Eastleigh or Southampton to London by train?

We are staying in Eastleigh, and want to take the train to London for the day. Which is the better choice as far as convenience: London International or Eastleigh? :)

Eastleigh to London Waterloo on South West Trains. Travel time is approx 1h20m

Thanks.:) I've realized that if I purchase my ticket ahead of time, I would have to go to a ticket machine to retrieve our tickets. I see that Eastleigh is not listed for that. We will be coming off a cruise in Southampton. Is there a possibility of walking to the train station in Southampton to retrieve our tickets? We will have our luggage in tow. :eek:

Thanks.:) I've realized that if I purchase my ticket ahead of time, I would have to go to a ticket machine to retrieve our tickets. I see that Eastleigh is not listed for that. We will be coming off a cruise in Southampton. Is there a possibility of walking to the train station in Southampton to retrieve our tickets? We will have our luggage in tow. :eek:

You don't need to buy your tickets in advance. On most of the runs, it makes no difference.

The trains to Eastleigh from Southampton Central leave all the time, and there's various slow and fast trains, but even on a slow one, it's probably 15 mins tops. Not all trains call at Eastleigh (most do), what you want to be listening for is that Eastleigh is the next station past Southampton Airport heading toward London.

As for walking from the dock to the station; Southampton Central is walkable from the nearest (101 pier) about 1/2 mile, from the others you'd probably want a cab.

Can I purchase tickets at the Eastleigh station just before the journey? This station obviously doesn't have the automatic ticket machines.
Yes, you just go to the ticket office and buy your tickets. This is basically a commuter train. I don't think that there are any advance purchase fares for this route.

You will probably find automatic ticket machines at the station, too, that will take credit cards and/or cash. It's just that they are not connected to the advance booking systems that the online ticket sellers use.

Make sure that you either know which sort of ticket you want before you get to the ticket office, or explain carefully what you want (eg wanting to come back on the same day). I think that there may be some tickets that include a Travelcard (for use on the Tube, buses etc) at an attractive package rate. To research fares, try the official National Rail website.

Do you know if the tickets are higher on the day of travel?
I suggest you do some research with different dates using the website that I gave you the link to. You can then experiment with single fares, same day return fares, advance purchase periods, peal and off-peak hours etc.

But I would be surprised if there were any cheap advance purchase fares. As I said, these are not long distance trains but are much more commuter territory, within which there are few advance purchase deals.

Archived