Dining Dress Code for Children

itri

I am not clear regarding the dress code for children on Princess Cruises. I understand formal and "smart casual" for adults but what about the children? I have two daughters (15 yrs and 13 yrs) and a son (11 yrs).

For the formal evenings, I suspect a nice sun dress or "Sunday" dress for the girls, jacket and tie for my son. What about the casual dining? Can the children wear nice shorts?

I am not clear regarding the dress code for children on Princess Cruises. I understand formal and "smart casual" for adults but what about the children? I have two daughters (15 yrs and 13 yrs) and a son (11 yrs).

For the formal evenings, I suspect a nice sun dress or "Sunday" dress for the girls, jacket and tie for my son. What about the casual dining? Can the children wear nice shorts?

Formal night sounds great, you have a handle on that one.

But since these are not 'very young' children, shorts would not be appropriate in the regular dining rooms. Now, if you are talking about the buffet, it would be fine! Enjoy!

We have traveled with our 3 boys, now 15, 13 and 9 years old. They always wear a suit for on formal nights. On casual nights they wear Dockers style long pants and a button down casual style shirt. Princess has a policy not allowing shorts in the dining room at night, and I found that the boys enjoyed getting dressed for dinner.

We have traveled with our 3 boys, now 15, 13 and 9 years old. They always wear a suit for on formal nights. On casual nights they wear Dockers style long pants and a button down casual style shirt. Princess has a policy not allowing shorts in the dining room at night, and I found that the boys enjoyed getting dressed for dinner.

While I wouldn't say DS "enjoys it", this is pretty much what we do as well. He's 16 and has been cruising since age 7. You'll find this is pretty much what all the boys/teens wear for smart casual.

I agree. As a mom of two sons, they never, ever went to the dining room in shorts. With Princess, I have seen many people turned away when they showed up in shorts (not the same with RCI though).

We live in California and they wear shorts all the time. At first, you'd think I was sending them to the guillotine when I made them wear pants to dinner! :rolleyes: So, I understand you may be facing some hesitation. Although it took awhile for them to get used to dressing in pants, suits and sometimes tuxes, they understood the reason for it and respected the rules.

For the girls on casual nights, I would have them wear skirts, capris or casual sun-type dresses.

I would think all of your kids are old enough to dress up for formal nights. My daughter wore a prom dress she had on formal night. Just a dress doesn't sound formal enough to me on formal nigh but okay for smart casual night. IMHO it should be a very dressy type of dress on formal night.

Shorts will not be allowed in the dining room in the evenings. The girls could wear capris however with a nice top. Dockers and a nice shirt is fine for the boy.

Formal night sounds great, you have a handle on that one. But since these are not 'very young' children, shorts would not be appropriate in the regular dining rooms. Now, if you are talking about the buffet, it would be fine! Enjoy!
I agree. If they were under 2 years old, they could probably wear shorts but since they aren't, chances are they'd be turned away. Besides, they'll see other kids they meet onboard wearing the more appropriate clothing so chances are, they'll feel better about themselves by fitting in with their peers.

We've had our boys were golf shorts with a collar shirt on casual night and never had a problem or the feeling that they were not welcome to stay and eat dressed that way. Very much like a preppy look. Clean and classy.

Formal night they wore dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt with dress shoes.

Our sailing in April currently has over 750 children with more than 500 being teenagers alone. I can not imagine trying to turn them away providing that they don't look like slobs.

Last summer my 9yr old DD wore "dressy" dresses for the formal nights--for the smart casual" nights she wore not so fussy skirts/ dress pants and pretty tops. For the upcoming cruise we are have had fun scouring the racks at Nordstrom Rack/Marshalls etc for the appropriate clothing. She said that she likes to dress up for dinner because it is different than her usual jeans and tee shirts.

You can always have your daughters pick out one or two pretty cardigans that they can use to dress up their outfits--skirts or dressy capri's work great

We've had our boys were golf shorts with a collar shirt on casual night and never had a problem or the feeling that they were not welcome to stay and eat dressed that way. Very much like a preppy look. Clean and classy.

Formal night they wore dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt with dress shoes.

Our sailing in April currently has over 750 children with more than 500 being teenagers alone. I can not imagine trying to turn them away providing that they don't look like slobs.

yup we will be on this same cruise. Ds will wear kaki pants and polos for casual nights and dress pants longe sleve dress shirt and tie on formal nights.

Iw ould like to see them turn them away. the Buffet would be cleaned out in no time if they did.

At your daughters' ages, I would guess they would be able to find some slinky dresses they would love to wear. I've seen some teens really dressed up for formal night.

Hopefully by the next time we cruise (and my daughter will be at least 13), she'll get over her aversion to dresses.

On Ruby in January our 5 year old grandson wore a dark suit, white shirt (complete with real cufflinks) and black tie for formal nights - he wanted to look like the men. However, on every other night he wore knee length shorts with either a smart t-shirt or a short sleeved shirt. No-one paid him the least bit of notice and he was certainly not barred from the dining room.

Our 3 year old grand-daughter worn sun-type dresses in the dining room most evenings but wore a couple of her party dresses for formal nights. They always looked neat and tidy. I would certainly not suggest a 13 year old (or even a 15 year old for that matter) wore any kind of 'slinky' dress for formal night.

Archived