Island Princess Observations 11/5-11/20

ncstatefan

Roberta, which cruise are you on in 2006? We're taking the 7-day repo tour from LA to Vancouver - there are some killer deals on that cruise!

There is a Sheraton right by the port where you can stay overnight & they will take you to the ship in their free shuttle. Also Best Western down the street, the Marina Hotel a couple of miles away, or a Holiday Inn, also a couple of miles away. If you're just coming in late & planning to crash and then get to the ship early, I'd say go with the Sheraton - it's a nice business hotel, I think they have their equivalent of the Westin Heavenly Beds in the rooms (Sweet Sleepers, I think they call them). Some posters like the Best Western, I don't know much about it. The Marina is very nice, but it's a little further away (I think they have a shuttle, too). The Holiday Inn is no more than OK, IMHO. It's in a very busy part of town, right on the main drag going through San Pedro.

If you're going to spend a little more time in the area, look at Long Beach. It's a bit farther away & will cost you $20-30 to take a cab to the pier, but there are lots of nice hotels - Westin, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, etc. - and loads to do in the area - restaurants, the Aquarium of the Pacific, boutique shopping all within walking distance.

I was on this cruise too. We had a wheelchair accessible cabin for 3 (E505) which was very nice and right next to the library and internet cafe area. Had free internet as I am Platinium member. It was very slow, but easy to pick up my e-mail.

We arrived in Hilo at 10:00 instead of 11:00 AM. It was a mess primarily because many people who rented cars arrived to find that their confirmations were totally worthless (including ours with Alamo) and they had no cars available. All companies were sold out, so we were unable to get a car which blew our plans completely for that day. We just took the $3 bus into town and walked around a little. The other shuttles were not wheelchair accessible.

Pay attention to the reboard times posted. In Kauai we were already 100 yds. off the pier when a young couple showed up on the dock. They had missed the ship (we left the dock at 5PM on the dot). This was our last port. Lucky for them the pilot boat agreed to pick them up and bring them to the ship or they would have had to pay for their own flight home and waited 5 days for their luggage. They were greeted with a lot of hoots and hollers when they got back on the ship.

I also felt the food was OK, but not great. Not nearly enough variety, and little that reflected the location (Mahi Mahi once only, etc.). Canned pineapple most days on the buffet instead of fresh, and you had to ask for papaya even in the dining room at breakfast (and they were out by the last day). Ran out of green tea half way through the cruise too. No more flambes allowed in the dining room at all (except for the traditional baked Alaska). Service was good, but again, not great. Am I the only one that finds being called "lady" by the staff a bit off-putting? What ever happened to "Miss" or "Madam"?

The most different thing we noted was the requirement for luggage to be out the last night no later than 8PM. This is the earliest we have ever seen required in over 30 cruises, and it was a nightmare trying to get to dinner with a wheelchair, plus we just ended up wearing what we wore to dinner for disembarkation due to space limits in our carry-on luggage and impossible to get it into our checked bags before going to bed.

We have been to Hawaii many times before, so this time did the aquariums in both Honolulu and Maui (Maui Ocean Center). Both were excellent and I would recommend them highly. Went snorkeling in Kona, drove to Hanalei in Kauai, and made all our own arrangements (no ship's tours) at a great savings, plus saw what we wanted when we wanted.

Upon return we were in Ensenada from 4:30-7:45PM the last day. Small shopping area at the pier, buses and taxis for town (just enough time to get to Hussong's for a beer), but we only got off and took photos of our ship and of the sad sight of the half-sunk old Catalina ferry in th Ensenada harbor. Women were going wild buying Mexican vanilla here (poor quality...don't buy it if not make in Vera Cruz). You can get it nearly as cheap and much better quality at Trader Joe's.

excellent info here-thanks so much! We are going on the Island Princess 2/3/05, (same cruise as Ilmilam), and were wondering if anyone went horseback riding or heard any comments on rides. Also considering "mule drawn wagon rides", if anyone has info. Specifically we need to know if the rides are down narrow cliff-side trails (ala Grand Canyon trail rides), and any info available. thanks! Terry

There is a Waipio Wagon tour on the Big Island of Hawaii with a mule and one other horse. It is a beautiful valley and interesting tour along the northwest area of the island.

There is a tour on Molokai (the island princess doesnt stop there) http://www.muleride.com - Roy Horner & family run it and it is very good. Flights from Maui's Kapalua airport run about 10-15 minutes to Molokai and they pick you up and take you to the stables. The ride goes down the steepest sea cliffs in the world to a Leper Colony below, by invitation only (i.e., this tour). Very interesting and fun. One gal brought her dog along for the ride when we went!

There arent any tours that I am familiar with for the Waimea Canyon on Kauai involving Mules or horses.

Maui has several horseback tours, there is one up near Kapalua area, cant think of the name of it right now, that would be closest for the Lahaina port. There are also some stables in Ulapalakua in the upcountry Maui area.

excellent info here-thanks so much! We are going on the Island Princess 2/3/05, (same cruise as Ilmilam), and were wondering if anyone went horseback riding or heard any comments on rides. Also considering "mule drawn wagon rides", if anyone has info. Specifically we need to know if the rides are down narrow cliff-side trails (ala Grand Canyon trail rides), and any info available. thanks! Terry

You may also be interested in a tour that Rob Pacheco offers via Hawaii Forest and Trail http://www.hawaii-forest.com

See the Hawaii thread under ports of call!

Splinter - mahalo nui loa for your comments - I enjoyed reading what you had to say and appreciate your input.

Yes, I agree with your comment regarding being called Lady, Madame or Miss is much better.

Maam makes me feel old! :D

Hmmm, dont know why - but I dont think we have never tried the Trader Joes Vanilla! Another good tip. People see it in Baja and think its a good buy, etc - Noooooot! :) My opinion.....Save your money, buy vanilla in Tahaa while on the Tahitian Princess in French Polynesia, now thats good vanilla!

Is it true that the shuttles for rental car agencies only pick up the driver - would they take my DH and leave me waiting on the pier for him to return with car? Doesn't sound like a fun way to start the day.

Mycruisedirector - did you have any trouble like mentioned above - when the folks arrived at the island the rental agencies had oversold for the day??

I'm starting to wonder if renting cars will be a good idea.

Thanks in advance for info.

Guest Host Tink
Splinter - mahalo nui loa for your comments -

Hmmm, dont know why - but I dont think we have never tried the Trader Joes Vanilla! Another good tip. People see it in Baja and think its a good buy, etc - Noooooot! :) My opinion.....Save your money, buy vanilla in Tahaa while on the Tahitian Princess in French Polynesia, now thats good vanilla!

My hubby works for Trader Joe's! :-) I've tried lots and lots of Vanilla because I'm a baker, and I absolutely love the TJ Vanilla. It's worth the price to me!

Guest Host Tink
thanks/mahalo for the tip Carrie! Guess I am going there when I get close to running out! Glad to hear it! Yet another great tip! I love these boards!

No problem. I never shopped there until my husband started working there, now I'm totally addicted to many of their things. If you like Peanut Butter Cups, you MUST get their Peanut Butter Cups, you'll never go back to Reese's!

So...tying this in with Cruising...LOL I'm going to bring a good supply of them on my cruise in Jan '06!

for me it goes in spurts - go there every so often and buy a bunch of stuff I could do without...but those peanut butter pretzels might be nice for our voyage to Hawaii in a couple of weeks, all those days at sea - my DH would love it if I surprised him with those in the cabin for a snack on the balcony!

Hey, betchya those TSA/security dudes would confiscate them for their own enjoyment! Camouflage, thats what I'll need to do!:D

This is for lgarner. AAA did supply maps and I pretty much put together an

itinerary for every port. There were only 2 of us so we did not have to leave

one of us behind while the other took the rental car shuttle. The problem was that in one the ports up to 5 people in the same party ( 1 driver) were trying to get on the shuttle and when the some of the shuttles only had room for a total of 6 people it created a problem of expediting the rental process. Which if you think of it, it really made sense. Driving in Hawaii was

a real joy, but keep in mind I am a native Californian. The most important thing I can tell you is to make sure you do make reservations, we had no problems and our car was always waiting for us.

Be sure if you go to the Dole pineapple plantation to try their pineapple/coconut ice cream. TO DIE FOR!

[Hi Minette!

Have you seen any others on this cruise? It would be fun to get together.

Dale

Dale are you on this cruise?

Aloha Jackie who posted right before you, is also on this cruise.

Check out the Princess Roll Calls. Our thread is called Very Disappointed Our Long Thread Is Gone Island Princess 12/20/2004.

Minette

WOW! What an awesome thread! Now I cant wait to go in Oct 05!

Hey has anyone taken the bicycle tour where you go to the top of Haleakala Crater (Maui - spell) to see the sun rise and then ride bikes down the road from the top? Any details would be great!

Bobby

We took the 9:30 am bike tour and it was incredible. I'm sure seeing the sunrise would be great but we didn't want to get up in the middle of the night to see it.

The bike ride will be similar.....it's a great tour for all ages. Me and Aloha Jackie are in our 40's and we loved it. It's a little hard to explain the sensations of riding a bike down hill for mile after mile. You really get to see and smell the island in a whole new way.

We have taken several tours on all of the islands and both of us said that the bike ride down Haliakala is the one tour we would do again.

I hope you give it a try.

Archived