Tokyo - 12-hour layover at Narita

nadalina

I will have a 12-hour layover at the Narita Airport from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 2. I have never been to Tokyo and would love to go into the city to spend as much time as possible, because, for several reasons, I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to visit Asia or Japan again. I have done quite a bit of research on the Internet about the airport and transportation into the city, so, bottom line, it appears that I will end up with only about six good hours in the city, arriving into the City at about 8:30 to 9 a.m. and leaving no later than 3 p.m. I have read various forums and it is very interesting how different the opinions are. Most tourists say it is well worth the effort but most locals say it is not, and the locals even go so far as to say they can't understand why tourists would even think to go to that much effort and expense and should just go to nearby Narita instead. I have always received great feedback from this Board and I would really appreciate hearing what those of you who have been to Tokyo have to say. Of particular interest to me would be spending a brief amount of time just walking around Ginza to get the feel of the area, visiting Asakusa (would love to have time to take the boat along the Sumida River to Asakusa), lunch at the famous Kawamatsu restaurant in Asakusa or brunch at the New York Grill on the 52nd floor of the Park Hyatt. I would also love to enjoy participating in a traditional tea ceremony but I don't know if there would be time for this, and I also don't know if there is a time of day that is more appropriate for the tea ceremony.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Peggy

JR's Narita Express will get you from the Airport to Tokyo Station in 60 minutes, or to Shinjuku Station in 72 minutes. Departures in both directions vary in frequency throughout the day.

Either would make it very easy for you to walk to Ginza from Tokyo Eki, or walk to the Park Hyatt from Shinjuku Eki.

Sumida River Cruise would be really pushing it.

Tea Ceremony might also be a problem.

But you could visit Tokyo Tower, Imperial Hotel (Frank Lloyd Wright bar and stroll past the Palace), Harajuku, Shibuya, Tsukiji, Roppongi Hills Complex, or the new Midtown Center.

Depending on how your plans work out, Narita City is only 10 minutes by train from the Airport. It is hardly Tokyo, but a nice small Japanese suburban town. It would be a great place to have lunch and do a bit of shopping in the local department stores.

I will have a 12-hour layover at the Narita Airport from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 2. I have never been to Tokyo and would love to go into the city to spend as much time as possible, because, for several reasons, I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to visit Asia or Japan again. I have done quite a bit of research on the Internet about the airport and transportation into the city, so, bottom line, it appears that I will end up with only about six good hours in the city, arriving into the City at about 8:30 to 9 a.m. and leaving no later than 3 p.m. I have read various forums and it is very interesting how different the opinions are. Most tourists say it is well worth the effort but most locals say it is not, and the locals even go so far as to say they can't understand why tourists would even think to go to that much effort and expense and should just go to nearby Narita instead. I have always received great feedback from this Board and I would really appreciate hearing what those of you who have been to Tokyo have to say. Of particular interest to me would be spending a brief amount of time just walking around Ginza to get the feel of the area, visiting Asakusa (would love to have time to take the boat along the Sumida River to Asakusa), lunch at the famous Kawamatsu restaurant in Asakusa or brunch at the New York Grill on the 52nd floor of the Park Hyatt. I would also love to enjoy participating in a traditional tea ceremony but I don't know if there would be time for this, and I also don't know if there is a time of day that is more appropriate for the tea ceremony.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Peggy

Do make the effort! A few years ago I had a short day to explore on a quick business stop too. Locals don't bother because they can do it any day.

Ginza you can easily spend hours walking, make an effort to explore the department store basements for a peek of the grocery stores. The department stores also have a good selection eating placees, but it looks like you have the eats covered already.

I also visited a few other districts; Shinkuju and Akihabara were also very fun and different.

Good luck

Archived