Glacier Point/Davidson Glacier excursion at Skagway

lawahoo2001

Hi, folks. Thanks for always being an endless source of fabulous info for my upcoming Alaskan cruise. Based on the advice of folks on this board, for Skagway I think we will likely be booking the Glacier Point Wildnerness Safari, which includes a canoe adventure to Davidson glacier. Has anyone ever booked this tour outside of the cruise ships? I've googled the tour and can only find a link to the one offered directly by Princess (see below). It's a pricey tour ($254 pp), so it would great if we could save some $ and book directly with the tour company.

http://glacierpointsafari.com/princess

Hi,

We are doing this through RCI in June. From what I have been able to find out, it is a ship excursion only. You may want to use the CC search feature to get info on the excursion. I've found pictures and good descriptions. At work now, so don't have access to my saved sites for you.

Bruce

Has anyone been on this tour? Can anyone provide feedback?

Based on what I've heard on this board, this is better than going out to the Eagle Preserve, as no one has seen much wildlife. Also, not interested in the Yukon or train excursions, as I've heard that you're at the mercy of the weather, and if it's cloudy, it's not worth the trip. The train trip just didn't appeal to me anyway.

Also, not interested in the Yukon or train excursions, as I've heard that you're at the mercy of the weather, and if it's cloudy, it's not worth the trip. The train trip just didn't appeal to me anyway.

This is not true. "Parts" of the trip can have fog, but it's rare to be completely fogged out, getting into the Yukon is rarely fog with full expansive viewing.

We took this tour with NCL last year and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. There's a very short easy hike involved, a bit of canoe paddling and you get to see a glacier close up! Not to mention the guides at Glacier Point are great, if you get Susie she was our guide last year and was very funny and informative. If you are looking for something a little different, the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is for you.

I have some pictures up in my signature, feel free to browse.

We took this tour with NCL last year and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. ......If you are looking for something a little different, the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari is for you.

Hi.

Curious what month you did the GPWS (we're doing it in mid-June) and if you had a mosquito problem.

Thanks,

Bruce

Pook, just looked at your photos (wasn't able to access them at work). Fabulous! A few questions for you - how strenuous was the canoeing? It didn't look like it was that far, but how long did it take to get to the glacier and back? Was it upstream or downstream? Strong currents?

Also, did you feel like you had good opportunities to take photos of the glacier? Looks like you got some good shots. I'm a huge shutterbug and would like to take as many photos as possible. Looks like we would have the opportunity once we're at the glacier? How long did you float in front of the glacier?

What were those jumpsuit things you were wearing? Does everyone have to wear them? I understand that we would have to wear life vests - don't mind that. The jumpsuit seems odd, but I think it's standard fare for excursions in rafts, etc., on the water.

Finally, did the canoe have a motor? I noticed something in the back of the boat. What's the point of paddling if they have a motor? ;)

Travelbuds - we went in the first week of June and yes there were mosquitoes however, we took Deet spray and they left us alone. Deet/Mosquito spray is essential imo. They didn't bother us at all.

Lawahoo - Thanks! The canoeing wasn't strenous, yes the boats all had motors on the back but the guides encouraged us to paddle and most of us were up for the task but of course some of our canoe mates didn't want to and to speed things up a little, Susie fired up the motor a couple of times ;). We canoed across a lake, there was a bit of wind but nothing too bad. Total time spent on the lake I don't remember.

We had plenty, plenty of time and opportunites to take pictures. We paddled up very close to the glacier and the guides were in no hurry at all to get us out of there. I have a Sony SLR camera, quite bulky with lens attached, so I took along a gallon sized ziplock bag to put it in and whipped it out when photo op time came.

Those rather attractive jumpsuits were green rubber weatherproof suits! Your basic waterproof stuff and it is mandatory that everyone put one on, so you can look as silly as each other. Lifejackets were also mandatory. There was some water spray, not much and certainly nothing to worry about, from the wind across the lake and if I recall it was a little damp that day anyway.

I am so jealous of you all going out this year, wish I was coming with you and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!!!

Travelbuds - we went in the first week of June and yes there were mosquitoes however, we took Deet spray and they left us alone. Deet/Mosquito spray is essential imo. They didn't bother us at all.....have a fantastic time!!!

Hi,

Thank you for your comments. May take some DEET just as a backup if the lemon eucalyptus spray doesn't work. Looking forward to doing this excursion!

Bruce

Travelbuds - we went in the first week of June and yes there were mosquitoes however, we took Deet spray and they left us alone. Deet/Mosquito spray is essential imo. They didn't bother us at all.

Lawahoo - Thanks! The canoeing wasn't strenous, yes the boats all had motors on the back but the guides encouraged us to paddle and most of us were up for the task but of course some of our canoe mates didn't want to and to speed things up a little, Susie fired up the motor a couple of times ;). We canoed across a lake, there was a bit of wind but nothing too bad. Total time spent on the lake I don't remember.

We had plenty, plenty of time and opportunites to take pictures. We paddled up very close to the glacier and the guides were in no hurry at all to get us out of there. I have a Sony SLR camera, quite bulky with lens attached, so I took along a gallon sized ziplock bag to put it in and whipped it out when photo op time came.

Those rather attractive jumpsuits were green rubber weatherproof suits! Your basic waterproof stuff and it is mandatory that everyone put one on, so you can look as silly as each other. Lifejackets were also mandatory. There was some water spray, not much and certainly nothing to worry about, from the wind across the lake and if I recall it was a little damp that day anyway.

I am so jealous of you all going out this year, wish I was coming with you and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time!!!

Love the zip lock baggie idea for the camera! I have a bulky canon DSLR with 2 different lenses and was wondering about keeping it safe on an excursion such as this one.

Cruiserswithkids, looks like you are on the same boat as us, but a week earlier. Have you ever been on this ship? What cabin are you in?

Hope we both enjoy our trips and this excursion!

We have never been on Island Princess before, or any Princess ship for that matter. We have done 2 cruises with Carnival, both in the Caribean though different destinations. (it was great when I was younger but now that I'm aging I'm looking for the more dignified drunks! Ha!!) and we've done an NCL in Hawaii. We are in cabin 723 on the Caribe deck. (I'm pretty sure thats the one, I don't have my booking summary handy. I know it's the 3rd cabin from the back on the starboard side.)

I don't know which excursion I'm looking forward to most. We've reserved this one, in Juneau we reserved the Pilots choice Ice age adventure, and in Ketchican we reserved the zipline. (the zipline is what our teenage kids want to do:eek:) From the posts on here, it doesn't look like we can go wrong with the wilderness tour!!

• 2 weeks later...
We took this tour with NCL last year .....

Hi Pook,

Were you able to take a day bag with you on the canoe, or was there a storage facility at the canoe site? Do you rememberr if many took binoculars on this trip?

Thanks,

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
Where are there opportunities for restroom facilities? Thank you.

Hi,

Restroom facilities are at the staging area where you pick up life vest. Was told by outfitter of this trip that the "restrooms are one step up from porta johns and a step down from modern flushers." Going to check it out in June!

Bruce

Love the zip lock baggie idea for the camera! I have a bulky canon DSLR with 2 different lenses and was wondering about keeping it safe on an excursion such as this one.

When we went to the Caribbean, we used an aquapac to keep our valuables safe in the water. They come in many different sizes, and can be worn with a lanyard (like a funny looking necklace) or with a belt (both come with the pack). We used them when we climbed a waterfall in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and our passports, credit cards, cell phones, etc. stayed perfectly dry. I think the packs are supposed to float, too, but I could be wrong about that. They even make special ones for cameras so you can take photographs while underwater. You can check out the details at http://www.aquapac.net.

• 2 years later...
This is a ship contracted tour only with no independent option available.

HI, BQ, I've just searched this M&M Tour in Skagway that operate this same tour for $199 (saving of $30pp), any experience or heard anything about them for this Skagway safari tour. Is the tour worth the money in your view? THANKS!

Archived