Anyone rethinking how they pack for a cruise?

When we first started cruising in 1993, I took an outfit for every night and something for every day. As we took more and longer cruises, further and further afield, we began cutting back, by little bits initially, and ending up cutting with a vengeance. DH bought a tux for cruising, but eventually went back to renting so he wouldn't have to haul it with him. Then we got tired of formal nights and quit going to them altogether.

I've finally assembled a complete black Chicos Travelers (or equivalent pieces) wardrobe for overseas vacations/cruising. For the 3-week Italy/TA in Oct/Nov, I'll easily be able to take just a 25" bag and a daypack (small backpack); I know about throwing luggage up onto Italian trains!

My friend who is traveling with me this year, has never taken a cruise so this time I'll bring two sparkly georgette shirts to use over a tank w/black palazzo pants for formal. I'll wear one of them twice. Then I can use the palazzos for other nights too. The sparkly tops take virtually no room in the suitcase. I'm now down to 3 pair of black shoes and 1 pair of sandals. As I write this, I'm thinking I could cut back a pair of shoes, if I really needed to. I for sure make use of the ship's laundry.

Also bought a little netbook and, by connecting it through my cellphone, I can take care of bills or banking if I need to (at least on land - cellphone data connection would cost a fortune onboard). That, my Kindle, and my meds go in the backpack on the plane.

Where do you get the $20 laundry coupons for the celebrity cruise? Also nobody is mentioning sweaters or jackets. In early May in the eastern Mediteranean will I need a light jacket or will a couple of sweaters work?

Judy

We were in the Med on a cruise toward the end of last April. It was quite chilly in the Western part, but the East had temps averaging 80 F.

If you are on a cruise that sails to the East from say Barcelona I'd definitely take a jacket and you might need something warm to cover up in the evenings on deck in the Eastern end.

We were glad of our jackets.

Where do you get the $20 laundry coupons for the celebrity cruise? Also nobody is mentioning sweaters or jackets. In early May in the eastern Mediteranean will I need a light jacket or will a couple of sweaters work?

Judy

I wear a plain black cotton jacket/hoody for the plane trip which then gives me a jacket on the ship. Also I pack a faux pashmina scarf in case I need something in the evenings on the ship; again in black.

Kathy:)

Judy

Here's a trick- for outerwear jackets when traveling. Buy a short bungee cord and loop it throught the handle of your roller bag.Place your jacket or coat etc lengthway in the bungee.It works perfectly and when you go through the TSA scanner everything is together.

Carole

Judy

Judy: on same cruise as you. Plan to pack so to dress in layers. We did this when we cruised the very end of Nov/early Dec. last time. We had warm weather for the time period then but had heavier clothes to start with. I have checked all the (average) temps for our ports and they range from daytime highs of 69 (Istanbul) to 77 (Athens) and everything in between. So REALLY nice during the day for sightseeing. Then the evening/nighttime lows go from 54 (a few ports) to 59 in others. So for those where we are staying later (Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus) I would include a sweater or jacket depending on your personal thermometer. I ALWAYS freeze in the dining room.....so always take something that will go with slightly dressier stuff I wear there.

If you want to check the above weather info as I did..... for more detailed info go to www.americanexpressweather.com On the left side there is a "trip planner" put in the port and date and voila' you get lots of info.

Tex

Judy

I would take something like a rain jacket with a zip-out fleece liner. The two together keep me pretty warm and you can use either one alone. I'd wear or carry this rather than packing it.

I usually try to travel to Europe in the spring or fall, so I generally take a couple of light-weight sweaters along. Silk/cotton sweaters don't take up much room and keep you surprisingly warm versus a heavier weight cotton or wool sweater.

• 4 weeks later...
I also don't know about NCL laundry prices. While we were on Brilliance in Nov 07 I had them wash a BUNCH stuff. Jeans, pullovers, blouses, long sleeve t's - everything (well not undies :rolleyes:) and paid about $ 40.00 for dh's and $ 30.00 for mine. So $ 70.00 - worth every penny. I brought alot home clean.

PS: I do not wash stuff in the sink..... I am on vacation ! ;)

NCL has laundry specials at $25 per bag--offered about halfway through the cruise. (Star, March 09)

Archived