Formal nights in Med?

Tipsy252

Are there 2 formal nights on a 1 week Med cruise? Also how formal do people tend to dress on the Med cruises for dinner? Trying to cut down on packing so need to know, will a Tux be required for DH?

Tipsy -

I am wondering the same... We are on a a 11 night and want to pack lightly.

I have looked thru here with no real luck.... I know how people feel about jeans and such in the dining room, but will we be ok in Chinos and a polo on most nights?

Thoughts?

TIA!

We were on a 7 night cruise on the Costa Concordia Thanksgiving week and had 2 formal nights. We did see men in Tux as well as those in business suites or even just a shirt and tie. Ladies wore everything from long formal gowns to just nice dresses. I also tried to pack light, wore the same short dress for both formal nights and slacks with different tops for the other nights and didn't feel out of place. DH wore a suit for formal night and just khakis(sp:confused:) the other nights.

Going on the concordia next Monday and we have had this problem as well but I have decided on 2 black skirts, one pencil, one swirly one and black evening trousers. I have 4 evening tops to mix and match and also three silk vests that I can wear day time or dress up with jewellry for night. My brother has decided it's not worth taking a suit jacket with him that he would not wear any other time except for walking along to the dining room which he would then take off before eating anyway. So he will be in shirt sleeves with a tie. With a luggage allowance of only 20kg we are trying to get down to the bare minimum. What we have done this year is swop our usual carry on bags which were the size of a padded camera bag to what I would class as a weekend bag.

Thanks cricket59 the ice cream is one of the things I'm really looking forward to. (If it wasn't for ice cream, cream and butter, I'd be slim!) The other is seeing the stars so I hope there won't be too much light coming from the ship to spoil this.

I was on the Costa Serena last October cruising from Venice to Greece, Turkey and Croatia. The "formal" nights were called "Gala" and the dress wasn't much different from the other nights in the dining rooms. On Gala nights, my wife worn a cocktail dresses, I worn a very nice black suit with with white shirt and french cuffs and solid color shiny ties. Our friends were slightly more formal with the husband with a tux and the wife wearing a long black strapless dress on one night and a pretty brown cocktail dress the second night. While we were not the most dresssed up, we were definitely in the top five percent. Most passengers worn just what they were wearing the other nights, maybe slightly dressier.

I have cruised Costa in the Caribbean twice and formal nights were much dressier than in the Med. In the med, the majority of the passengers were European, but not all, and another friend explained that Europeans don't usually dress formally on cruises, unless they are on the QEII.

We are planning another Costa cruise in the Med in 2010, and we do not plan on dressing down on Gala nights. They are called Gala nights to set a festive and dressy mood, and if the other passengers do not want to dress appropriately, then they are missing out. However, the casual dressers do ruin the mood for those who want to dress up more.

Archived