Island Princess Observations 11/5-11/20

ncstatefan

WOW! What an awesome thread! Now I cant wait to go in Oct 05!

Hey has anyone taken the bicycle tour where you go to the top of Haleakala Crater (Maui - spell) to see the sun rise and then ride bikes down the road from the top? Any details would be great!

Bobby

Loved Cruiser Phil's Bike Downhill - see the thread under ports of call, Hawaii, named Biking down Haleakala - Maui - I even posted a few pics! You are going to love it:D

We took the 9:30 am bike tour and it was incredible. I'm sure seeing the sunrise would be great but we didn't want to get up in the middle of the night to see it.

The bike ride will be similar.....it's a great tour for all ages. Me and Aloha Jackie are in our 40's and we loved it. It's a little hard to explain the sensations of riding a bike down hill for mile after mile. You really get to see and smell the island in a whole new way.

We have taken several tours on all of the islands and both of us said that the bike ride down Haliakala is the one tour we would do again.

I hope you give it a try.

Who did you book with? All the tours we are finding leave too early. We don't dock until 8:00am.

Deanna - you need to see my reply - above

See: http://www.cruiserphil.com/bikedownavolcano.html

CRUISER PHIL'S

58 A Amala Place

Kahului, Hawaii 96732

808-893-2332

1-877-764-2453

TWO TOURS TO CHOOSE FROM

• SUNRISE - $125.00 - Includes Continental Breakfast at our Baseyard, and Full Breakfast at Moana Café in Paia at ride's end.

• MORNING - $100.00 - Includes Continental Breakfast at our Baseyard, and Gourmet Lunch at Moana Café in Paia at ride's end.

Deanna - you need to see my reply - above

See: http://www.cruiserphil.com/bikedownavolcano.html

CRUISER PHIL'S

58 A Amala Place

Kahului, Hawaii 96732

808-893-2332

1-877-764-2453

TWO TOURS TO CHOOSE FROM

• SUNRISE - $125.00 - Includes Continental Breakfast at our Baseyard, and Full Breakfast at Moana Café in Paia at ride's end.

• MORNING - $100.00 - Includes Continental Breakfast at our Baseyard, and Gourmet Lunch at Moana Café in Paia at ride's end.

Hi Jackie... I saw your post and checked his web site. His tours leave too early. We don't dock until 8:00am. So a pick up before 8:00am won't work for us. Thanks :)

why dont you call or write an email and ask? There are lots of other companies that go there as well, I am sure that any of the reputable ones would be willing tpo work with you and perhaps others in your group would be interested, you could get a group together and go up there - I am sure that the 800 time isnt set in stone - islanders are very flexible - if you really want to do it that is, dont give up so eaily, and besides Cruiser Phils is worth it!

p.s. No, I dont get kickbacks, not related and dont have any financial interest in this - just paying it forward

why dont you call or write an email and ask? There are lots of other companies that go there as well, I am sure that any of the reputable ones would be willing tpo work with you and perhaps others in your group would be interested, you could get a group together and go up there - I am sure that the 800 time isnt set in stone - islanders are very flexible - if you really want to do it that is, dont give up so eaily, and besides Cruiser Phils is worth it!

p.s. No, I dont get kickbacks, not related and dont have any financial interest in this - just paying it forward

Thanks Jackie... I will do that.

This is just the greatest thread!! Hawaii is our very favorite place. Never been there from CA but a year ago we went from Vancouver to Hawaii on Legend of the Seas and back to CA from Honolulu on Radiance of the Seas. Now I want to go on the Island Princess, but I know, although we love sea days, I won't like the little amount of time on the islands themselves. It is a glorious place! When reading about the ice cream at Dole Pineapple Plantation it reminded me of a tip I should add - As you walk into the main building here, look to the left and a few yards that direction is another building. There were some interesting things in there including a section with TONS of t-shirts of good quality and designs very reasonably priced. We bought our supply to take home there! We've been to Hawaii many times and have always rented cars at each port. Driving is easy except in Honolulu. If you've never been and are only there for the day there is lots of good public transportation or taxis if you plan to stay in the downtown or Waikiki area. If you're going to go around the island then a rental car might be OK but be sure to leave plenty of time to turn it in and return to the ship on time. Driving on the other islands is a breeze! Enjoy!

Haven't posted much before but I did learn much from reading comments by experienced Princess cruisers prior to my first Princess cruise, so if I can be helpful to anyone with questions, I would be happy to do so.

Our 15th cruise - but first with Princess - was on Island Princess to Hawaii on 11/5/04.

NCStatefan,

Thanks for all the information you provided about your trip. I took notes and I am sure it will add to the pleasure of mine Christmas and New Year's. You are a wonderful writer.

:) Dazee

Aloha Jackie and others about biking down Haleakula,

I definately don't want to rain on your parade -- I think it's a great trip. Just wanted to tell you though that our friend got badly hurt on the trip in April. He was riding fine, but a teenager who had been a problem throughout the trip, lost control of his bke and ran into my friend, who was in front of him. My friend ended up with a broken collar bone, cracked ribs, etc. and had to be taken down the volcano in an ambulance, etc. He kept saying he wished he'd asked the guide earlier to straighten the kid out or wished he has simply moved to a position behind the kid. Just speak up if you think something isn't right!

(By the way, the teenager didn't fair that well either....apparently, he was stradling the bar of the bike and ended up with severly bruised cojones!)

Archived