Question for Aplmac and Barbados

FirstTimeCruiser27

Mr. Barbados and Aplmac, I must say that you guys are most helpful. It’s nice to get good information from a local. Can you do me a favor and rate the attractions below: Not a Must-See, Must See, or Proper for a longer stay/Land Vacation? Thanks in advance.

The Attractions:

Earthworks Pottery

Cattlewash

St. Nicholas Abbey

Miami Beach

Foul Bay

Speightstown

Holetown

St Johns Church

Francia Plantation House

Harrisons Cave

Welchman Hall Gully

Accra Beach/Rockley

Orchid World

Crane Beach

Bridgetown

Barbados Wildlife Reserve

Concorde Experience

Mahogany crafts by Medford Mahogany

Farley Hill

Flower Forest

Bottom Bay

Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary

Chalky Mount pottery

Cherry Tree Hill

Mount Gay Rum

Morgan Lewis Windmill

Sunbury Plantation House

Gun Hill Signal Station

…and would you recommend a taxi tour or an organize tour?

This is what I would do.

Get of ship early and arrange a cab for the day. Negotiate a price.

from port go west along the west coast road. Go to wild life reserve (If you like that kind of thing). Next right across the road from wild life res entrance is Farley Hill Park (must See) Great Pic opp of East coast and the rolling hills. Then head along the east coast road bathsheba, cattle wash etc and go to St. Johns church. Great view of bath, east coast light house, atlantic ocean. Walk around the tombs in the back and check some of the dates. After head for the crane beach hotel. You could have lunch there. again very scenic. from there if you are into the plane thing you could go to the concorde experience or just head straight to Accra beach where you will finally enjoy your swim in the lovely warm bajan water. Accra is about 20-25 mins from the port and you would have pretty much covered the whole island except the north point.

This is what I would do.

from port go west along the west coast road. Go to wild life reserve (If you like that kind of thing). Next right across the road from wild life res entrance is Farley Hill Park (must See) Great Pic opp of East coast and the rolling hills. Then head along the east coast road bathsheba, cattle wash etc and go to St. Johns church. Great view of bath, east coast light house, atlantic ocean. Walk around the tombs in the back and check some of the dates. After head for the crane beach hotel. You could have lunch there. again very scenic. from there if you are into the plane thing you could go to the concorde experience or just head straight to Accra beach where you will finally enjoy your swim in the lovely warm bajan water. Accra is about 20-25 mins from the port and you would have pretty much covered the whole island except the north point.

True dat! :)

This is what I would do.

We will be in Barbodos in April and have not been able to decide what to do. This sounds like an option for us - do you have any idea how much we could expect to pay for the taxi service? It seems like taxis are a bit expensive since I believe I read a RT taxi to Accra would be around $40 - is that right??

This is what I would do.

How much do you think this would cost me?

What do you think about Miami Beach and Foul Bay? What are they like?

How do they compare to Crane Beach and Bottom Bay? ===> They don't.

Miami Beach? not bad. Quite nice in fact..

Popular with locals. Food and drink available from local sources

Foul Bay? Remote...a bit shabby on the fringes...zero amenities.

Given a choice of the two, Miami Beach wins hands down,on several counts

not the least of which is that it's considerably closer to the dock

-and possibly a lot safer(personal-security-wise)

in that it's not a lonely beach,which Foul Bay is.

I don't like Foul Bay, never have.

It's not a bad beach,but whoever named it That ..really did it the ultimate dis-service.

Foul Bay has great potential. Maybe some day a big hotel chain will buy the whole thing

and spruce it up, but for now it remains merely "okay" in my opinion..

Foul Bay is just a mile away from Crane

so why not do sparkling Crane instead? Know what I mean?

We will be in Barbodos in April and have not been able to decide what to do. This sounds like an option for us - do you have any idea how much we could expect to pay for the taxi service? It seems like taxis are a bit expensive since I believe I read a RT taxi to Accra would be around $40 - is that right??

Just back from our 12 night cruise. We took a taxi from the cruise pier to Accra for $15 a person round trip. The driver drove us to the beach. He gave us some information about the renting the chairs etc. He gave us a place and time for pick up. He came back (about 30 minutes early) but he waited for everyone. We paid after we got back to the pier. We checked at the information desk inside the cruise building and they told us it should be $16 RT per person to Accra (Rockley Beach).

The beach was beautiful. We took a nice walk on the boardwalk. The vendors do not bother you on the beach.

Just back from our 12 night cruise. We took a taxi from the cruise pier to Accra for $15 a person round trip. The driver drove us to the beach. He gave us some information about the renting the chairs etc. He gave us a place and time for pick up. He came back (about 30 minutes early) but he waited for everyone. We paid after we got back to the pier. We checked at the information desk inside the cruise building and they told us it should be $16 RT per person to Accra (Rockley Beach).

The beach was beautiful. We took a nice walk on the boardwalk. The vendors do not bother you on the beach.

Thanks for your reply. I have heard there are beach bars there but I am a little conservative so how were the prices of beer, frozen drinks and food?

Thanks for your reply. I have heard there are beach bars there but I am a little conservative so how were the prices of beer, frozen drinks and food?

There are 4 little shacks serving drinks and food. The shacks are set up facing each other so when you go in the area everyone in the shacks call out to you for your business. My husband got a local beer and I had a very tasty Pina Colada (with lots of Mount Gay Rum) for $8.00. We did not think that was too bad since we could pay $8.00 for a Pina Colada at home without the view.

There are 4 little shacks serving drinks and food. The shacks are set up facing each other so when you go in the area everyone in the shacks call out to you for your business. My husband got a local beer and I had a very tasty Pina Colada (with lots of Mount Gay Rum) for $8.00. We did not think that was too bad since we could pay $8.00 for a Pina Colada at home without the view.
Sounds reasonable - Some of the islands spoil you, I think it was Costa Maya that you could get 5 or 6 Coronas for $10 and the food was really inexpensive too. One of the best memories we have of cruising is sitting at the beach bar for the afternoon with CC friends. I know things are a little higher in Barbados - this sounds like a good option and I agree, the view alone would be worth more than $8! Getting pretty excited around here - cruising in less than a month:D Need to decide if we want to tie a tour in with the beach - such difficult decisions:confused:

• 1 month later...

I hope you can answer this question... I would like to collect some shells (not the big conchs) but small shells. Were there shells at Rockley beach? Leaving Sunday!

I honestly don't remember shells at the Rockley Beach.....we had water shoes on in the water but I don't remember seeing any shells on the beach. We walked the boardwalk and came across a beach with lots of rocks.

Sorry I could not be more helpful....the beach was beautiful. Enjoy your vacation.

Archived