Millennium 3/15/09 Sailing Canceled (Several merged threads)

Andy

15marmillie4.jpg

There goes the old girl....

off to Australia for her hip replacement.:eek:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Too Funny! :D Nine isnt old really... not when you compare her to the likes of the former P&O Canberra, the Eugenio Costa, QE2, The Festivale and Carnivale.... they were true oldies... and they had that wonderful camber fore and aft.... sigh!

We are booked on the 3/29 cruise from Sydney. Of course, Celebrity is still saying and we are still hoping it will sail as expected, but I would love to hear any news anyone has on the chances of that. Today, my family is sitting down to come up with plan B as well as Plan C, D, and E just in case....

We are booked on the 3/29 cruise from Sydney. Of course, Celebrity is still saying and we are still hoping it will sail as expected, but I would love to hear any news anyone has on the chances of that.....

I read over on another thread that if =X= decide to cancel, they will do it by the 22nd of March. So if it's still listed as 'on' at the 23rd of March, I think you'll be ok.

The Drydock sched has her going in on 18th and back into the water on 25th, so pretty high chance that your cruise will happen. Better start packing ;)

Hi Everyone !

I'm sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news, but I have just been informed the 3-15-09 Millennium sailing has been canceled. I will post more information as it becomes available.

The compensation package is expected to be generous. I should have details on the compensation shortly. For those booked on this sailing, I hope you will be able to re-book on another Cruise soon !

Hi, Andy.

I saw a post earlier with a picture of the Millenium in Aukland awaiting its repairs. I can't seem to find that again. Can you direct me to it!?

thanks,

Jewel Queen

I read over on another thread that if =X= decide to cancel, they will do it by the 22nd of March. So if it's still listed as 'on' at the 23rd of March, I think you'll be ok.

The Drydock sched has her going in on 18th and back into the water on 25th, so pretty high chance that your cruise will happen. Better start packing ;)

We, too, are booked for this cruise and I come on line everyday to check for updates! Fingers crossed. But we are still going to NZ even if it is cancelled. We need a vacation.

Jewel Queen

We are booked on the 3/29 cruise from Sydney. Of course, Celebrity is still saying and we are still hoping it will sail as expected, but I would love to hear any news anyone has on the chances of that. Today, my family is sitting down to come up with plan B as well as Plan C, D, and E just in case....

Kayla's Mom

We too are booked for this cruise. Our plan B is to go to NZ on our own. I check everyday for updates. I tried to answer you before but it went on another post. I'm still trying to learn how to use this post!!!

Jewel Queen

Hi, Andy.

I saw a post earlier with a picture of the Millenium in Aukland awaiting its repairs. I can't seem to find that again. Can you direct me to it!?

thanks,

Jewel Queen

Not sure which picture you mean as it arrived in and then sailed out of Auckland yesterday. It didn't actually stay there as repairs will be in Sydney, and it's sailing for there now.

Hi Kaylas Mom !

I've asked this question. As of today, (as you said) most are hopeful the sailing should proceed. My concern is, will the repairs be done on time ? If the repairs proceed as expected, you should be fine. There is no harm looking into a Plan B..... just in case.

If anything changes, I will post it the moment I hear something. I wish you all the very best !

Hi, Andy.

thanks,

Jewel Queen

Hi Jewel Queen !

As the last post by (The Big M) stated, the repairs will be done in Sydney. I am fairly certain that Millennium is on her way there now. If I hear anything further, I will post it on this thread. I hope everything works out for you, and everyone on the 3/29 sailing.

Hi, Andy.

thanks,

Jewel Queen

Are these the photos you’re talking about Jewel Queen???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18603525&postcount=172

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18610755&postcount=178

Thanks to Host Andy, Jewel Queen and everyone else!

I sure hope the 29th cruise happens, but we sat down as a family last night and came up withy the other pland. If X cancels in time for us to redeposit our frequent flier miles, we may skip NZ this year and try to book the same vacation with our credit next year. But we leave here (Washington DC) on the 27th, so something tells me we will find out to late.

I gave my gang the choice of going back to the Whitsundays (we went last year), trying to get a cabin on the RCCI ship headed to Vanuatu from Sydney, or doing NZ by land. Thrilled they picked NZ. So, I am developing a backup land route that takes us to Christchurch, Kaikoura, Queenstown, Milford, Taraunga, Rotorua, and Auckland. Suggestions welcome! :cool: Sounds exhausting - I hope the cruise happens.

We actually have 2 wks in Australia beginning tomorrow and then the 3/29 cruise, we hope. So, I really appreciate the posts so i can know if I've got to figure a land NZ portion out myself... I am already trying to get an idea of what we would do should we find out it doesn't sail. We'd fly to the South island and take it from there... ending in Auckland. Should be interesting!!!

the pic posted just before this are of the Millie...

I got this link from another post, it maps where ships are...

http://sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=9HJF9

it shows she's on her way westward... I haven't heard where she's going other than the Sydney area...

If you look at the bottom part of the link, it shows ship speed, wind conditions, wave height, etc. It is interesting to note the Millie's speed has been slightly under 20 knots (nautical miles per hour) since dropping off the passengers. I thought maximum speed was somewhere around 15-16 knots on one pod. Maybe they are pushing her a bit to maximize drydock time.

To all those on the March 29 Millenium.......we are coming up with a Plan B also....just in case. Saw on another thread that Celebrity said they would know by March 22 if the cruise was really going to happen....that's not much notice. We are going to Australia and New Zealand no matter what.

I am looking at the bright side---we will have more time in both countries if we don't cruise. The down side is we will have to drive and change hotels frequently. We would do Sydney/Blue Mountains and the Great Barrier Reef and skip Melbourne and Tasmania. In New Zealand, we would start at the bottom and make our way northward ending up in Auckland. We had already made arrangements in Waitomo for two nights at the end of the cruise so that's where we would end up.

I am disappointed in Celebrity because I believe they knew of this problem beforehand and waited until the last minute to address it. Now they want us to wait until the week before the cruise to see if it will happen. I am hopeful that it will happen but I am definitely making an alternative plan just in case.

Not sure which picture you mean as it arrived in and then sailed out of Auckland yesterday. It didn't actually stay there as repairs will be in Sydney, and it's sailing for there now.

Thanks. I thought it was in Auckland already being repaired! Do you still think it will be ready on March 29?

jewel queen

Interesting. Based on the average speeds shown for each leg, the info on the sailwx site is way beyond what the Millie can do on one pod. As matter of fact, the 26.5 knots average SOA (Speed Over All) is higher than her listed maximum cruising speed of 24 knots.

If the info is correct, either both pods are working well, or the captain is really trying to break something!

Interesting. Based on the average speeds shown for each leg, the info on the sailwx site is way beyond what the Millie can do on one pod. As matter of fact, the 26.5 knots average SOA (Speed Over All) is higher than her listed maximum cruising speed of 24 knots.

If the info is correct, either both pods are working well, or the captain is really trying to break something!

I think you'll find that's wind speed per leg, not ship speed. The leg where she recorded 38 knots for example - I think only the SS United States could have managed that! :cool:

Sounds like all of us are thinking of starting in the South and working North. But if they do, in fact, cancel us on March 22 or before we fly on the 27th (US Time) then we might redeposit our FF miles and try to rebook for next easter.

Does anyone know why Celebrity's schedule for next Easter is so limited? No Hawaii dates, no Sydney/Auckland dates. We really want to go, but we are thinking that we might just want to do the same thing next easter instead. In other words, we would rather cruise (my teenage daughter, the eponymous Kayla) would rather zorb!

Archived