Will cruise get canceled and/or airline go out of business before we sail next year?

chees

We are sailing in January 2010 from Rio to Valparaiso (Santiago) around the horn and into Antarctica. My issue is -- I'm a detail freak so I will be checking airfare now to get the best deal and purchase when the price is right (to/from SFO).

1 - HAL has already canceled the 20-day same itinerary cruise after this one (1/30/10). Any chance they will cancel this cruise (1/10/10 on the Veendam) also and I will be stuck with a pricey plane ticket to South America I won't be able to or want to use (especially if I purchase through LAN)?

2 - Will the airline go out of business before my travel or change their routings so much that they don't get me there in time, service that city, etc. (i.e. a domestic carrier like American/Delta pulling out of that market)?

I honestly don't know what to do as everything is in flux because of the economy. Any suggestions on when to purchase air?

Thanks, Tina

Any suggestions on when to purchase air?

The airline website is usually the least expensive as most travel websites charge the same plus a $5 fee. Try kayak.com for prices on airfare. As far as when to purchase it, keep checking each week. The prices seem to be on a roller coaster ride right now, buy it when you think the price is right.

There are no guarantees on the cruise or the flights/airline. If it is worrying you a great deal make sure to invest in a good travel insurance policy.

As for cruise changes, they can be well in advance or last minute...We booked our wedding cruise and about a year before they decided to move the ship to Europe early so we had to select a new cruise date. One of the Costa ships just had some major mechanical problems and they've canceled at least one sailing with very little notice.

As for flights...There is a good chance that there will be some changes to your flights. Sometimes these changes are just a change in aircraft type or a time change of a few minutes. Other times they cancel flights, replace flights, etc. In this case, the airlines are required to get you to your destination within a reasonable amount of time from your original reservation. If they can't do this you can request a refund for the flights.

Buy the airplane tickets.

If the cruise is canceled, you can still have a marvelous vacation in Chile and Argentina. Just do it on land between SCL and EZE. Personally, I think getting to spend time in Buenos Aires would be a great fallback position.

No one knows if your cruise will be cancelled. Luck of the draw there. I'd book my airline tickets when I saw tickets that I thought were reasonably priced. I'd purchase insurance but first be certain that I'd be covered for my airline tickets should my cruise be cancelled by the crusieline.

Many many times I've read that when cruiselines cancel cruises they will reimburse passengers the cost of airline change fees for their airline tickets to change to a different sailing. This may not just be offered but is sometimes given if requested.

If the though of the cruiseline cancelling my sailing or the airline going out of business or dropping/changing the route was really bothering me I'd not be booking my airfare until closer to sailing. Pretty easy decision for me IF I was worried about these things. Life's all about choices and gambles. Sometimes we win and sometimes we loose:)

Archived