Anti-Norovirus Hand Cleaner

JJPacer

I don't think anyone is planning on using these instead of soap, i think they are thinking about using them when they don't have access to soap.

I plan on using them to wipe down the counters & knobs in my cabin.

On our last cruise to Europe one young couple from our roll call was really anal retentive when it came to cleaning their cabin. I mean they scrubbed the living crap out of it with more anti every things you could think of. Super careful of everything they contacted. Guess what out of all of us they were the only two that got a stomach bug on the cruise.

Hi everyone-I have done some research on this.In front of me I have a 15 count pack of WetOnes.i payed 97 cents at the Walmart.The stuff that kills nero is called benzethonium cloride I read that wetones have this and they will do the job.Clorox has hand wipes too, but bleach and colored cloths dont miss.the way I understand, washing hands doesnt kill noro, it washs it down the drain,so washing is the thing to do alot .ive known some to go back to their cabins to wash etc.I wrote about this in another thread, and they say watch the elevator button,the rails,and those salt and peper shakers that are never clean with the table.We have been on HAL after an outbreak and they were spaying everything in sight.We just be careful and we do ok.

OK, I live in SW Florida where every Nov 1 we get a "swarm" of Northern

"Snowbirds" who bring all their cold/flu germs with them. Oh, don't get me wrong---they are my best friends down here. Anyway, about 3 yrs ago I started leaving a bottle of antiseptic handwash in my car and I use it every time I leave the grocery store, WalMart, CVS, etc. I have not had a cold since Labor Day '07. I really and truly think it helps by NOT bringing the germs into where you live!

Also, definitely bring some kind of handwash or wipes if you are cruising.

3 yrs ago we were in St. Maarten---Orient Beach. We had to use the restrooms "out back" of the bar and there was NO water--no paper towels. Also, last OCt, in a really cool bar in Ensenada, same thing. NO running water! You need to be very careful whn traveling in what many call "Third World Countries." Sorry to be blunt here, but carrying a small roll of TP is also a good idea!!

As a person who makes living in infection control I can tell you that if you are unable to wash your hands then rubbing them together vigorously is as effective as those alcohol hand gels in reducing the spread of pathogens.

WHAT?! I know a lot of people who work in hospitals and I never heard that one!

As a person who makes living in infection control I can tell you that if you are unable to wash your hands then rubbing them together vigorously is as effective as those alcohol hand gels in reducing the spread of pathogens.

My CBAT training last week recommended Cal Stat for hand sanitation, it's a gel containing 62% alcohol that's provided in every restroom and office in our building. If there is visible contamination, then we use soap and water.

Go to the CDC website. They say wash your hands as often as possible. They say alcohol OR chloride sanitizers DO NOT work against NORO. Alcohol does work against bacteria and anti virals work against SOME types of virus.

NORO is NOT one they work against.

Dan

2 years ago now both my youngest children, 7 and 5 at the time came down with full blown noro. (Traced it back to central kitchen at school)

For 2 straight days my dh, our oldest dd and I cleaned up after my little ones. Every 15 minutes for 6 straight hours. Let me tell you neither dh, dd or I got it. Because we washed our hand to point of chapped.

Now, I'm not suggesting that on a cruise but if we can avoid it while it's active in our house then it's avoidable.

I do not wish that stuff on anyone. It is the sickest I have ever seen my kids. One horrible weekend I will never forget.

Just wash your hands.:p

SOAP SOAP SOAP It's the only thing that truly kills those virus germs. The hand sanitizers are good in a pinch but whenever possible use SOAP. Victory has paper towels on the back of all public bathroom doors for you to use to open the door to exit. I hope all public restrooms begin to to do this. All I can say is SOAP:D

Threads similar to this have been around for 2 years and it all comes down to, what else? SOAP!!!!!!!!

This is a thread on the Azamara message board. It has good information, and I thought others would like to educate themselves on how to protect themselves from the norovirus. I learned information that I did not know.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=935088

The only problem with the thread is that the source of the information is some guys personal blog. It is simply his opinion. According to the CDC the best way to prevent noro is plain old soap and water used liberally and frequently.

Anti microbial soap and a 30 second hand wash works well. wondering how long 30 seconds is?? well just sing happy birthday twice. There is also a hand sanitizer out there called Avagaurd it's used by those of us who work in surgery. It is actually a replacement for surgical hand scrub it kills everything and i mean everything. It is however very pricey $120 for a 16 oz bottle but it works very well.

Archived