Barbados on Easter Sunday

gr82cu2

I'm trying to plan our day in Barbados on Easter Sunday. I have read through these threads and would love to go to Rockley/Accra beach but I'm concerned with it being Sunday AND a holiday that transportation might be iffy. Aplmac, if you're reading this, do you have any advice? Would we be better off sticking to a ship sponsored excursion on that day? I can't wait to see this beautiful island and play in the crystal blue water :D

Thanks!

I certainly wouldn't plan on any shopping or other similar commercial activity.

This will be a long 4-day weekend, :):)

starting with Good Friday and continuing right thru until midnight of Easter Monday!

However, ground transportation i.e taxis...should not be affected in any significant manner

that would make getting to Accra/Rockley difficult, or returning to the ship.

There will be a lot less bus-type transport

(probably blue Gov't. buses only, and even them on the sparse side)

and a few less taxis..

but if you allow enough time to get back top the dock

I can't see you having much problem getting a cab right outside Accra Beach Hotel

where those guys have been for decades!

Coming on to the close of cruise ship/tourist season

we still need your money -you should be OK.

In the event that taxi transportation at the dock seems sparse

are there any beaches that we could walk to? That you would recommend?

It's probably a mile all told to walk to Carlisle Bay/LobsterAlive/Boatyard

but on a quiet easter Sunday morning, with other cruisers also heading that way as well

you could walk in the direction of Bridgetown, past the helicopters place

(maybe/prob. not working on Easter Sunday) to the waterfront and boardwalk..

BTown-506.jpg

heading in this direction

Turn right at the top end of this boardwalk to cross the bridge with a prominent arch at its other end

-head that way thru the arch and another 250 yds. up Bay Street right in front of you is access to free Carlisle Bay.

Just past Boatyard(colorful wall on the right) is an open public access area.

Beach chairs big umbrella rentals -and drinks- are available from nearby places.

Not difficult to do.

Lobster_s_umbrellas.jpg

Half-mile up the beach to your left

in the direction of Barbados Hilton

the beach goes on for quite aways.

CBay-4.jpg

Aplmac, thank you sooooo much! You are wonderful! That looks just lovely :D
Thirty years ago, Carlisle Bay wasn't much of a beach at all

but it's been filling in nicely and is now quite a strand ..on the scale of Grand Anse Beach in Grenada!

Barbadians often have their 'Best Beach' mindset firmly made-up from childhood times

but many are now saying that Carlisle Bay is one of our best beaches now, if not the best.

CarlisleBay11a.jpg

The only thing that brings it down a bit...is the land-side surroundings which, in parts,

can be the backs of warehouses(close-to-the-city end of it)

and some older, less-cared-for residences...but on a beach now 100 yds wide

those distractions are often not noticeable!

The beach itself is verrry nice.

0022.jpg

We're going to be there next year on Easter Sunday and I'm wondering since we won't want to just go to the beach, what there is going to be for us to do. We'll be a family/friends group of at least 15 with little ones 1-1/2, 3 and 5 and then the rest are adults ranging in age from the 20s to 60s. Harrison Caves is closed so that ends that idea but what else will be open that will be for both the kids and/or the adults. Any ideas would be great. I don't mind getting a private guide but its been years since we've been there and we didn't have any kids that young with us.

Aplmac, thank you very much! :D

In the event that taxi transportation at the dock seems sparse, are there any beaches that we could walk to? That you would recommend?

In addition to the beaches aplmac mentioned you can also try Brandons beach...it is alot closer to the port...probably about 10 minutes leisurely walk. It is a popular spot with the locals and its a bank holiday so lots of activity will be on the beach...families pinicking etc...

There is no such thing as a bad beach in Barbados so you should be ok whatever you decide. Hope you enjoy your visit.

In addition to the beaches aplmac mentioned you can also try Brandons beach...it is alot closer to the port...probably about 10 minutes leisurely walk. It is a popular spot with the locals and its a bank holiday so lots of activity will be on the beach...families pinicking etc...

There is no such thing as a bad beach in Barbados so you should be ok whatever you decide. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Bajan Keith, thank you! Are there facilities there? i.e. restrooms, restaurants, bars, etc.?

In addition to the beaches aplmac mentioned you can also try Brandons beach.

..it is a lot closer to the port...probably about 10 minutes leisurely walk.

It is a popular spot with the locals and its a bank holiday

so lots of activity will be on the beach...families picnicking etc...

It'll be considerably busier than this!!

Brandons-06.jpg

Brandons Beach, with Malibu at its far end.

Bajan Keith, thank you! Are there facilities there? i.e. restrooms, restaurants, bars, etc.?

There are facilities and a restaurant...so you should be fine in that regard...just bear in mine that it will be pretty busy that day so there will be a bit of a crowd.

There are facilities and a restaurant...so you should be fine in that regard...just bear in mine that it will be pretty busy that day so there will be a bit of a crowd.

Ok thank you very much! Can you arrange for temps in the low 80's with a slight breeze? :D

Archived