snob question

raysue

Is that so the "doctors and lawyers" will not have to associate with us "tinker, taylors and candlestick makers"???? else would they want to QUOTE]

joke joke lol is so the doctors and lawyers dont have to associate with the people who cant spell tailor lol lol lol

Longee1043. My dictionary does noy carry the word 'dont':D , try don't. We can't all be perfect. john taylor.

o.k. guys, I am back! I do not have the excuse of being from another culture, English IS my first, and only, language, I just can't spell conventionaly.. I can tell you that nither can doctors. I have worked in a hospital for 37 years attempting to read "doctor write" I put in"retired" for profession because, by Sept. I will be ( YIPPEE!!!) :D

As for the question about listing your occupation when registering....I believe it is just for survey purposes....but when you travel to another country you have to list your occupation on those entry cards or for visa purposes....my husband and I are both professionals yet I always write "office worker" under our occupation when registering for a cruise or visa/entry to another country because it is no one else's business what we do for a living and certainly officials in other countries do not need to know. We don't feel we need to list our titles...we are all PEOPLE and fellow travelers who want to meet new friends and have a good time regardless of what we do for a living!!!

Additional info about the question of occupation on the survey....it is for marketing and research purposes. They do not take the time to pair you with tablemates of the same occupation or age. They match your table mates according to the cabin category, and your table location in the dining room is based on your cabin category also.....suites will have a better location in the center of everything, and the lower cabin categories will be against the wall, in a corner, and "off the beaten path" in the dining room. Check it out the next time you are on a cruise!!!!

leslee, that is not necessarily true....I had a FABULOUS table:D on Mercury back in March. We were in clear view of the beautiful staircase and all of us had different cabin categories.

Myself and one other gal had your "basic inside"....Phil and Marti had a baloncy and Ken and Lisa had a window...No suites listed.

So, I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I"m sure it's for marketing purposes (Which journels and Magaizines to advertise in etc) and for table mate selection . One other purpose that I have not seen mentioned and really hate to think about..They would know who to contact on board should there be some type of major emergency where they might need additional medical support, engineering support, law enforcement support, etc

They use the questions about age, occupation, to help put together tablemates for dinner. We have been on 8 cruises so far and they have done an excellent job of putting our tables together. Never exactly the same occupations, but in the same general field and age groups too. Also they ask the information for statistical and marketing, etc. purposes.

I have also found that Celebrity does a great job of putting tablemates together. On our cruise to Alaska we dined with two other couples. All three couples had been married for a similar period of time with kids who were the same age. At the same time, we all lived in different parts of the country, so we had enough similarities to bond quickly and enough differences to make it more interesting.

Well we have to say that last year we had a great group at our table, although we were extremely diverse ( I think I spelled that right). We had us, a 39 and 36 year old couple from Arizona with 2 grade school children. My husband is an engineering manager and I am a full time Mom. We had a couple from California with lots of Grand Children, a couple from Britain with grown children, and a couple from Australia who worked in TV and were now in the travel business. A really eclectic crewe (New Orleans Spelling). We actually found that we had a lot in common, maybe that most of all we were pretty out going with-out being totally obnoxious.

I would be curious to know how they assign table mates. We are taking our kids to Hawaii next year and would had to be seated with someone who hated kids, or wanting to take a long needed break from kids. We hope to get a table for 4.

Phone call? E-mail?
Call your TA. Many times the cruise lines will be more responsive to a TA (who books many cruises) than to a single passenger on an annual cruise.

If you booked through a no-frills online, try the phone or email. Click Here for a link to Celebrity phone numbers and email link.

Cruise AZ: I always get a table for 4 and we have 21 cruises under our belt first thing you do when you board find your dining room capt or mgr give him a $20 and you will have a table for 4 good luck. PS: We are from Az also Carefree area we will be on Carnival Glory Dec 11th 4 days from now have a great cruise.

I, too, have paused at the "occupation" and "income level" questions. We love Celebrity and always assumed it was for dinner seating purposes. We have always had GREAT dinner partners, so no complaints if that is how they match folks up. I have heard some interesting ways to answer the questions for fun:

Jewelry Inspector (good for those who like "BLING")

Drug Pusher (good for pharmacists)

SHE who must be OBEYED (good for the ladies)

Lottery Winner (I wish!)

Income Level: Tell them they don't have enough room for your zeros

Put 3.14159265 (Pi to the 8th decimal) and let them wonder

Ask if it's legal income or can you count the rest too?

My favorite was 98Charlie's reply ""Hey honey, how about I register as a nuke-u-lar scientist this time. We didn't get very interesting tablemates when I told them I was El Presidente of a Banana Republic. Well, except for the two guys from the CIA." I laughed so hard tears came to my eyes!

Archived