Our first Princess cruise

tigerdadky

Hi everyone, I just booked our first princess cruise to Alaska for 5/31 cruise. We have cruised twice with Carnival, loved them, and once with RCCL and didnt like it as well but still a great cruise. Just wondered what I can expect from Princess. I'm a believer that is no such thing as a bad cruise until they kick me off the ship, but just wondered what differences I can expect with Princess.

Hi everyone, I just booked our first princess cruise to Alaska for 5/31 cruise. We have cruised twice with Carnival, loved them, and once with RCCL and didnt like it as well but still a great cruise. Just wondered what I can expect from Princess. I'm a believer that is no such thing as a bad cruise until they kick me off the ship, but just wondered what differences I can expect with Princess.

After doing RCCL and Carnival we recently tried Princess. It was overall the best vacation we had. Many of the ideas or fears I had about this line went out the window. The average age tend to the older but it’s not the cruiseline for the old and cold, as I previously thought. The decor of the ship is understated and truly pleasing to the eye. There were not as many pool activities, something I missed from being on Carnival. The food is good but I thought they tried too much to be 'gourmet' in the MDR. The portions were too small for me a growing girl :p Princess is not trying to provide a theme park or mall atmosphere at sea, but a wonderful cruising experience. We are sailing next on the Golden Princess to Alaska with our kids. I hope they appreciate the ship and experience as much as we did.

There definitely are differences between the lines. We're taking Emerald Princess in

Scandinavia in Sept,our first Princess in 7 or 8 years. We've also sailed on Carnival, RCCL,

HAL and Cunard. Each cruise line has something special to offer. I actually think the

food on Carnival has passed some of the others in quality, something I never thought I'd

say. Carnival has plenty of activities, RCCL ships do, too, plus the Voyager ships have

a marvelous ice show. QM2 is just unique.......a real library, Harrods shopping, and

great lecturers. HAL I have less to say about.......handsome ships, but dark.

RCCL ships are just plain gorgeous, but not tacky. Carnival has toned down the tacky

a lot, QM2 very cosmopolitan, and Princess sophisticated and comfortable.

I absolutely recommend Princess for Alaska....for Glacier Bay if nothing else. Do get

a balcony......Alaska is one place it's a must.

I'm getting worried, though, about hearing food portions not being enough for a growing

girl. I already tend to get two appetizers and sometimes an entree plus one to share.

Sure don't want to have to order more than that!

We've done 3 Alaska cruises on Princess, and they were all great. Also, we sailed to Mexico on the Star last Fall and liked her a lot. Great Promenade Deck and really good food! It seemed to me that the food on the Star was above average for the ships we've been on.

I have a healthy 'growing girl' appetite. Not once on Carnival I felt I needed a second entree to meet my needs. However, not once on Princess I thought their serving was enough to meet my needs. I loved Carnival MDR but preferred Princess buffet. I like meals that land in my stomach and straighten my back. It takes a solid serving to do that.

Archived