Grand Princess vs Ruby Princess

honeymoon06

My husband and I have been on the Emerald Princess and thought it was the most beautiful ship! We have also been on the Coral Princess (which was also lovely) but it was the bigger ship, the Emerald that really impressed us.

We're looking to do a caribbean cruise April next year. We can do the 10 night cruise on the Ruby Princess. I understand the Ruby will be just like the Emerald so this would be lovely. But....we could also do the 14 night cruise on the Grand Princess. 14 nights would be a real treat! But we've never seen the Grand.

Has anyone been on both classes of ship? How do they compare?

Many thanks for any advice.

Have been on both-most recently the Emerald which we love. We have done both of the 10 day Carribbean itineraries that you are considering (which the Ruby is doing next season) and enjoyed them both. It has been some years since we have been on the Grand, but have been on the Golden and Star more recently, and all are sister ships.

The Emerald is definitely better appointed that those ships and feels more luxurious in decor, but other than that we find them quite similar in layout. As much as I love the Emerald, 14 days sounds awfully nice!!

My husband and I have been on the Emerald Princess and thought it was the most beautiful ship! We have also been on the Coral Princess (which was also lovely) but it was the bigger ship, the Emerald that really impressed us.

We're looking to do a caribbean cruise April next year. We can do the 10 night cruise on the Ruby Princess. I understand the Ruby will be just like the Emerald so this would be lovely. But....we could also do the 14 night cruise on the Grand Princess. 14 nights would be a real treat! But we've never seen the Grand.

Has anyone been on both classes of ship? How do they compare?

Many thanks for any advice.

Having sailed the Grand 8 times it is an excellent choice but does not have the extras that the Emerald/Ruby have (Adagio/Crown Grill/Sabatinis in the aft part of the ship, etc). The Grand is definately worth taking though for the 14 days. I don't think you would be disappointed by either one.

We have sailed the Emerald 4 times and the Ruby once.

Thanks for your replies! It's great to hear that the grand is still a lovely ship.

I'd read on a couple of reviews that it is showing its age. Whilst i realise that the emerald/ruby are grander in decor, do you still find the grand is a luxurious ship? Or does is it look a bit worn in appearance now?

Places like the hot tub/pool areas......do you notice a difference?

We just came off from a Grand 14 day Carib cruise - and - the Grand is still Grand - food, service, etall, excellent. They are going into drydock in the near future to put in some of the Emereald ships amenities such as the International Cafe and so on. The ship is in excellent shape for its age. Go for it!!!.

OK - this for racacae - there are no signs on the Grand at the entrance to the alternate dining rooms that state "casual dress". I also asked the Headwaiter at one of the alternate dining venues and he stated that the dress code is whatever is posted in the PATTER for the day! Can you imagine that???

Ron

Recently I booked the April (14 day ) cruise on the Grand Princess. Having sailed the Crown (same as Ruby), the Grand is nearly identical except it doesn't have the extra deck (and the people) and The Persian Garden (no big deal). Perhaps the decor is different, but who cares, a 14 day cruise with all those wonderful ports of call vs a recently decorated 10 day cruise with a mediocre itinary! The Grand has been recently outfitted with Sanctuary, MUTS and all the restaurants. Also, if you desire an aft location (180 view),the Grand does NOT have the vents (noise/odors) that are located aft on the Ruby! Love the fact it embarks in Ft.Lauderdale.....save on the airfare cost and travel time. Have a great time whatever your decision.:)

I was having the same problem deciding which ship to take for our January 2010 Caribbean cruise. I opted for the Ruby Princess as the cruise date of January 19th worked the best for us.

I booked a Penthouse guarantee on the Riviera deck as a surprise to my wife who thinks we are in a mini-suite. Has anyone been in a PH on the Ruby lately that can share some photos?

I have sailed both cruises your looking to book. Sailed the Emerald 12/07 and just got off the Grand 1/09....I love 14 days, but 10 in the Caribbean is also nice for us...Call us crazy but part of our cruises experience is using the fitness facilities..another thing we love is the International Cafe..and the Caribe Cafe..as much as we enjoyed the Grand..which by the way has wonderful service..and food..and of course the great 14 day itinerary..we really missed the three things I mentioned that we enjoyed on the Emerald and the Crown..Therefore we doubt we will sail her in the near future..I will say both ships are wonderful and your decision will depend on what happens to be most important to you on your cruise! Enjoy:o

Thanks for your replies! It's great to hear that the grand is still a lovely ship.

I'd read on a couple of reviews that it is showing its age. Whilst i realise that the emerald/ruby are grander in decor, do you still find the grand is a luxurious ship? Or does is it look a bit worn in appearance now?

Places like the hot tub/pool areas......do you notice a difference?

On our sailing the hot tubs near the Sanctuary both worked maybe 4-5 days..mostly "lukewarm", one no bubbles..:mad: Therefore, yes I would say the pools and hot tubs on the Grand do show wear. Yes she is still a luxurious ship!;)

We did the Grand 14-day at the end of January and absolutely loved it. It was a wonderful itinerary and we'd do it again just for that! We've also cruised the Crown and Emerald, which are similar to the Ruby. We did miss the International Cafe on the Grand, but not that much! We cruised the Grand in 1998 when it was new and were quite pleased with how well the ship has been maintained. Sure it's not brand new like the Ruby, but they are working hard to maintain the Grand. While in port we saw them painting the ship a couple of times. Ruby = newer ship. Grand = a ship that is still grand. Itinerary -- well now we wish they had more 14-day itineraries!

Archived