Ncl ship in vancouver for olympics

TCF

Vancouver TV news tonight ran a story about one of the big NCL ships being moored in Vancouver harbour, (the North Vancouver side actually), for the 2010 Winter Olympics and being rented out like an all-inclusive resort for those attending the games.

I think they said they are renting the cabins in four night blocks for $3000...but they didn't specify what category cabin/suite that might be!!! It also appeared it may be local business people that have chartered the ship and plan to operate it as a business venture rather than NCL doing it in their own right. Unfortunately TV news is never long on details so that was not too clear.

Also there are supposes to be three cruise ships chartered to house all the security personel for the games. Has anyone heard what line these ships are from?

I heard this a while ago - sounds like a fabulous idea! I have a feeling RCCL may be doing something similar as there are "coastals" advertised on their website for late Jan/Feb ending in Vancouver - we never have ships here at that time of year so I am wondering if this is Olympic related, too. I had heard that the ships would be used to house the folks involved in the Olympics, rather than those just attending, but no idea if that were true or not. I, myself, will be getting the heck out of the city for those two weeks - traffic is bad enough without the games@!@

Very interesting...I thought there was a plan a foot to charter a ship or two for the security people. I watch Global via StarChoice from down here each evening and read the online edition of the "Vancouver Sun" every morning but haven't seen or read anything about this for a while now. There was speculation over the weekend on the Celebrity board that it may be one or two of their ships.:confused:

RCCL have the following on their website

Jewel: 6 Days, 25 Jan, San Diego - Vancouver

Radience: 9 Days 22 Jan, San Diego - Vancouver

Jewel: 9 Days, 2 Mar, Vancouver - San Diego

Radiance: 10 Days, 2 Mar, Vancouver - San Diego

No pricing available right now though.

Why would they be taking 10 days to get back to San Diego.

So does this mean that the deal with the RCMP for two boats to house security personal is back on the radar screen.

The Norwegian Star will be the other ship in town for the Olympics - as I posted on the main NCL board - I was thinking of doing either the repo up to Vancouver from LA or the repo down to LA after the Games.

Cheers

Dennis

RCCL have the following on their website

Jewel: 6 Days, 25 Jan, San Diego - Vancouver

Radience: 9 Days 22 Jan, San Diego - Vancouver

Jewel: 9 Days, 2 Mar, Vancouver - San Diego

Radiance: 10 Days, 2 Mar, Vancouver - San Diego

No pricing available right now though.

Those cruises have been cancelled. We were booked on the Jewel March 2, 2010, cruise and RCI offered us a nice bit of compensation to move to another sailing.

RCI had a deal with a charter company, which in turn was dealing with the RCMP. The charter company and the RCMP deal fell apart and RCI couldn't salvage the deal. So Radiance will stay in San Diego for the winter, although I don't think they've loaded her schedule. Not sure what Jewel will be doing.

Why would they be taking 10 days to get back to San Diego

Because they had it scheduled as a coastal cruise, mainly US ports, with an overnight in San Francisco, a call in Catalina, etc. It was a convenient itinerary on a beautiful ship. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Those sailings are still showing on the RCCL web site as of last night so are you sure that they have been canceled or are they holding the space in the hope that a deal will still be worked out.

Cheers

Dennis

Those sailings are still showing on the RCCL web site as of last night so are you sure that they have been canceled or are they holding the space in the hope that a deal will still be worked out.

Cheers

Dennis

I attended a TA session on 2/21 on the Mariner where the VP of Itineraries (I don't recall her exact title, but part of her job is deciding them) said that they were going to be cancelling the cruises the next Wednesday. They've offered OBC and have guaranteed the cabin prices for people to change. I don't think they would do all that if they were still holding on to them.

Archived