Charge for fitness classes?

FlyGirl22

I will be traveling on Century next month, my first time on Celebrity. Is there a fee for group fitness classes? Do you have to pre-register for them?

Previously I've cruised with Royal Caribbean, and they charged for certain classes (pilates, yoga) but not for others (step aerobics). And I'm pretty sure you had to pre-register for some of the more popular classes.

As mentioned above, some classes are charged and some aren't, and there aren't many. It's usually the first couple (half hour each) of the day that are free, and the others are charged, at about $12 a class.

That said, I wasn't impressed with the classes on the ship, or the way it was managed. Despite being titled an "aerobics studio", they didn't have any aerobics. I asked the instructor and he gave a lame excuse in a somewhat condescending tone that it's not available due to the movement on the ocean.

Instead they were basically stretching classes for an hour - and if the ship's moving you're just as likely to lose your balance when stretching out for them too. :rolleyes:

As for registering, it's better that you do if you like the class. For example, there are only 10 bicycles in the spinning class and they were booked out on the first day. You can't use them at other times.

As mentioned above, some classes are charged and some aren't, and there aren't many. It's usually the first couple (half hour each) of the day that are free, and the others are charged, at about $12 a class.

That said, I wasn't impressed with the classes on the ship, or the way it was managed. Despite being titled an "aerobics studio", they didn't have any aerobics. I asked the instructor and he gave a lame excuse in a somewhat condescending tone that it's not available due to the movement on the ocean.

Instead they were basically stretching classes for an hour - and if the ship's moving you're just as likely to lose your balance when stretching out for them too. :rolleyes:

As for registering, it's better that you do if you like the class. For example, there are only 10 bicycles in the spinning class and they were booked out on the first day. You can't use them at other times.

Thanks for the info...and that's a totally lame excuse! How is it that other ships offer aerobics classes without people falling all over the place?

I guess I'll just count on spending some time in the gym instead.

I don't bother with the fitness classes, either. I don't think they are worth it and they interfere with my port time. I like to get up early and hit the gym before anyone else has a mind to. It's so nice working out and looking out of the windows. Then, on the way out I stop at the spa cafe and pick up my yogurt and water.

There was a charge for fitness classes on the Solstice. You had to sign up in advance, and you better do so quickly as they tend to fill up. There was a resistance class using a Total Gym, and a Spin class, in addition to Yoga/Pilates. They were all very good. You generally leave a gratuity of some sort.

• 11 months later...

Just got back off two Princess cruises and the same excuse was offered for lack of step and other aerobics courses. The gyms, you must remember, are a concession and not run by the cruiseline -- they are all staffed and run by the same outside firm (forget their name but they do all the major cruiselines.)

And of course its a silly excuse. Half the classes are given when the ship is in port anyway -- and right, you will fall over a lot more if you are standing on one foot in a yoga position or stretched out in plank in Pilates. That said, I enjoyed the Pilates classes and my husband took spin, so we do what we can.

There were a few free classes on the Equinox TA, but they were "very early" in the morning. There was one in the afternoon, but it was full about 15 minutes before it started. I was there in time, but several people were upset that they couldn't participate because there weren't enough mats.

I thought the fitness classes I took on the Century were good, and well worth the $12. One day the water was rough, and being so high up in the gym - it was challenging to do these side ways planks supported with one arm - don't know how to describe it better, sorry.

Some were free, some like the pilates or yoga, had a fee. I thought most of the classes were good. Didn't try a spinning class though.

We have used a few of the classes including the Spinning Class. A charge, but good class. Some of the classes weren't just stretching exercises. I do Tai Chi, which can be a 'challenge' at times, but usually works out.

The OP is asking about the classes and about the charges, not our opinion of whether to take a class or not, so I was surprised how many responded who have never taken any classes - it's a challenge slogging through posts of 'have never done this, but....' . When you post something such as that, you might think, 'Why am I posting here?'.

Just an idea.

Denny

I haven't taken any classes but have seen sign up sheets on m-class cruises. Looked liked they had 4 or 5 different classes and varied the times by day. I think I recall seeing the prices and most were $10. Don't know how busy they were nor if they sold out or not.

Archived