Hotels in Barcelona

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I highly recommend Hotel 1898, esp. if you are only there one night and want to have a really great experience. Perfect location and very elegant but comfortable hotel. www.hotel1898.com.

Cathy

Unfortunately, 2 night minimum stay required for our time frame. Otherwise, we'd be there.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I highly recommend Hotel 1898, esp. if you are only there one night and want to have a really great experience. Perfect location and very elegant but comfortable hotel. www.hotel1898.com.

Cathy

I agree with Cathy! We have stayed at Hotel Monte Carlo and Hotel 1898 and the H 1898 wins hands down! H1898 is located diagonally across from MC right on Los Ramblas. Never had any noise from either of the hotels and we were booked on the street sides in both. Super classy hotel and worth the extra $$.

Since we're arriving pretty early in the am, what can we expect as far as being able to check in, or at least find a place to safely stow our luggage at a hotel?

I would expect that any hotel could store your luggage until your room is ready, for a small tip of course!

I was looking at this hotel on tripadvisor, and decided against it as it is apperently in a red light district. Might not be a big deal, but thought you should be aware. We're only in BCN for 1 day, so I'd like to experience one of the better locations there.

I use to live in the red light area in Toronto, and I never noticed them;)

Sol Melia the owmers are are big in Spain and I have been to their resorts, they have all been good

Unfortunately, 2 night minimum stay required for our time frame. Otherwise, we'd be there.

Le Meridien next door to Hotel 1898 is also very nice. We stayed there for five nights and would highly recommend it if you want to stay on Las Ramblas.

My wife surprised me with an anniversary cruise leaving from Barcelona in May. I've been researching hotels in Barcelona for the past couple of days. We'll be arriving 2 days before the cruise and are looking for a 2-night stay, relatively close to the Rambla area (or at least close to a metro stop).

I've been there in the past on business and have stayed at the Hilton Diagonal, which is a nice hotel, but near the top of the price list (around €184/night). I've heard back from the Jazz and Continental, and neither has rooms available for the time I'll be there

There is room at the Coronado, which seems to be really close to the port, and not that far on metro to the rambla area. In the reviews, people have said it's a pretty small hotel, but for the price it seems hard to beat (€95 including breakfast). Has anyone had experience with this hotel?

It also appears that the Continental Palacete has rooms available, but it's an extra €45 per night. Is it worth the extra €90 to stay at the continental, with the 24 hr buffett and closer proximity to plaza de catalunya? It seems that it would be cheaper to get to that hotel via the airport bus, rather than a taxi, so it reduces it a little bit.

Since we're arriving pretty early in the am, what can we expect as far as being able to check in, or at least find a place to safely stow our luggage at a hotel?

We enjoyed the Continental Palacete and would definitely stay there again. Great location and staff but I wouldn't look at the buffet as a money saver or a place you're likely to actually have any meal other than breakfast. Everything is prepared and if it should be served hot, you need to put it in the microwave.

We managed breakfast (cold cereal, toast, fruit), snacks, and drinks (soda, water, beer) but most of what was there was unrecognizable to us.

We arrived early morning and they had a room to store our luggage since the rooms weren't ready. They also offered the buffet and drinks to us.

What I found most amazing was they didn't take a credit card when we checked in. Their policy is if you're not happy, you don't pay and I truly believe if we had said we weren't satisfied they would have said so sorry, no charge!

Loved Barcelona! Enjoy your trip..........

What I found most amazing was they didn't take a credit card when we checked in. Their policy is if you're not happy, you don't pay and I truly believe if we had said we weren't satisfied they would have said so sorry, no charge!

Really? It's a cash only place? Are most hotels in Barcelona like this?

Really? It's a cash only place? Are most hotels in Barcelona like this?

I think you misuderstood. They do not accept payment if you're not fully satisfied.

I checked their website and there are 2 hotels listed there; Hotel Continental Palacete

and the Hotel Continental Barcelona. We e-mailed the Continental Barcelona and got a price of 95 euros a night. The price is great considerig the buffet is included. We are European and and don't expect to be too surprised by what they offer in as a buffet. The best we found other than this was at the Atrium for 105 euros without the breakfast. We are sailing in August and will probably book a room there pre-cruise.

I just got e-mails from both the Hotel Continental Barcelona & The Continental Palacete. These are the prices if your travelling late August;

Continental Palacete;

Single or Double room (price “ALL INCLUDED” in euros, per room and per night):

Exterior room:

- With the “Versailles Lounge” , twin or queen bed: 220

- Tribune room, queen or twin beds: 180

- Sun room, queen bed: 170

Interior room:

- Standard room, queen or twin beds: 135

- Normal-small room, queen bed: 100/ person and 130/ two persons

*Extra bed (70 cm. wide) : Adults €55 – Children € 25 (under the age of 5: free of charge

Continental Barcelona;

Single room (price in euros, per room and per night):

- Exterior “Balcony room overlooking La Rambla, queen bed or twin beds: 115

- Interior “Standard Plus room”, queen bed or twin beds: 105

- Interior “Standard room”, queen bed: 85

- Interior “Normal-Small room”, queen bed: 75

Double room (price in euros, per room and per night):

- Exterior “Balcony room overlooking La Rambla, queen bed or twin beds: 115

- Interior “Standard Plus room”, queen bed or twin beds: 105

- Interior “Standard room”, queen bed: 95

*Extra bed (70 cm. wide) : Adults €40 – Children € 20 (under the age of 5: free of charge

Both offer the free breakfast and contiental buffets.

That is a GREAT price for a hotel that puts the Continental to shame. I know there are a lot of people here who love the Cont. or Cont. Palacete, but personally I have an aversion to both pink and plastic! If you can book Le Meridien for 159E, do it!

Cathy

That is a GREAT price for a hotel that puts the Continental to shame. I know there are a lot of people here who love the Cont. or Cont. Palacete, but personally I have an aversion to both pink and plastic! If you can book Le Meridien for 159E, do it!

Cathy

I am looking at Hotel Montecarlo with a "Get it Now" price of 120E per night. The catch is that it's unrefundable. I'm tempted. If we have to cancel the trip, my insurance should cover the loss.

Cathy

You can't generalize but have to take into question when you travel. In August, when we are cruising, a room with 2 single bed is s 159 euros but with a queen is 259 euros. The Continental is 95 euros. We are not comparing apples to apples here.

I am looking at Hotel Montecarlo with a "Get it Now" price of 120E per night. The catch is that it's unrefundable. I'm tempted. If we have to cancel the trip, my insurance should cover the loss.

Can you please tell me where you find these rates at the Montecarlo, Hotel1898, La Meridian, etc? I'm finding prices 2 to 3 times those on the top travel and hotel sites at the end of May '09.

Can you please tell me where you find these rates at the Montecarlo, Hotel1898, La Meridian, etc? I'm finding prices 2 to 3 times those on the top travel and hotel sites at the end of May '09.

I found the Get It Now rate at the Hotel Montecarlo on their site directly. Again, however, it is an unrefundable rate. I've also been checking Hotel 1898 directly as well but haven't gotten a rate lower than approx 250E per night. I haven't checked La Meridian at all. Perhaps another poster has?

Just checked La Meridian for the time that we're traveling and their king room special - nonrefundable - was 207E per night.

Question for all of you...

Would you choose Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo? Right now I can get a prepaid, unrefundable rate at Montecarlo of 120E/night for a standard room. Hotel Jazz, I've got a rate of 134E/night. Not much difference, but I am looking for opinions on the two hotels. Pros? Cons?

Hello all. We will be in Barcelona for a couple of nights in May 1,2,3. We are looking for a great hotel close to La Rambla. This is our first time to Barcelona and would love any help that anyone could give us. Please we are open to all suggestions on good places to stay as long as it is clean safe.

We stayed there last spring it was a great hotel, staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel 1 block off Las Ramblas very near the big food market. We really enjoyed our stay.

Question for all of you...

Would you choose Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo? Right now I can get a prepaid, unrefundable rate at Montecarlo of 120E/night for a standard room. Hotel Jazz, I've got a rate of 134E/night. Not much difference, but I am looking for opinions on the two hotels. Pros? Cons?

I believe Hotel Jazz is a sister hotel to Hotel 1898. I've stayed at Hotel Monte Carlo and we liked it okay but still prefer H1898. We got the best rates by emailing the hotels directly. They knew us by the time we got there with all of the questions we had. Hotel MC is right in the center of the crazy action and we loved the location and all of the room amenities. Hotel 1898 is just a little classier,more comfortable and worth the extra money if you can negotiate the rates to your liking.

Anyone stay at the Casa Fuser. I really do not want to stay on Las Ramblas..I like Passage de Gracia...nice shopping. I am of couse comparing this hotel to the Majestic.

We stayed at the Casa Fuster on a shopping trip prior to a cruise. Had a fabulous suite overlooking the Passeig de Gracia, nice amenities, etc., with a great breakfast buffet (included in our rate, €25 otherwise). Very convenient for getting around by bus and metro, or just walking.

We too had considered the Majestic, and there was a good rate available for our dates, but decided to go to the Casa Fuster based on tripadvisor reviews (got an excellent rate as well). Haven't ever stayed at the Majestic, but it looks nice from the outside.

You might also consider the Hotel Claris nearby, especially if you are interested in Egyptian antiquities.

Archived