Why No Swim Diapers?

ceilidh1

I am curious about the "no diaper" rule in pools on board. I think I read that it was due to US health regulations, but I know that I have been able to take my baby in land based pools wearing a swim diaper - there are even swim lessons set up for little ones, right? So what is the difference? I have no strong opinion on it, either way, but just wondering why the rule came about!

The health codes for ships were set up differently than what we have in land based pools.

On land, the traditional "baby pool" will use a high level of chlorine and other chemicals to keep the bacteria in check.

From what I understand, on ships, no high levels of chlorine. The water is constantly emptied back into the ocean. So they can't use alot of chemicals and dump it right back - bad for fish. ;)

So the health regulations prevent diapers in pools because there aren't chemicals used to keep it clean enough. On ships that DO have special baby water areas (Disney and Royal Caribbean), the water in the area goes through a special filtration system to keep the bacteria levels down without using high amounts of chemicals.

And a word of warning, do not ask this question on the main boards. :eek: People have a tendency to get a little grumpy when this topic comes up. :)

Just because a swim diaper keeps in the "solids", the water from the pool flows right throught it, bringing all the "fecal" bacteria into the pool. Not good! The pools on most ships are sea-water--not chlorinated... it's definitely a health issue! Think of all the small children that actually ingest pool water while playing....ick!

That makes sense - I never really thought of it that way. Thanks for the clarification. I have to admit, I always cringe when I take my toddler for lessons - just thinking about all that gross stuff in the water. Mind you, I'm sure there are also plenty of adults that can't bring themselves to get out of the pool to use the bathroom - yuk!!!

Archived