Why Sitka

Debbie&Chaz

Intopuffins- just a question- ever been to Maine??? This is the BEST puffin experience in the wild you can probably get. I go with a vendor out of Joneport, who has permits for access to a Canadian Island- which is a puffin rookery. Has a couple bird blinds that you have CLOSE up views, feet away. :)

Intopuffins- just a question- ever been to Maine??? This is the BEST puffin experience in the wild you can probably get. I go with a vendor out of Joneport, who has permits for access to a Canadian Island- which is a puffin rookery. Has a couple bird blinds that you have CLOSE up views, feet away. :)

Would you share this vendor's name?

Any particular time of year - like are the puffins there year round. I like to go there in October for the fall colors. Didn't know if they migrated or anything. Obviously, I don't know much about puffins and their activity.

Any particular time of year - like are the puffins there year round. I like to go there in October for the fall colors. Didn't know if they migrated or anything. Obviously, I don't know much about puffins and their activity.

Nope October is too late, they are sea birds and go out to sea. They are only on the island to nest. During the summer is the best time.

I dont know. We saw dozens of whales each of the 3 times we've gone out in Sikta. In addition to humpbacks, we also saw grey whales and killer whales and 1 minke whale. Plus all the other stuff. As far as puffins, they get to Lazaria Island in May and stay through Mid September or so. The island in itself is just amazing, let alone all the different amazing birds and cliffs and teeming fish. And the surf wave on the way over to Lazaria. Sitka is so fabulous and we are so excited! We bought a new camera for the trip to get some new good whale and puffin and everything else pictures! And we stop there twice this year!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,:) I did the Sea Otter and Wildlife tour last year and really

enjoyed it.

I am going to Alaska again in Septmeber with Sitka

on the itinerary. After reading this thread I think this time

I will just go out on my own without a tour.:)

Sounds very doable!:D

Don't miss the National Park Service's Bishop's House. If your over 62, get or bring your NPS Golden Passport (Senior Pass) to get in for free. It's an easy walk from the tender drop-off.

Can we do this thru the local bus transportation on July 3rd ( carnival spirit) ? Please suggest.

Japonski Island

Totem Park

Silver Bay

Bear watching

Not sure where Silver Bay is, but, IF you have no mobility limitations and time, you can walk to the other two locations, or arrange transportation. listings http://www.sitka.org Bear viewing in the wild is definately not likely, without some type of specific tour with a good track record.

Archived