Questions About Explorer

PSU

Since all the posters were so helpful about cabins on the Jewel, I have a question about a cabin on the Explorer. What about 1588 (a Grand Suite).

We have booked a cruise to the Southern Carribean in Feb. out of Cape Liberty.;)

Also, on our recent cruise on the Jewel, a woman said her friend was very disappointed with the Explorer and also with cruising out of Cape Liberty.

I have sailed from Cape Liberty before and liked it. Of course, three years ago, there was no luggage carousel.;)

Can anyone tell me how they liked the Explorer?

We sailed on EOS out of Cape Liberty this past Nov. Loved both the EOS and her friendly staff and Cape Liberty. We boarded very quickly. Walked right in the terminal and right up to a CS rep. In 5 minutes we had our sea pass in hand. We waited at the waiting area for about 20 minutes till the buses started to load. It was the quickest boarding we have ever had. Will be sailing on the EOS again out of Cape Liberty in Nov. Can't wait.

Judi :)

Regarding the ship herself, I absolutely love Explorer! I'll be going on her for the 3rd time in about 6 weeks. Last time was last year and she was still is beautiful sparkly-clean condition! The service was impeccable and we had an awesome time.

As far as sailing out of Cape Liberty, I will always have mixed feelings on it. It is NOT Miami, that's for sure! Here are my pros and cons about CL:

PROS:

• It's only an hour drive to my house
  • We don't have to pay for airfare, or fly (since I HATE flying!!!)
  • The NYC skyline is beautiful and also the sights of the Statue of Liberty and Verrazano are great too

CONS:

• You can never rely on the weather. No palm trees, no balmy wind, no tropical blue water right away like Miami
  • It's so close to my house, which of course is convenient, but doesn't give me that "I'm on my way to vacation" feeling like I have when I sail out of Miami
  • I don't get that 'I'm off duty' feeling because I still feel like I'm at home. That maybe comes the next day. :p

So that's what I think. HTH! :)

We just completed our third cruise on the Explorer. Each had different itineraries and sailed at different times of the year. We also sailed the NCL Gem out of NYC last April. Even though there were more food choices on the Gem, I would choose the Explorer any day. The ship is more comfortable and has more public space available, which is really important on sea days. The ship has alot of fun activities that will keep you entertained. Service on the ship is awesome as well. Some people have had issues with traffic coming into Cape Liberty, but we have not had problems on any of our cruises. Check in has always been quick. I think if you enjoy stress free cruising (no flying, bring what you want, etc...) you will like the Explorer.

Thanks for all your responses. Cape Liberty is only two hours from our house and after being stuck in Florida for almost two days after our cruise on the Jewel because of the snow in Philly, I think I will be glad not to fly during the winter.

We also chose EOS for a cruise last month primarily because it was a 2 hr drive from our house. There is no guaranty on the weather, but I would rather spend the 1st and last day on the ship than in and out of an airport and a plane. For two, flying to Fla and an overnight, meals, etc adds about $1K to the cost of the trip and the hassles of how/what/where to pack and luggage when flying seem to be getting worse (and more costly). Coming home, the first at sea day was not anywhere near as warm and comfortable as the second, and we were considerably more south on that 1st day. Last year, we took the "Noordam" out of NYC and even the 1st and last day were warm enough to be out at, and in the pool. You're in the gulf stream and it is always milder than the same position (north to south) than that positon on US mainland.

Since all the posters were so helpful about cabins on the Jewel, I have a question about a cabin on the Explorer. What about 1588 (a Grand Suite).

Not sure what you are looking for, all GS are the same. Plenty of room, a full size bathroom, large balcony, more closet space and drawers you need.

We like a GS because it is more in tune with staying in a hotel room. The location is forward on the ship, one deck up and you are at the solarium and fitness center, which is perfect for us. Straight down below using the elevator is the Promenade cafe for a quick snack. It is a long walk back to the buffet, but that can be a good thing. Never heard any noises from the deck above, or from the elevators.

Our next cruise we have 1548 reserved.

I was wondering if you could hear any noise in the Grand Suite from the pool above on deck 11. Thanks for telling me. :)

Can't tell you about the main pool deck. We always stay near the forward elevators under the solarium pool. Never had a problem there.

I was wondering if you could hear any noise in the Grand Suite from the pool above on deck 11. Thanks for telling me. :)

most likely yes, you will, at minimum, hear chairs and carts being moved...we have been under the pool/WJ area and that's all we heard...not many footsteps, just some periodic dragging of stuff.

Archived