Problem with date of cruise

GAMOM4

I have booked a cruise leaving out of Tampa on July 9th - I paid the $800.00 deposit for the 4 of us. It never even dawned on me when I was booking the cruise that the place my husband works might not let them take a vacation where 2 days are in one week and 1 is in the other - we would be leaving on Thursday and getting off the boat on Monday. Where I work we can take our vacation in days...and so neither one of us saw this as a problem - but we found out it is. We booked under the Early Saver Program so I know we couldn't just cancel and re-book - that is one disadvantage to that program...I couldn't get my PVP today - but what is the cost if I upgrade it to a 5 day from a 4 day because the 5 days either begin on Saturday or Monday - and both of those days would work out with my husband's place of employment. :confused:

You will have to pay the difference in fare between the 4 day and 5 day...not sure if you'll have to pay $50 pp to switch to another cruise since you booked under Easy Saver. Good luck. What a goofy policy. I guess I'm lucky in that I can pick when I want to vacation and just have to tell them I'm not going to be there. I decided on Friday that I wanted to take tomorrow off...no problem.

My PVP told me if we switched cruises when booking under the Super Saver that it would be $50 per person to switch!

Can he talk to his boss and find out if it would be ok to do it just this once? That he paid a non refundable deposit? It's worth a try!

Good Luck!

No matter if you change dates or what change, other than upgrading to a higher category cabin its $50 pp to change. Upgrading isnt changing to a 5 day from a 4 day unfortunately.

Im facing that possibility too, that the date wouldnt work out.

I told him to find out if he could take his vacation (since it has to be a "full week" at at time) one week and then take the next Monday off without pay. He has only been on this job for a year - so a vacation policy never really crossed our mind - he checked to be sure he would get a vacation..I am thankful that mine doesn't have to be taken like that because sometimes you don't need an entire week off at once! Originally we were looking at the 5 day cruise to start off with -- and ended up booking the 4 night cruise because it was so much cheaper. He is going to ask them tomorrow about the possibility of taking the day off without pay - and if he can't I guess that it an expensive lesson learned!!

You need to weigh what would cost more, the $200 to change or the loss of a days pay. For me it would just be cheaper to eat the $200 then lose a full day.

You must have a nice hourly rate to be making more than $200/day, not everyone is lucky enough to be making $30 or more per hour. There are a lot of people for whom a day without pay is an easier way to go than paying $200 out right...

I wish they did start after labor day...but no - one is in college and starts back the 1st or 2nd week of August and our high school starts back on August 20th. And I agree it does seem like the 1st thing I would think about would be vacation policy - but my husband has been a truck driver for the 23 years we have been married and we never had to work a vacation around a schedule...I thought I was doing good to make sure we planned the trip after we knew he would be eligible for his first ever paid vacation - but like I said I guess it was a lesson well learned.

Archived