Advice for cruising with 7 mo. old

KGF

DH and I will be going on our second cruise in August...first with our son. At the time of cruise our son will be 7 mos. I was hoping to get some advice on what to pack, excursions (to do or not do), experiences, etc.

We will be on the Carnival Conquest. TIA!

Most excursions will tell you the age limits and restrictions. At 7 mos, a child won't really care what you're doing, and they certainly won't remember any of it! I wouldn't recommend anything overly long---some excursions last for hours and hours....that's too much for a baby, IMO.

You could just go to a beach...most ports are easily done on your own, so you can stay as long as you like, rather than being stuck on an excursion when baby is fussy!

I don't know if Carnival has babysitting while parents do excursions...that may be something to look into. And, staying on the ship is also an option---on port days, the ship will be virtually empty--and it's quite pleasant spending time at the pool or just relaxing!

No babysitting or kids club for those under 2 on Carnival.

You will need to bring almost everything. It may be possible to get the kitchen to puree some food. At 7 months, he will probably just be eating a select number of solids, so it's best to bring your own, especially if he has food intolerances/allergies. You will need everything that you will need for any other trip: diapers, wipes, clothes, more clothes, more wipes, stroller, formula, bottles, dishwasher soap for washing those. I'm sure there's more - toys, but 7 month olds usually do well people watching. I've been a mom for over 13 years, so I just throw everything in the suitcase in my sleep ;)Don't count on being able to pick up anything at the ports if you run out.

No babysitting or kids club for those under 2 on Carnival.

Actually, there is. Carnival does have Babysitting hours for "Under 2s" It's a pay for use service, limited hours ;)

Don't know if alot of people do use it for babies this young, but it's there. :)

We've been on quite a few cruises with our kids when they were infants (son cruised at 4 months), and have found that independent tours are the best for babies and toddlers. The private tour operators are usually able to be flexible and accommodating and alter the tour to fit the needs of your little one.

Don't forget to bring the baby's carseat though....!

CeleBrat

Lets see, pack plenty of diapers, wipes, sunscreen, disposable bibs, baby food (gerber makes plastic ones), bottles, bottle brush, travel size dish soap to wash bottles in cabin sink, infant meds like tylenol, motrin, gas drops, small toys/rattles, hats, any favorites like pacifier, blankets, stuffed animals your baby is used to sleeping with. Carnival will provide a small metal port a crib but you may want to being your own sheets for it. I also bring clorox wipes to wipe it down beforehand. A blow-up bathtub (target has a duck one) to use in the cabin shower to bathe your baby, also works as a baby pool and you can use it dry as a playpen with toys in it between your lounge chairs on deck. I also bring the disposable wash cloths to wash the baby (huggies or johnson and johnson make these). A stroller that reclines, the smaller the better. A baby bjorn or infant carrier helps too.

Carnival does have babysitting from 10p-3am nightly for $6/hr also on sea days from noon-2pm and port days from arrival in port until noon all for $6/hr. There is also under 2 time in the playroom where you can go in and play with them on sea days from noon-2pm for no fee. You can also participate in all the family activities..welcome aboard party, ice cream socials etc.

Try to keep to your baby's schedule...feeding, naps etc., go with the flow dont overplan and be flexible. We always choose beach excursions or just walk around in ports. At 7 mo, we chose late seating dinner and put our DD to sleep in her stroller reclined with a towel covering it to make it dark and ate dinner in the dining room each night. She never woke up even once. We also would attempt shows by sitting in the back of the lounge with her in the stroller.

We had a great cruise with her at 7mo! It was so good we did it again 6 more times over the next 2 years. Now we will be sailing with our 3 yr old and our 8 mo old this summer.

Archived