I Don't Think it is Rude........

sail7seas

If it's not proper to quote, then why does CC make the quote function available ... and carry a big button to boot?
As so often happens, Jim has succinctly stated common sense.

I do VERY much appreciate sniping quotes to the pertinent part(s) and not quoting pictures.

That's one I hadn't heard, & I love it!:D

(Maybe I need to get out more?)

You haven't heard that one , you haven't been out in a loooooooong time *LOL* Just teaseing

Lewis was big in the 30s through the 50s .

The movie "The Joker Is Wild" with Frank Sinatra was his biography.

Quoting is fine... and helps identify what the 2nd poster is referring to. What I hate to see is someone quoting a very long post and referring or responding to only a sentence of it. While not rude, it can make things confusing.

:confused:The other day I read in one of the threads that a poster said it is rude to 'quote' a previous post when giving a response. I was confused as to why they thought it rude but didn't want to bring it up in that thread as I was afraid that person would think I was being rude to them. :eek: . . .

Sail, I thought the same thing when I read that other thread. And I also hesitated and decided not to comment.

I'm glad you started this thread. I've learned a lot I didn't know, like multiple quotes. I've done it, but now I know there is a much easier way! :)

Quoting is fine... and helps identify what the 2nd poster is referring to. What I hate to see is someone quoting a very long post and referring or responding to only a sentence of it. While not rude, it can make things confusing.

Lessons on Quoting, Multiple Quoting, Sniping, Responding to separate segments of one quote, inserting (& sniping) photos and countdown clocks will take place in the Crow's Nest immediately following the CC M&G ! :cool:

HAL will invite various CC posters on a rotating basis to a free cruise for their instructional services. :) :)

Time permitting, there will also be classes in the proper use of the "Flame" button.

(best suggestion yet, IIDSSM) ;)

If a poster writes something and I wish to comment about what they have said, and possibly there are intervening posts between that one and where I will be writing my response, isn't it confusing to NOT specify to what I am replying and about what I am commenting?

I think the person may have been referring to people who quote the entire post ... including one that could be extremely long ... just to respond to one sentence. I guess I wouldn't call that rude ... just annoying.

If someone wishes to read the entire post, they could always go back in the thread and read the entire thing. If you're only responding to a sentence or two, then quote them ... not the whole thing.

Perhaps that's what they meant?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Don't need lessons for those. Lots of snipers appear here.
YIKES! :eek: Maybe I need to stay on the RC boards. There's lots of whiners, flamers, and generic whackos, but no SNIPERS (maybe some snippers) that I'm aware of.

Sail, I thought the same thing when I read that other thread. And I also hesitated and decided not to comment.

I'm glad you started this thread. I've learned a lot I didn't know, like multiple quotes. I've done it, but now I know there is a much easier way! :)

Thanks, Iris.

I was wondering if anyone else remembered reading that post. It surprised me no one commented they, too, had seen it.

Thanks, Iris.

I was wondering if anyone else remembered reading that post. It surprised me no one commented they, too, had seen it.

I don't remember seeing that. Could someone post a link to it?

Thanks, Iris.

I don't remember the post either Sail

I just wrote this and quoted you to annoy the person that thought quoteing was rude :):):)

Ain't I a stinker?? *LOL*

heading off to my room now :), I wish it was my cabin

ROFLMAO ....:D Good you knew to go to your room and didn't wait to be sent. :D

For those who want a link to the post that prompted this thread...... I honesty don't remember which thread it was in but even if I did, I wouldn't search it down for fear someone would think I started this thread as an attack on the poster. This thread was NOT intended to be that.

I never thought I'd see a thread debating the legitimacy of using quotes.

I agree with everyone else - I see no problem with it, and in many cases it is needed, particularly if you're referring to a post that is buried on another page. Quoting, if anything, is proper form for responding to a question.

For those who want a link to the post that prompted this thread...... I honesty don't remember which thread it was in but even if I did, I wouldn't search it down for fear someone would think I started this thread as an attack on the poster. This thread was NOT intended to be that.

Dang it, s7s! And here I was, all ready, with my torch & pitchfork...;)

How about if you just...:oquote it:o?

Archived