Babies on board

chapichapo

Hi!

I'd like to ask u how old do you think a baby should be to go on a cruise. I've always thought not before one yo but now I was reading through the forum and have just found out that there are a lot of people traveling with younger babies. Do you think it's confortable for the family and the people around?

:confused:

We went last year on a 12 day cruise on Celebrity w my 4yo DS and he just loved it! But now there's a new baby. I found a 7 day cruise living from our hometown but I'm in doubt as to wether the baby isn't too young (she'll be 7 months by then).

Also, I'm wondering how you go to dinner with the baby - just eat in the buffets all the time?

Please give me some sincere opinions: do you feel it's ok to travel on a cruise with a 7 month baby? Is it too tyring for everybody? Is it too incovenient for other guests?

Most ship's require a child to be 6 mos.---you don't have to stay in the buffet--the dining room staff is GREAT with kids!

A baby will be more "inconvenient" to the parents--not the other guests! There are so many things they won't be able to do with a child that young---someone has to sit in the room during naps and early nights....most excursions aren't suitable for small babies...

Folks travel with their kids all the time, so if it's a "family vacation", then go for it. (the child won't know a thing about it, tho...)

The 4 year old will have a blast! it's just different with babies--not bad...just different!

We started cruising with our first son when he was 5 months old (this was before most cruise lines put a 6 month age minimum). Just be prepared for a "working" vacation and you will have fun. Trust me, with someone doing all the cooking and most of the cleaning, it IS a vacation!

You know your child better than anyone. If he/she is a fussy baby that doesn't sleep well at night and has a lot of trouble when teething, it will be more difficult. Especially since you'll all be in one acabin. We've had 2 children who slept through the night at 6 weeks old and have been very adaptable to new places. Just be prepared to take the baby out of a situation if necessary and you'll be fine.

As for dinner, what always worked best for us was getting the baby to sleep right before going to dinner, which would last until at least the entrees and then we'd have a bottle ready for him when he woke up, which bought us more time. We go on NCL and Princess, that way we can choose when is the best time to go to the dining room. Of course, the buffet is always an option as well, if that doesn't work out.

As for being tiring, it's a lot easier at 7 months than when they start crawling and walking! Good luck in making your decision!

I cruised with DD at 6 mo and again at 7mo. I think cruising is a relatively easy vacation to take with an infant. You just have to know that it is not the same as traveling without the baby since all the "baby duties" follow you where ever you go. We never ate at the buffet. We went on NCL in a suite. We ate breakfast and lunch in Cagney's where the waitstaff really got to know us and were very helpful in entertaining our DD. For dinner we tried to go to dinner during DD's late nap. We ate in the main dinning room and the specialty resturants. If DD cried one of us would get up and walk with her for a while. One night we couldn't get her to settle down so we had to leave dinner. No biggie... dinner is free anyway so we just ordered room service. Having a balcony is nice so you can sit out there while the baby naps or after her bed time.

As far as other passangers go, I'm sure there are some that would rather the ships be baby free. I don't think it is much of their business so long a parent makes a resonable effort to keep their kids/babies in line.

The bottom line is that travel with a young child is harder than traveling as a couple but if you have a baby and choose to take a vacation I think a cruise is a good choice.

7 months is a ton easier than 1 yr. We started sailing with our DD at 7mo and since she wasnt mobile yet and would actually sit and play with toys for a while, it was much easier than when we sailed at 12mo and 19mo. Once they start crawling and walking, they dont want to sit still because they want to "practice" their new skills. We spent alot of the days just walking around the ship or climbing the stairs. It was easier when she was only 7 mo. We would put our DD to sleep in the stroller and eat in the dining room but with your 4yo it would be difficult to do late seating so I would say try early seating, bring finger foods (cherrios, gerber puffs) and just be prepared to take turns with the baby if he/she gets fussy. As a last resort you can always order room service or hit the buffet.Cruising with a baby is more work but its much easier than being at home since you have someone waiting on you for a change.

Hi,

Our son first cruised at 7 months, we took the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan. We chose the 2nd sitting dinner and the majority of the time he would sleep right through it. A few times he woke up and was happy as a lark. We would take him for group babysitting at 10 and attend the show, we always picked him up and found him fast a sleep. The crew gave him so much attention. At the captains cocktail party, the captain asked us if he could hold him. He is now 4. We are booked on an up coming cruise with him and his 9 month old sister. It is a great time.

Lets look at the other side of a 7 month old--teething. Not all babies are happy go lucky during that period- Some are down right cranky.

On a cruise you will go with the babies schedule to make it easier on yourself. - get a balcony cabin so you have an escape when the baby is sleeping.

I took a cruise when my daughter was 12 months old and I was 5 months pregnant! And p.s. - I took my sister and left my husband at home!:p

My fondest memory was of the staff - they are months at sea away from their families and just adored my daughter. We ate all our meals in the dining room without problem. Our waiter even introduced her to Fruit Loop cereal (which began her life long love of sugar and junk!). The Maitre 'D carried her around on his hip so she could say "hi" to all the dining room staff during lunch.

I thought it was a wonderful trip! Have a great time and congratulations on your expanded family!

We took our son on his first cruise when he was 9 months old. He was great. We never bothered with the stroller on the ship. The staff in the buffet were particularly great with him. They all would stop by every morning and chat with him. The Dining Room staff got to know what he wanted after just one night. Every night after that there would be some cheerios and a cut up banana soon after we arrived.

We managed to enjoy ourselves completely. I don't believe that we disturbed other passengers in any way. I can't say the same will be true after our next cruise. One year later and he loves to get into everything. I guess we will see how he does.

Just got back with our 7 month old and it was a blast. We had the early dining and went to the MDR 7 out of the 9 nights. We either brought the stroller or car seat to dinner and she either played with her toys or passed out. One time she got a little cranky, i took her for a quick walk in between appetizer and main course. She fell asleep and we went back to normal.

Like other's have said though, it is more like a working vacation. But that would be no matter where you go on vacation

Thank you all. I'm really into it after reading all your experiences. Last year we did have a wonderfull time (I was preagnant too, honeywell).

I must look for a cruise perhaps for the new year or something but I've given up on this one. After reading a bit more on the forums we realise the cruiseline isn't as good as we thought and especially the itinerary isn't really what we want to do. So, I must do some more "research" and try to find something a little better.

Just got back with our 7 month old and it was a blast. We had the early dining and went to the MDR 7 out of the 9 nights. We either brought the stroller or car seat to dinner and she either played with her toys or passed out. One time she got a little cranky, i took her for a quick walk in between appetizer and main course. She fell asleep and we went back to normal.

Like other's have said though, it is more like a working vacation. But that would be no matter where you go on vacation

That is great to hear! Thanks for sharing! Any vacation will be a working vacation with a baby so you might as well take a cruise!

Call me crazy but I just looovveee that work :p

We've found another cruise leaving from a city that's not too far and we can take a direct 2 hour flight there, so... we're reconsidering it for this summer. The itinerary is good and it's with NCL.

I totally agree with the posts above, 7 months is much easier than one or two years old! Go with the childs schedule and work around it for an easy time. When the baby falls asleep in the stroller you can go to a nice dinner and maybe a show. We did that every night and if the baby woke up I just got up and walked him around and then came back for dinner. If you are prepared and don't have unrealistic expectations, then you will be fine. Also Norwegian only charges taxes on kids under two. So you can save a bit there, plus they are really child friendly.

We are taking our 2-yr old on his first cruise next month. I am really nervous about the "working" vacation ruining my most prized time of the year--cruising. I am bringing his favorite babysitter along with us to help watch him when he's not in Camp Carnival so that I will feel like I have some freedom to enjoy the cruise without having to constantly be on Mommy patrol. I figure I'll not need the sitter after a couple more years when he's a little older. I can't explain how much I am looking forward to dancing with him on the pool deck to the reggae band, though!!!!

We're still trying to compile a list of "must brings" and "nice to haves". It will be strange not having a saucer or swing but we may disassemble the rocker and bring it with us. We bought two umbrella strollers which are collapsable and VERY light!

We're still trying to figure out whether to bring 3 cans of baby powder and jars of baby food or stop at bayside (walgreens/cvs) and buy baby stuff there.

Does anyone have experience with NCL making pureed food for babies upon request? Do we have to let them know in advance or just when we get on the ship?

Thanks.

USAwife I'm hoping that between me, my husband an my mother in law who is great with the kids, I'll have some time to sit in the sun. ;) One of my favorite things is to sit in the deck reading a nice book and just listning to the sea... :D

Volunton I'm also starting a packing list. But I still have some time - we'll be traveling in late August... hehe ;) I'm wondering about the umbrella stroller since the big one has the advantage of beeing more confortable for some nappy time out and also we can use it as a rocking chair, car seat, etc.. So I think I'll face the weight problem. I think I'm bringing everything I need for the baby. I'd rather buy us some t-shirts at the boat ship (or on port) than run out of something she needs.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is pregnant at the moment and i'd love to bring the baby with us when it is about 14 months old. This thread has given me a lot of info and things to think about.

the babysitting option sounds great and its more about relaxing than doing activities. Also coming all the way from Ireland for a cruise we have to make sure and make the correct decision.

Archived