Why dont more single mature men cruise???

bobbisailsolo

Hi everyone, had lots of fun reading your posts...so I decided to answer.

I really love to cruise for all the reasons already noted...I've cruised with groups of friends, family, my ex & always with my DD. I just broke down & booked my first single cruise (this time leaving DD with grandma).

I too tried a couple of the single M&G & man they were usually totally dead or 2 other women showed up...on one cruise a lot of non-singles came just for the free drinks...

I do always have a blast on cruises, I have always met very special people (m & f & families), many who have as much of a pasion for cruising as I do...what I do miss however is to have fun dancing or just being 'silly' with others of the same likes...so let's see if the 1st singles cruise brings extra fun!?!?

Barbara

Hi everyone, had lots of fun reading your posts...so I decided to answer.

I really love to cruise for all the reasons already noted...I've cruised with groups of friends, family, my ex & always with my DD. I just broke down & booked my first single cruise (this time leaving DD with grandma).

I too tried a couple of the single M&G & man they were usually totally dead or 2 other women showed up...on one cruise a lot of non-singles came just for the free drinks...

I do always have a blast on cruises, I have always met very special people (m & f & families), many who have as much of a pasion for cruising as I do...what I do miss however is to have fun dancing or just being 'silly' with others of the same likes...so let's see if the 1st singles cruise brings extra fun!?!?

Barbara

I will just miss you in the greek isles. my cruise leaves the 26th... and I'm a Barbara too!!!!

I will just miss you in the greek isles. my cruise leaves the 26th... and I'm a Barbara too!!!!

Barbara,

20 days - WOW! I had to peak at your iteniary out of curiosity, you'll love it!! Have you done the Med before? Are you going solo on this one too?Somehow Holland America hasn't crossed my path yet...but so many cruises still ahead of me...

Barbara

Barbara,

20 days - WOW! I had to peak at your iteniary out of curiosity, you'll love it!! Have you done the Med before? Are you going solo on this one too?Somehow Holland America hasn't crossed my path yet...but so many cruises still ahead of me...

Barbara

I ve been to europe several times, but never cruised. in fact, doing my first europe trip in a week by myself.. visiting Madrid for a week. Yes, going solo on the cruise. Did a solo on Hal last year to Alaskal.. though its a little quiet, it was very very nice. Im not much into glitz, more into seeing and learning.... so it was fine. But my 20 day cruise is so port intensive. i will be quite busy. where does your cruise go? did i see you are going on celebrity?

I have booked my first solo cruise over Thanksgiving after many years of cruising with (now deceased) DH. I have traveled by myself internationally for business many times. I go to Disney World by myself, I go to the beach by myself, so I thought "Self, why not take a cruise." The last thing I am looking for is a "date". I will be happy if some nice gentleman asks me to dance- that is about all the male companionship I want on this cruise. I just hope to find a few people, couples, groups, whatever, to get to know and meet for a drink. That is looking promising because I have met, on the Celebrity Connections board for my cruise, two nice ladies who are cruising with their families. My impression of the Singles get togethers on cruise ships was just about what I have read here-very few attendees and not well organized. I also suspect that they are probably aimed at a much younger demographic and not a person in her late 50's. I don't even know if Celebrity has them, but I will skip it if they do.

I investigated the organized singles group cruises. After reading about them, it sounded a little too organized for me. I am not into lots of silly games and contests whether it is a cruise ship activity for all passengers or limited to the members of the singles group. Also there seemed to be fewer single cruises on RCCL and Celebrity which is where my frequent cruiser status is and I like the perks and discounts that come with that.

I ve been to europe several times, but never cruised. in fact, doing my first europe trip in a week by myself.. visiting Madrid for a week. Yes, going solo on the cruise. Did a solo on Hal last year to Alaskal.. though its a little quiet, it was very very nice. Im not much into glitz, more into seeing and learning.... so it was fine. But my 20 day cruise is so port intensive. i will be quite busy. where does your cruise go? did i see you are going on celebrity?

You will love your 20 days, man they go by so fast on cruies & your ports of call will be lots of fun & a great diversity. Enjoy!!!

Well I have two cruises to look forward to. this summer we are doing Northern Europe & that one we are a group of 6 & I'm sue it will be a blast as each place is new & will be exciting to explore. Then in September it's the singles group, we start off in Venice (that I truly love) & we hit the Greek Islands - I've done them beore but really wanted to try an adult version of cruising... I'm also contemplating another New Year's eve cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale...it might materialize faster then I imagine... I've done celebrity before & loved it, will definitely try the again...I think now since we have been spoiled by the AMerican based cruise lines, it's hard to go back!

Straughn, I am sure you will have a great time. I have done 3 solo cruises, and in all honestly, I prefer being alone. Yes, sometimes I feel a little alone, but the plus side is you do what you want, when you want, where you want... and you get the whole cabin to yourself!!!

Barbara, you are quite a cruisier. You must have a lot of fun traveling with your group. I can never seem to find anyone who either has the time, resources, or inclincation to travel. I have been to italy before, and absolutley loved it... especially Rome. My cruise does not stop in Venice, but it hits alot of the southern italian ports. I can't wait to see Rome again. I booked a couple nights post cruise at a hotel right by the Pantheon. I've never been to greece, so that should be really nice. Yes the 20 days will go fast, but I think by the end, I will be ready to come home. I have another cruise planned for feb 14 next year, on norwegian sun to south america around the cape. Not really sure if I will go thru with it....but I have a aft balcony cabin reserved..so well see. I have 2 sons, and maybe 1 will want to join me. Which cruise line to you prefer? I have never been on celebrity.... i heard it is really nice. I just chose my hal cruise because it seemed like a really good deal for 20 days... and they give you a little break on the single supp if you chose an inside or outside w/o balcony.

Barb

Barbara, you are quite a cruisier. You must have a lot of fun traveling with your group. I can never seem to find anyone who either has the time, resources, or inclincation to travel. I have been to italy before, and absolutley loved it... especially Rome. My cruise does not stop in Venice, but it hits alot of the southern italian ports. I can't wait to see Rome again. I booked a couple nights post cruise at a hotel right by the Pantheon. I've never been to greece, so that should be really nice. Yes the 20 days will go fast, but I think by the end, I will be ready to come home. I have another cruise planned for feb 14 next year, on norwegian sun to south america around the cape. Not really sure if I will go thru with it....but I have a aft balcony cabin reserved..so well see. I have 2 sons, and maybe 1 will want to join me. Which cruise line to you prefer? I have never been on celebrity.... i heard it is really nice. I just chose my hal cruise because it seemed like a really good deal for 20 days... and they give you a little break on the single supp if you chose an inside or outside w/o balcony.

Barb

Friends of ours say that I'm either on a cruise, planning one or talking about one & this tends to make it contagious...we have rubbed off our traveling style on many & the majority loved it.

I really love when we can get another family to go with us, usually it's one of my DD's friends and their parents - it makes it a lot more fun for her & it's nice to know that she has a friend to be with at the teens club. I'm not a sticky kind & let the family do their own thing & we end up doing some things together but always end up meeting at dinner. I guess for me, if shes happy, I'm happy! If it's just the two of us that go, I tend to end up sort of 'solo' as she is off to the teens club & we meet up for meals, the show & do things together at the ports of call. My goal is to have her see 50 countries before she goes off to University...we'll reach 42 this summer & it's getting tougher to find places that we want to go to, or places to cruise to.

As to my cruise lin preference, I now tend to prefer RC, even though the European ones have been really good to start us off...but comparing the service, quality it definitely tops things. I still have to try HAL, Princess & Carnival...just booked our New Years trip with them...so they are now off the 'to-try'list...

Barb, enjoy Rome & all the places on your cruise...I personally think you will find special memories at every stop!

I won't say there are tons of single men on the cruises I've been on but there has always been a handful of single men between the ages of early 30s to mid-60s or so. The single guys who were 50+ were sailing with their grown or near-grown kids. Twice it was the kids that chatted me up first and then introduced me to their father.;)

I'm in the research stage of finding out whats out there, costs, activities, etc. I think I want to go on a singles cruise but Im concerned about many things. First of all, I have this fear that I will be trapped on this tiny island with a bunch of people having hysterical fun and there won't be any ladies near my age (say 48 to 63) that I am interested in talking to. And I will watch everyone else having fun and be more alone than I am at home. For me its about meeting single ladies and having fun but.... I guesws it just concerns me that I will pay this "double fee" and be stuck for a week or more. I know everyone will say, "Just go its a blast, quit worrying, etc". Nope, sorry i want some guarantees. I guess thats unreasonable, but you asked the question why "mature men don't go on cruises?" Im watching and waiting til I have a good feeling its right for me.

louie_rides2_s.jpg.576cb0a74c5e9ae4d8fce4ec0a20ba58.jpg

I'm in the research stage of finding out whats out there, costs, activities, etc. I think I want to go on a singles cruise but Im concerned about many things. First of all, I have this fear that I will be trapped on this tiny island with a bunch of people having hysterical fun and there won't be any ladies near my age (say 48 to 63) that I am interested in talking to. And I will watch everyone else having fun and be more alone than I am at home. For me its about meeting single ladies and having fun but.... I guesws it just concerns me that I will pay this "double fee" and be stuck for a week or more. I know everyone will say, "Just go its a blast, quit worrying, etc". Nope, sorry i want some guarantees. I guess thats unreasonable, but you asked the question why "mature men don't go on cruises?" Im watching and waiting til I have a good feeling its right for me.

Try one of the hosted singles cruises . . . several companies offer "baby boomer" or "40+" cruises where you're sure to find single women in the age range you want. I took my mother (then 64) on a cruise with me last spring -- there were many people in our group in her age range and she had a great time. Google "singles cruises" and you'll find the companies.

Christine

• 2 weeks later...
HI Vince, I agree, I dont think the cruise lines put much effort into the singles activities.. They probably just don't make enough money at it....but in my opinion, single cruises really would make a good target.. There is only one of us traveling so we have more to spend...

And I would probably spend even more, if there were more folks like me to sit at the bar and drink with...:D

Barb

About 16 years ago I sailed on the Holland Americas Line (HAL) Rotterdam V.

HAL organized a singles get together, and about a dozen people turned up. It was such a fun group! We ended up spending almost every evening together, dancing till late at the Starlight Lounge.

One lady from Kentucky met a man from Australia. They fell deeply in love, and to make a long story short are married and together to this day.

HAL did a nice job, and even had a staff member present, which helped with introductions, etc. They also held the event at a quieter time in the lounge, so you could talk with each other.

On the flip side, I went along to an NCL singles event, and it was the same experience that others have shared, i.e. in a busy bar with no way to tell who was single, and no staff member to get things going.

Hi Lois. I've only sailed on Carnival for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I've always had a great time. Second, the other lines seem to always be higher. And third, I enjoy the atmosphere. I figure why pay more when I can just get more cruises instead. lol I would like to try another cruise line at some point just to be able to make a true comparison, but can't justify paying for 7 day cruise on another line when I can take a B2B for almost the same amount or just a little more. I do check the prices of other lines when I'm looking for a cruise but always go back to Carnival.

I did notice some specials that were listed in the one thread but I'm already booked next month on a 7 day Truimph, 3 & 4day Imagination so I didn't look any further.

I love CC because most of the people here can relate to what being addicted to cruising is like. lol

-Mark

HI Mark,

What a great idea!! Carnival B2B. I usually cruise with RCL (9 times so far), but 5/24 am trying Princess out of Red Hook, NY. I have been looking at Carnival for 11/23 out of New York. You are right. For what I pay to cruise RCL in 9 days, I could go on 2 cruises with Carnival for a little more $$: category 1A. The only reason I have hesitated to go with Carnival is I have "heard" that it is a lot of "kids". However, you are motivating me to at least try Carnival and I am seriously considering 11/23/09 out of New York. Guess Carnival is not so bad if you have cruised with them several times. I may give them a "whirl".

Happy Cruising to all you solos,

I love cruising, so peaceful relaxing, fun, fun, fun, and the fantasy of it all!!!

NewJersey222;):)

Marie

HI Mark,

What a great idea!! Carnival B2B. I usually cruise with RCL (9 times so far), but 5/24 am trying Princess out of Red Hook, NY. I have been looking at Carnival for 11/23 out of New York. You are right. For what I pay to cruise RCL in 9 days, I could go on 2 cruises with Carnival for a little more $$: category 1A. The only reason I have hesitated to go with Carnival is I have "heard" that it is a lot of "kids". However, you are motivating me to at least try Carnival and I am seriously considering 11/23/09 out of New York. Guess Carnival is not so bad if you have cruised with them several times. I may give them a "whirl".

Happy Cruising to all you solos,

I love cruising, so peaceful relaxing, fun, fun, fun, and the fantasy of it all!!!

NewJersey222;):)

Marie

Hi Marie,

You should give Carnival a try, I know I always have a great time. But than again, just being on a cruise is great. Obviously like most cruises, when schools out there are more families with children. Which is spring break and the summer months. Other than that, there are few children. I know that because I'm leaving for my cruise on Sunday and it's spring break there will be a lot of children, but for the most part they're pretty well behaved. At least as well as any child on vacation could be expected. No matter what, I'm planning on having a great cruise.

-Mark

Hi Marie,

You should give Carnival a try, I know I always have a great time. But than again, just being on a cruise is great. Obviously like most cruises, when schools out there are more families with children. Which is spring break and the summer months. Other than that, there are few children. I know that because I'm leaving for my cruise on Sunday and it's spring break there will be a lot of children, but for the most part they're pretty well behaved. At least as well as any child on vacation could be expected. No matter what, I'm planning on having a great cruise.

-Mark

Mark,

I have nothing against children. When I have cruised with RCL, there were times when there were several hundred "little kids" on the ship, but you never kniew it because the cruiseline keeps them busy all day. By "kids" I meant the 20 and 30 year olds; and I have nothing against them either. Just I am an occasional drinker. When I cruise I get up at 6AM, go to the gym, bed around 11PM because I am on the "go" all day and by then I am tired from all the day time activities. One question I have: assuming I do try Carnival, I will take the train to Penn Station New York, and how difficult is it to get to the Carnival Terminal or would it be better to go to Newark Airport, like I am for my 5/24/09 cruise, and get a ship's transfer??

Thanks for your input,

:D:D:D:D

NewJersey222;)

Marie

Mark,

I have nothing against children. When I have cruised with RCL, there were times when there were several hundred "little kids" on the ship, but you never kniew it because the cruiseline keeps them busy all day. By "kids" I meant the 20 and 30 year olds; and I have nothing against them either. Just I am an occasional drinker. When I cruise I get up at 6AM, go to the gym, bed around 11PM because I am on the "go" all day and by then I am tired from all the day time activities. One question I have: assuming I do try Carnival, I will take the train to Penn Station New York, and how difficult is it to get to the Carnival Terminal or would it be better to go to Newark Airport, like I am for my 5/24/09 cruise, and get a ship's transfer??

Thanks for your input,

:D:D:D:D

NewJersey222;)

Marie

Marie,

Getting to the port from the train station is easy. You can just take a cab right outside the train station it's not that far. They will drop you off right at the pier. However, I normally have them drop me off across the street at the traffic light if there is a big traffic jam getting into the pier area. The first time going to a cruise there it took about 10-15 mins just to make a big loop. The next time they dropped me off across the street and it took me a minute or two to walk. I wouldn't go to Newark Airport because you would be paying a lot more for the transfer. I know that I take a train from Hamilton to NY and than take a cab. The trains like $22.00 round trip and the cab varies from $9-16 each way depending on traffic.

-Mark

I dont think you would have problems on any line finding single women to chat with...there are always single women on cruises..the ratio of single women to men is definatey in your favor... but whether you would be interested in talking to them... thats a completely different issue. I have started doing all my vacationing alone, as my friends choose not to travel for various reasons. i don't ever expect to have a blast....but i do see places i have never been b4, see art and architecture most people have only seen in books, and I meet new people, most of who are delightful... I make the best of it...and i would rather travel alone any time, rather than not travel at all....no, i wouldn't say I have a blast, but thats not my style anyways. If I can sit at the bar, and laugh and talk with the bartender, thats good enough for me.

If you looking for a lot of fun, you should probably stick with party cruiselines, like carnival, and do the caribbean.

Marie,

Getting to the port from the train station is easy. You can just take a cab right outside the train station it's not that far. They will drop you off right at the pier. However, I normally have them drop me off across the street at the traffic light if there is a big traffic jam getting into the pier area. The first time going to a cruise there it took about 10-15 mins just to make a big loop. The next time they dropped me off across the street and it took me a minute or two to walk. I wouldn't go to Newark Airport because you would be paying a lot more for the transfer. I know that I take a train from Hamilton to NY and than take a cab. The trains like $22.00 round trip and the cab varies from $9-16 each way depending on traffic.

-Mark

Mark,

Thank you very much for this info!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

Marie,

-Mark

Mark,

When you return, let us know how great your cruise was!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy,

NewJersey222

Marie

Mark,

Thank you very much for this info!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

Marie,

You're welcome. And I will make sure to let you know how the cruise was when I return on the 27th. Actually, I most likely won't be on here until the 28th since I get back late. lol

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...
I dont think you would have problems on any line finding single women to chat with...there are always single women on cruises..the ratio of single women to men is definatey in your favor... but whether you would be interested in talking to them... thats a completely different issue. I have started doing all my vacationing alone, as my friends choose not to travel for various reasons. i don't ever expect to have a blast....but i do see places i have never been b4, see art and architecture most people have only seen in books, and I meet new people, most of who are delightful... I make the best of it...and i would rather travel alone any time, rather than not travel at all....no, i wouldn't say I have a blast, but thats not my style anyways. If I can sit at the bar, and laugh and talk with the bartender, thats good enough for me.

If you looking for a lot of fun, you should probably stick with party cruiselines, like carnival, and do the caribbean.

I can only speak from Carnival, but the 2 times I've went solo I've met alot of people, both m/f, and had a great time, and am looking forward to my next one, Freedom May 31, alone again.

To address the original post, I would imagine it's a cost issue, since if money were not an issue, I'd probably cruise once a month!

I too am a single woman age 45 and I have a 9 yr old DD. I love to cruise and she to. I like the cruising better than the land trips because i meet so many interesting people. She gets her time and I get mine and then we share some time together. However, I agree, I looked in on the single meet and mingle but no one was there. I think single people that would like to meet other singles to spend time with and share conversations with feel like if they attend these they will look like they are desperate to find someone to hookup with on the trip. So they stay away, I know I do. I see woman and men walking around at times, but you don't know if they are cruising alone or if their family is standing on the other side. Maybe if the sail and sign card were color coated then we could tell if someone was single when they hand their card to the waiter. ha ha! great idea don't you think. Anyway, so refreshing to see that there are men that enjoy travelling and cruising. Where I am, I don't meet many men that enjoy it.

From what I remember seeing on the daily cruise activities list and what I have heard here, it seems that the singles get togethers are always in one of the lounges/disco in the evenings. That just screams "meet market" to me and I would interprete it as aimed at a younger crowd than I. I am interested in meeting any solo cruisers (male or female), not just single (male) cruisers. If the cruise line were to have a singles/solo cruisers get together, during the day, similar to the Celebrity Connections or RCCL Meet and Mingle events, that might have a different atmosphere, and would be a much more condusive (at least for me) to meeting and talking with other solo cruises. Let's face it, it's hard to have a conversation in the disco with the music blaring.

Archived