better than some of the other lines we have been on. One line had us put our jacket on as soon as we reached the station. We had to wait for all the other people to arrive and put their jackets on, by the time the speeches from the captain and the muster director were over, my neck and shoulders were aching. The jackets are meant to keep your head out of the water, so they push your head forward in an awkward position. Princess has everyone hold onto their jacket until almost the end of the presentation. We only have the jacket on for 5 minutes or less.

Princess also does not require you to attend muster after the first one on a B2B sailing.

Have you had to attend one on the 2nd leg of any other cruise line? I think they might all follow the same procedure, though I really don't know about anyone other than Princess.

Attendance is noted by the cabin steward who checks whether your life jacket is gone or not. Now it may be possible to carry your life jacket and wander around but a crew member will notice it. Of course, you could hide your life jackets under your bed if you are so desperate to avoid muster! Attending muster is required by maritime laws. B2B does not require attendance at the second leg.

Archived