Island Princess Observations 11/5-11/20

ncstatefan

Trey,

information was placed in our cabin (I think it was on one of the sea days on the way home, but can't remember exactly when) advertising the aloha champagne breakfast $25 for two - there was an order form you could leave on your door if you wanted it. Included was: basket of warm pastries, smoked salmon with ligonberry cream cheese and toasted lemon brioche, medley of fresh fruit and berries with citrus chantilly creme, alaskan king crab quiche, and a half bottle of chilled french champagne. We didn't do it because my husband is a "eggs and grits" kind of breakfast guy and didn't know what half the included items were. We did enjoy breakfast on our balcony several mornings, however, with our own mimosas. A couple of times we just went up to Horizon Court and brought plates of breakfast down to our balcony and sometimes we ordered room service. If you just write on the room service breakfast card exactly what you want you can have it delivered to your balcony for free (well for a tip, anyway).

ncstatefan

Thank you so much for the review. We were on the same cruise as you were in minisuite A503. Your assessment of the cruise was exactly the way we experienced it. This was our second time on the Island, having done a partial Canal transit last Feb.

The time difference from CA to Hawaii is two hours. Think it was second night at sea, clocks went back one hour, and then the fourth night, the second hour.

There were 10 children under ten on board, but they were rarely seen. And yes we belong to the majority that were over 60.

I like being outdoors and unfortunately due to high seas and wind we were only able to be out on deck about four of the ten sea days. This is to be expected on this cruise during the fall and winter months.

First cruise of our 20 cruises we have been on that we did not hear one complaint. That in itself was a pleasant change. Also all the staff and crew could not have been more friendly.

BTW, I don't think I've seen this reported on the Princess board but the Cruise Director on the Island for this cruise only, Paul Becque, proposed to his fiance who was one of the dancers, right on stage at the end of the final night's gala extravaganza. Got down on one knee, held her hand, the whole performance. Apologized to the audience before hand that what he was about to do was cheesy but he was going to do it anyway. There was not a dry ladies eye in the show lounge when it happened. :)

Thank you SO very much for the outstanding review on the Island. We will be on this ship on 2-3-05, hoping for a little better waters/weather. This is our first Princess cruise.......we have always cruised on RCCL. So we are a little nervous, well maybe NOT nervous......but......... you know what we mean.

The review on the ports were excellent.

Question for you..... We were going to have Enterprise Rental pick us up, go to their business 10 minuites away and then I would return with a van and we would head to the Arizona. ..... What do you think about sending someone on the shuttle directly to the Arizona and "save" some spaces. Would that be possible?

then we would meet up with them with the van for later.

Thanks for all the info, especially regarding the room, food, etc, etc, etc.

We are going to be in B306, which I also understand has a "partially" covered balcony too.

If you think of any other tidbits of info.....I am sure all of us FUTURE cruisers would love to hear about it.

PS. ALso, if anyone is reading this and is going on the same cruise as we are........please check our roll call out and come join us on this thread.

Thanks

Kathy

IImilam,

I don't know exactly how to describe the Love Boat Dream; but it's CHOCOLATE!!. I think it would probably be described as a mousse, but that doesn't do it justice. All I can tell you is watch for it and the night it is available, order three of them. There was a picture of it posted previously about three or four months ago. If you do a search, you can probably still find it.

Kathy,

I think what I said previously was confusing. There is not a shuttle going to the Arizona from the dock; the shuttle only runs between the Arizona Memorial and the Missouri. You would have to take a taxi to the Arizona or go on one of the ship's tours. And even if you did get there before the others, I don't think there would be any way to save spaces. Our bus driver told us that each of us would have to go through the line and get our own ticket; he could not get them for us. Each ticket has a number on it and you wait until that number is called to go on the tour. You can tell by the current number called about how long it will be before your tour. I think they run about every 20 min. or so. There are some things to do while you're waiting. There was a gift shop, museum, and snack shop.

This was our also first Princess cruise and like you we had been on NCL and RCCL and were a little skeptical. You will love it and I'll bet that before you reach home you will have taken advantage of their "book future cruise on board" program (that's not what it's called, but I forgot the exact name.

CDNGUY,

Now I'm wondering if I saw you on board. Thanks for the information about the cruise director. During The Piano Man I heard him introduce his fiancee and say he had proposed, but I didn't realize that he had done so during a performance. Wish I had seen that.

We just walked out to the street and took the city bus to the Arizona. After the visit we were going to take the city bus but a young fellow was there with a small bus that would take you to a hotel or pier for $2.00pp This was great. Bus had about 20 people and all were going to the port. There was a Holland American ship there also so got to viist with some people from that ship. They wanted to jump ship and come with us as we were on the Star Inaugural and it made their ship look like a tug boat. Don

Thank you to ncstatefan and all the others who have taken the time to post such awesome information. We are on the Island 1/4/05!

One question, what were the temperatures like? We are from the arctic of Iowa so I am sure it will be warmer, but shorts weather everyday or not? Any info on the Polynesion Culture Center?

I am sooo excited, and after reading this thread, more than ever. Again, GREAT info here.

Raven I hope ncstatefan forgives me for giving my comments on her review but you may be waiting for an answer. Of the 10 sea days to and from Hawaii there were probably no more than maybe 4-5 days we could get out around the pool. The first 2-3 days when we left LA we did have occasional sun but the temps were in the 60's.The last two days before reaching Hawaii the weather started to improve. On the evening we left Hawaii and the next day or so the seas were very rough. Could hardly stand up outside with the wind. As we approached the CA coast the winds calmed down but mostly cloudy and cool. The last full day at sea was pleasant and sunny, most of the day.Sorry but that's usually the way it is as winter approaches. Weather can be variable and unpredictable. You may be lucky. Weather in Hawaii was definitely suitable for shorts.

ncstatefan, the CD proposed right at the end of the Piano Man performance. If you left the theatre quickly you may have missed it.

We probably passed right by you several times on the cruise. Too bad you didn't join our roll call months in advance.

cdnguy,

I also enjoy your comments and would love hearing from others that were on the same trip. You may remember something I have forgotten or your perspective may have been different from mine. I kept intending to go to the roll call section, but my work schedule had been a little hectic before the trip and I never got around to it. I definitely will do so next time. That must have been the afternoon performance of The Piano Man; I was at the evening show.

Raven,

The only other thing I would add regarding weather is that the Lotus Pool could be enjoyed even when it was too cold for the regular pool. There were a couple of days when the seas and wind were so rough that even that pool was closed, but usually even though it was too cold for shorts on the decks, you could go to the Lotus Pool and feel as though you were in the tropics.

For my money, the Polynesian Cultural Center is the one thing to do in all of Hawaii because you get a feel for the culture and history of the islands. It would be an all day trip (I think I remember the ride there as being around 1.5 hrs.), but you will see incredible scenery on the way. When we were there before, we did the luau for lunch and saw the show at night which was outstanding. Take a look at their web site, which is http://www.polynesia.com

Okay, you've been so wonderful to answer questions and I'll understand if you don't want to answer more.

What was the movie situation on board? I'm sure there were movies in your room. I had heard that Princess also had pay per view ones - is that the case? Did they ever show movies on a big screen in any lounges?

Were you on board for Island Night? I've read that it is the same night the ship is in Honolulu. If so, how was it (I realize that it isn't anywhere close to Polynesian Cultural Center)?

Our group is also interested in the onboard horse races. Do you have any info on them?

Thanks so much for any more info you can share with us.

ncstatefan

We were at the early evening show (about 8:15PM) that the proposal was made. Possibly you were at the later show.

Sorry llmilam never watch movies on the ship although every day the Patter did list several in cabin movies scheduled as follows. Each of these ran 5 times a day.

Somethings Gotta Give

Stepford Wives

Connie and Carla

Calendar Girls

The Clearing

Raising Helen

Troy

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Starsky and Hutch

The Notebook

Man on Fire

I Robot

All of the above were shown in the main show lounge on a big screen, once a day. Not necessarily the same day. Also shown was Nat'l Geographic Hawaii: A Trip to Paradise

Yes Island night was the evening we were in Honolulu, from 9:15PM onwards. Lots of dancing, line dancing, music, food, drink, fun.

Polynesian Cultural Center is in the far north east coast of the Island. Quite a distance from the ship (1 - 1 1/2 hrs.)

No info on horseraces but do know they had them on board.

Maybe ncstatefan can expand on some of this.

Cdnguy and ncstatefan,

Thank you for your extremely complete and PROMPT replies! I am hoping we have lots of warm weather, but am glad to hear the tip about the lotus pool. We booked the Polynesian excursion..now I am way glad that we did. Hope we don't miss too much of Island night on the ship. 39 days till we leave, yeah. How soon before you left did you get your documents?

Thanks to a Bunch of Great Fellow Cruisers

Raven

Just a little more info on the trip from ship to Arizona Memorial. My husband and I were one of the first off the ship on the on 11/12, walked to the left out of the terminal and shared a mini-bus taxi to the memorial. Each person must pick up their own ticket, purses and bags must be checked (it's okay to carry a camera and wallet). We then waited about 1-1/4 hr. for our turn and were at least two groups ahead of the tour busses!

We then wanted to go to Waikiki Beach to walk around and again shared a taxi (this one was an old limo) with two other couples. Taxis are right outside the memorial area. I believe our share of the trip was $15. After lots of walking & sightseeing, we then caught the free shuttle that picks up by the Starbucks near the Sheraton (can't remember the streeet name) that takes one to Hilo Hatties. As we had already done our Hilo Hattie shopping on another island, we just waited for their free shuttle to the ship. Worked out great!

Pam

Hey Pam. Not even going to say hi? :D

How soon before you left did you get your documents?

If I recall we got our docs about a month before we left home. We arranged our own air so that may have helped.

If you wish to get around the city "The Bus" is an option we used. We went to the Waikiki Beach area and walked around there for part of the day as we had been there 2 1/2 years ago. When you come out of the ship terminal walk about two blocks straight ahead where there's a bus stop on the right side. Get on bus #58 or 59 and it takes you to Waikiki. Takes about 40 mins. There is a transfer on the way which you ask for when you first get on the bus. Drivers are all very good and let you know when your to get off. Fare is $2. /person.

The problem in Honolulu (actually, all of the Islands, but particularly on Oahu) is that there is just so much more to see than you have time for. Raven, I don't think you made a mistake with the Cultural Center. Island Night was fun, as everyone was in tropical dress, but the food was not anything other than the usual and although there was some local entertainment on board, what you will see is much better in my opinion.

CDNGUY covered the movie schedule thoroughly. None of these were pay for view, and I don't go to movies much but think that most of these were recent releases.

We did not do the horseracing either, but I did hear someone we met talking about it. I think bets were $2 and they used large wooden horses. There was something about the horses being auctioned off for the final derby near the end of the cruise. I think the bingo jackpot was $2,500 on the final day. There were so many things that we didn't participate in--dance lessons, lectures, class on how to make the perfect martini. Maybe next time.

Raven, we also received our documents about a month before sailing and we also had made our own travel arrangements. Good luck on your warm weather.

Jimbo we were on the starboard side and we were able to see the lava flowing into the sea from our balcony without leaving our cabin, about 10:15PM. Our routing took us from Hilo, around the south coast of the 'Big Island' to Kona.

Just make sure if your planning to switch sides that you know the exact routing the ship takes. This does change occasionally. Not all Island Princess cruises take the exact same course around the islands.

Thinking back, I don't think it would have mattered to us, except for the above comment, what side we were on.

We always book starboard side just because of habit. :)

BTW, our first cruise to Hawaii was on the Radiance, another beautiful ship.

I think if we were booking this trip again, we would still ask for port. It would be nice to view the volcano from our balcony, but personally I would just go to one of the public decks and watch. I still would prefer to be able to see people disembarking and to see the tenders. We hate to wait in big crowds and the one time we went down early to disembark, there was such a large crowd that people were stepping on our toes and there was no where to go. So we went back to our room and watched from our balcony until the heavy flow slowed to a trickle, and then just went down and walked right off.

And as cdnguy says, I understand that somtimes the routing changes. I just don't think there is a big advantage either way.

Here is the present itinerary we have.........so which side would be best to view the volcano from our balcony from? Is it still starboard side?

Oct 28 2005 HILO 11:00AM 6:00PM

Oct29 2005 KONA 8:00AM 6:00PM

Oct30 2005 KAUAI 8:00AM 6:00PM

Oct31 2005 HONOLULU 8:00AM 11:00PM

Nov01 2005 LAHAINA 8:00AM 4:00PM

We happen to always book port side by habit, guess it makes me kinda feel like I'm steering the ship that way like driving a car. Crazy isn't it?

Jimbo:)

Jimbo the first two ports are the same order as on our cruise so starboard would be the side to see the volcano (flow) providing Princess doesn't pull a surprise. Honolulu was our third port.

As ncstatefan has said, if you can't see what you want from your cabin, just go to a public area.

Book portside Jimbo if the volcano flow is important. :)

I read a review on these pages that said deck 9 and 10 (not sure name of decks) had balconies that were open to above decks. In other words - people above could look down on you. Is this true. Trying to decide what deck to be on. Our TA has quoted a great price for a BC balcony. It looks like one area to skip is the kiddie section at the back of one deck. I am leaning toward the Baja deck. Thats not one of the decks with the open balconies is it? How can I tell from the deck plan?

Archived