How about us average joes??

chloes nana

I am new to Cruise Critic and to cruising in general. I just started posting and reading last October when I booked our Med. Cruise for 8/27, on the Noordam. I am a retired nurse and my husband is a retired truck driver, we are in our late 50's, and that being said we are your typical average Joes. We worked hard and have saved to make this the first of many adventures we plan to take. We are not the bankers, businessmen, travel agents, and upper echelon folks that have no qualms with letting it be known they only travel in the suites and PH. Okay there are some CC'ers who love the inside cabins and this is not directed towards you, I have found some wonderful people that are more than willing to give advice, and wonderful advice and responses I should add, and others who are very short and seeming to look down, literally, at my questions and comments.

on a recent thread this comment " Besides all of the people who never read the Know Before You Go booklet, we will now have a huge new crop of people who lack any clue about so many things answered there. I think HAL should continue to send that to first-timers" is typical to what I am starting to see in alot of threads. It seems everyone was a first timer once, but all seem to have forgotten that simple fact. so my question is: are the average passengers on HAL the friendly helpful ones I run into here mostly, or the stuffy ones that don't want to help and if you interject into a thread they dismiss you rather quickly. I have never sailed before and I hope the dream vacation I am preparing for my DH will be everything he can want and not be a disappointment. Any thoughts or help here?? Thanks to all who have assisted me in the past and all who will before we leave. ;)

that the people who post here represent only a teeny tiny fraction of the total number of passengers who sail HAL.

Further, remember that on any given HAL ship there are far more insides and outsides than there are suites and penthouses ... so I think there are more average passengers out there than you realize.

Average ... and proud to be so.

I'm sure you'll be fine, and meet many lovely people on your voyage ... enjoy your wonderful cruise!

Here's a related anecdote, or perhaps it illustrates my point about these boards ... eons ago I was dating a gentlemen, a lovely man he was ... he never told me, but I learned from other sources ... that his grandfather had founded the largest municipal bond house in America ... and, he and his son lived on a sizable trust fund, and continue to do so even today. But he dressed and behaved just like an average Joe and, if you were to meet him, you'd never guess his $$$$$$$$$$ background.

Hi, thanks for starting this thread. I've noticed that as well, and the more I surf, the more I notice it's the same people on here, that complain, and always the same view point interjected into every thread.

Although one cannot hear the tone of the response, where the response could've meant to be said jokingly, one would think that they'd be careful in their choice of words.

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of helpful hints out there, and I for one really appreciate them.

You will love the Noordam. We sailed on her 2 years in a row. It was the first time we sailed on HAL after not having been on a cruise in a long time. Raising children and mortgage payments sometimes get in the way of what we love doing most;), Everyone was very friendly and helpful that we met. We had great tablemates at dinner. Granted, you will always find some people that think they are above everyone, but I find they are easy to avoid. The first time we sailed we were in a VA and everyone at our table were in SC suites or better. Did not make a difference to anyone. Next time we were in an SC suite but did not brag about it or make anyone else feel that they were entitled to less service than we were. We are both working class (still working). DH works for the city and I am a tech in a doctor's office. Your cruise sounds fabulous. We are booked on the Noordam again for March 2010. So far away, but something to look forward to.

i am from a "blue collar" family many generations back..hard working Irish/Scotch, and proud of it...i can tell by reading most of these posts who is an average Joe and who isn't...most people i have met on my cruises are good people..enjoying the vacation they saved for, ....don't worry about what people say here on CC.. some posts i read, i think wow..how nice to take the time to answer that question..and others i think REALLY!!!! i want the world to revolve around me some day.....enjoy your hubby and your cruise..you sound like you deserve it

It didn't used to be like that on here but lately a certain group of posters have developed surperiority attitudes. I don't know why it is necessary to answer a question with the quote you posted. That is just rude and it certainly does not reflect the attitude of the majority of the people sailing on HAL. You and your DH will have a wonderful time and I hope your trip will be the first of many trips you will enjoy in your retirement. You worked hard to enjoy your life. Don't let people with a false sense of entitlement bother you. Ask some of us average joes and we'll try to help you.

Oh and catwait2cruise is right. Go read the Crystal boards. Besides taking fabulous luxury trips they are so unbelievably nice to each other. When a new Crystal cruiser asks a question the multiple responses that are respectful and informative. I even had to jump in one day and compliment them on how nice they are over there.

on a recent thread this comment " Besides all of the people who never read the Know Before You Go booklet, we will now have a huge new crop of people who lack any clue about so many things answered there. I think HAL should continue to send that to first-timers"

There's a Know Before You Go booklet? :eek:

Being in a suite doesn't necessarily mean you're wealthy... I was considering booking one just because the price works out really well with three people. I think a lot of families book suites for the same reason.

But I refuse to say I'm average. :cool:

I am new to Cruise Critic and to cruising in general. I just started posting and reading last October when I booked our Med. Cruise for 8/27, on the Noordam. I am a retired nurse and my husband is a retired truck driver, we are in our late 50's, and that being said we are your typical average Joes. We worked hard and have saved to make this the first of many adventures we plan to take. We are not the bankers, businessmen, travel agents, and upper echelon folks that have no qualms with letting it be known they only travel in the suites and PH. Okay there are some CC'ers who love the inside cabins and this is not directed towards you, I have found some wonderful people that are more than willing to give advice, and wonderful advice and responses I should add, and others who are very short and seeming to look down, literally, at my questions and comments.

on a recent thread this comment " Besides all of the people who never read the Know Before You Go booklet, we will now have a huge new crop of people who lack any clue about so many things answered there. I think HAL should continue to send that to first-timers" is typical to what I am starting to see in alot of threads. It seems everyone was a first timer once, but all seem to have forgotten that simple fact. so my question is: are the average passengers on HAL the friendly helpful ones I run into here mostly, or the stuffy ones that don't want to help and if you interject into a thread they dismiss you rather quickly. I have never sailed before and I hope the dream vacation I am preparing for my DH will be everything he can want and not be a disappointment. Any thoughts or help here?? Thanks to all who have assisted me in the past and all who will before we leave. ;)

I try to help as much as I can to answer people's questions.

If you have something you would like to know -- just ask -- there are a lot of friendly people here.

We just did back-to-back cruises on the Noordam -- two different Caribbean cruises.

We loved the Noordam -- she is a classy ship.

I am certain that you are going to have a wonderful time on your European cruise and the Noordam.

Enjoy!!

Wow! A 20 day for your first cruise!

You're braver than I was.

Rest easy though, you've picked a great ship with the Noordam, and a great line with Holland America.

By far, you'll find that MOST HAL cruisers are the 'cream of the average joes' in that they are generally better educated, more widely traveled, more polite, etc. than you'd expect to find in any random large group of people collected primarily from North America. (That especially applies to the boorish Americans like myself. :eek:)

This really makes the rude, drunken folk stand out even moreso than they do here on Cruise Critic. ;) It's very unusual to find someone you just don't like on a Holland America ship. :)

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

OK. I'm ready for the flames. :cool:

Being in a suite doesn't necessarily mean you're wealthy... I was considering booking one just because the price works out really well with three people. I think a lot of families book suites for the same reason.

Yes, there is a Know Before You Go booklet, and it will come in your document pac. If you would like to review the booklet before you get your docs, go to the online checkin page for your booking and, at the bottom of the page, there are links to important info, including a printable and/or readable version of the Know Before You Go.

I don't pretent to know what the OP meant when commenting on the suite life ... but it reminded me of many posts I've seen on the boards with "well, we always book suites", "we cruise 8 or 9 times a year" and similar statements. I do not feel that having a suite is a sign of wealth but I believe that flaunting it or bragging about the suite life, particularly during the current global economic meltdown, may come across as unseemly to those who save every nickel and dime for a dream vacation or for any other discretionary spending. Then again, the written word does not convey the same intonations as verbal communications.

First of all, I think it's not a good idea to set this up as a suite vs inside, blue collar vs white collar kind of thing. That is just going to foster more resentment here on the boards.

I'm not new to cruising, but I am new to HAL. There are those with over 5000+ postings, with notable exceptions.Krazy kruizer, jhannah, RuthC, LaffinVegas come to immediate mind , Jim and Ruth of the 1000 suitcases, who are extremely helpful, and some of those have often sailed in suites, that seem to have the attitude that they know everything, and that every little change is a cause celebre. Yes, there are a few that preface every post by saying "we always sail in suites", but I think those are in the minority. There are also those who will weigh in on certain subjects over and over again with the same opinion and sometimes do so only to fan certain flames, smoking/tipping comes to mind, but no pun intended. Yes, we get it already.

But do keep in mind, that overall, these boards are generally pretty helpful and CC posters are about 1% of the cruising population, so I would imagine you will meet a lot of really nice people, and probably some rude ones who've never even heard of CC on your cruise.

Nana,

First let me tell you that I was the first in my family to go to college. Everyone was blue collar with the normal strong American work ethic. I have been quite successful in business and thus can afford those suites you talk about. Further, I have traveled many times on 6 star lines in those same type (but considerably more expensive than HAL) accommodations. BUT .. let me say this, I discovered HAL on my fourth cruise and realized after a few more cruises with HAL and with the 6-star line that on the 6-star line: a) the folks are stuffy b) we spent most of dinnertime measuring each other’s business successes c) I, being a type-A who loved ice hockey rather than baseball as a young person, was competing with the best of them always d) my DW was very uncomfortable but just accepted these verbal duels, which is why I love her so much. Whereas, on HAL a) people were people, b) no one cared what my business was, c) there was a true cross-section of Americana on each cruise, d) the price of the cruise was affordable for everyone.

This is why we have continued to book HAL 3-1 over our old favorite 6-star.

Regarding this site, I find the people, for the most part (90-10 rule), very informative regarding anything about cruises. So, I believe you have come to the right place.

harry

Booking suites, as far as I'm concerned, is simply a matter of personal preference. My guess is ... and this is only a guess ... that many people who routinely book them live in large homes with plenty of space. Perhaps they would feel cramped in a standard cabin, so they book a suite. Also, some people would rather take shorter cruises in deluxe accommodations, and that is their choice. Some people like the extra "pampering" that comes with a suite, and consider that a vital part of their vacation experience. And, that's fine too.

But for others, even if they do have "means," accommodations are not that important to them. Their goal in taking a cruise is to see a certain destination ... or perhaps they like longer cruises. So they book them in more standard accommodations.

I'm the type of person that, while I am not rich by any means, could probably afford to stay in a suite for a shorter cruise. But I much prefer longer, more exotic cruises that are going to destinations I really enjoy. So, I routinely book the cheapest inside guarantee and especially since I often travel solo, that inside cabin suits me fine. I don't need the extra pampering. Just take me to those delightful destinations on a long, exotic cruise (my last HAL cruise was 35 days in length) and I'm happy as a clam.

So, to the OP, don't be under the misimpression that all people who book suites are necessarily rich. Many of them are not. It's just that the extra pampering is important to them and they consider it a vital part of their vacation experience. So, they book those accommodations even if it means they cruise less often or on cruises of shorter lengths.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Booking suites, as far as I'm concerned, is simply a matter of personal preference. My guess is ... and this is only a guess ... that many people who routinely book them live in large homes with plenty of space. Perhaps they would feel cramped in a standard cabin, so they book a suite. Also, some people would rather take shorter cruises in deluxe accommodations, and that is their choice. Some people like the extra "pampering" that comes with a suite, and consider that a vital part of their vacation experience. And, that's fine too.

But for others, even if they do have "means," accommodations are not that important to them. Their goal in taking a cruise is to see a certain destination ... or perhaps they like longer cruises. So they book them in more standard accommodations.

I'm the type of person that, while I am not rich by any means, could probably afford to stay in a suite for a shorter cruise. But I much prefer longer, more exotic cruises that are going to destinations I really enjoy. So, I routinely book the cheapest inside guarantee and especially since I often travel solo, that inside cabin suits me fine. I don't need the extra pampering. Just take me to those delightful destinations on a long, exotic cruise (my last HAL cruise was 35 days in length) and I'm happy as a clam.

So, to the OP, don't be under the misimpression that all people who book suites are necessarily rich. Many of them are not. It's just that the extra pampering is important to them and they consider it a vital part of their vacation experience. So, they book those accommodations even if it means they cruise less often or on cruises of shorter lengths.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would consider myself an "average "Joe" cruiser. While I have hundreds of days onboard, most have been with inside cabins, a few ocean vies cabins and 2 days with a balcony, which was an upgrade due to a cabin mixup with our first one.

I understand your question and your concerns. That said, I do agree with the content of the comment you quote, but NOT the tone. The "Know before you go" booklet has a gold mine of information for cruisers, first timers and repeaters. I even review it before each cruise to see if there are any changes.

I would have a concern that with e-documents, folks will NOT read the same information online that they might with a tidy booklet. In fact, numerous questions asked on this board would not be necessary if folks read the booklet. Some may still need clarification, but they would start with some HAL information. Just my thoughts

We're new cruisers as well (leaving March 15th on the Veendam, YAY!!:D) and I approach this site like any other message board, ask any questions you want (and don't be upset if certain ones don't get answered), answer any questions you can help out with, and stay out of everything else!:rolleyes:

Most posters here seem to be wonderfully helpful people..... and I have always relied on the kindness of strangers! ;) But once the ship sails: I'm not relying on anybody but hubby and I to thoroughly enjoy our cruise.:cool:

We are not first time cruisers and have sailed in all categories except inside - I can not stand not having at least a window - also have a hard time in elevators. Our first balcony was because my DW smoked and that was the best way to keep her from smoking in the cabin. The suites we have been in we were upgraded to.

That being said I think with this board and any blog you have to remember that some people will say things because they feel anonymous and would not say these same things to you face to face.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what others say there are to many good people on CC for the you to worry about the few.

Chloes nana, with all respect, when you posted in the "VIP" thread, asking if your veranda was only "2nd class" (paraphrasing here), and how could you get to be a VIP, you "sounded" quite offended. This is a static medium, requiring the reader to put as kind a "spin" as possible on the words of other people as they are read.

others who are very short and seeming to look down, literally, at my questions and comments.

on a recent thread this comment " Besides all of the people who never read the Know Before You Go booklet, we will now have a huge new crop of people who lack any clue about so many things answered there. I think HAL should continue to send that to first-timers" is typical to what I am starting to see in alot of threads. It seems everyone was a first timer once, but all seem to have forgotten that simple fact.

The poster that you are quoting here is simply stating an opinion. I tend to agree with it -- before MY first cruise, my travel agent filled me in on cruising (this was BEFORE the internet!). Now, with so many using the internet to book, and never actually talking to a TA, lots of people arrive on a ship without a clue. My DH was certainly clueless until I filled him in. My best friend, too, didn't have a clue. Several friends are interested in cruising, and are using me as a resource. We travelled with a half-a-boatload of the uninformed and clueless recently. If providing the "Know Before you Go" booklet helps some of those people, I'm all in favor of providing it.

I'm an "average Joe" as you put it; I also know that no one can make me feel inferior without my consent, as Eleanor Roosevelt said. If you choose to feel that others are bragging or one-upsmanning you, know that you bear some of that responsibility. Most people you will meet on HAL never ever ever ever EVER discuss their possessions, their "status", their money, etc. We've always found (until the last cruise) the passenger complement to be eclectic and interesting, and not at all concerned about "status".

I try to help as much as I can to answer people's questions.

If you have something you would like to know -- just ask -- there are a lot of friendly people here.

We just did back-to-back cruises on the Noordam -- two different Caribbean cruises.

We loved the Noordam -- she is a classy ship.

I am certain that you are going to have a wonderful time on your European cruise and the Noordam.

Enjoy!!

THANKS! as I said I have received some wonderful advice and tips from some people on here but there just seems to be alot of short people (adn I do not mean height wise) on here. I realize alot of people use the suites on all ships but why is it always necessary to state " I never travel in less than a suite" or "I have never sailed in less than a suite so I cannot answer your question" repeatedly, If you don't know the answer, why would you even respond to the thread?? average joes and yes I am one;), would rather use their money for excursions and overseas air fare and oh yes! that is coach also! I do have to follow weight limits on my bags and I do have to schlep them around myself. :rolleyes: and I love every moment of it! at least I can afford the luxury of going. I am quietly trying to absorb as much as I can without saying too much but it seems the water is a little yellow in the pool sometimes.

Wow! A 20 day for your first cruise!

You're braver than I was.

Rest easy though, you've picked a great ship with the Noordam, and a great line with Holland America.

By far, you'll find that MOST HAL cruisers are the 'cream of the average joes' in that they are generally better educated, more widely traveled, more polite, etc. than you'd expect to find in any random large group of people collected primarily from North America. (That especially applies to the boorish Americans like myself. :eek:)

This really makes the rude, drunken folk stand out even moreso than they do here on Cruise Critic. ;) It's very unusual to find someone you just don't like on a Holland America ship. :)

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

OK. I'm ready for the flames. :cool:

well I have the extinguisher!! so bring it on :D

While I am not new to cruising, I am new to HAL, when I first started reading the threads on HAL I was slightly concerned about the tone of some of the posters, but then I realized that it is not so much the HAL boards, but the subjects which can get a little scarey. my last cruise was the first time I spent anytime on the boards and I spent all of that time talking to the people on my roll call or on specific threads pertaining to ports I would be visiting,I always found people to be very friendly and helpful. I never really saw any of the inflammatory threads, since then I have noticed that these kind of threads seem to show up on most if not all cruise line threads, some times I read them just to laugh, I think there are just some people who like to stir things up :confused:

you will love your med cruise, we did the med in September and it was everything I dreamed it would be.

If you haven't been reading the med boards make sure you do, not only will you learn a lot of very helpful info, but the planning and reading about the places you will see can add so much to your cruise, as it is over all too quickly. Have fun

loraine

I realize alot of people use the suites on all ships but why is it always necessary to state " I never travel in less than a suite"

I just went back and read that thread that appears to be the cause of your agnst, and with all due respect, I believe that you are taking statements out of context. The OP of that thread posted a comment noting that he had been advised by HAL that he was given VIP status and asked what that meant. The thread then became a series of conjectures of how someone would obtain that designation. Some people thought that it was due to paying for suites on board, and others posted that they always stayed in suites and never were given VIP status. In that context, posting that one always stays in suites is perfectly relevant to that thread.

Now, if the thread was about trays in the Lido (and God knows, we have enough threads about that!), and someone made an ad hoc comment that they always stayed in suites while discussing the tray issue, well then I would see your point. But not in the case at hand.

And btw, not only do I not stay in suites, I rarely even bother getting a veranda cabin. In fact, my next cruise will most likely be in an inside cabin.......

On Carnival!

You can't get more "average joe" than that! :)

Archived