more tipping questions, but need details

NoWhiners

I hate to bring this up yet again, but I have read many posts about people adding to tips or tipping their dinner servers at the end of their cruise. i just would like to know how this is done. it can't be that they just add it to the bill we get at end of cruise; it sounds like this is done more personally. the one time I tried to tip our room service waiter on our last night on the ship, he refused to accept the tip.

So, maybe it's just me, but am I missing something? I often feel the desire/urge ti tip certain crew members, but I just haven't been able to pull it off.

Anyone else have this problem (unusual--can't give away money to people who can use it and work REALLY hard).

Mary Lynn

... i just would like to know how this is done.
We write a little thank you note on an envelope, put cash inside, and hand it out with a verbal thank you. We've never had an envelope refused! :)

We did the same thing. We put the money in an envelope with the recipients name on it. When they were in a situation where we could slip it to them inconspicuously, we told them thank you and they they went out of their way to make our holiday extra special. They have never refused....ever. One cruiser said that they left the envelopes on the bed on the last night when they were out to dinner/show....I liked that idea too.

We write a little thank you note on an envelope, put cash inside, and hand it out with a verbal thank you.

That's exactly what we do. I usually spend a little while on our last day sitting on one of the outside decks in the sunshine with a refreshing beverage, writing our thank you notes. We don't make a big issue out of it, just a quiet "Thank you for all you've done for us this week" and hand the envelope to them discreetly. On the other hand, my elderly uncle would have quietly left a quarter under the coffee cup. :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

once again, the KISS (keep it simple) approach is proven!! I never thought of an envelope--very discreet! I like it.

Any other tips on tipping out there. I thought we had this pretty well under control but we obviously need to get out more!!

Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas.

ML

We usually do the envelope and card. We usually give a partial tip early in the cruise to get off to a good start. We also assure them that the gratuity is in addition to the regular service charge. That way, they don't worry that we cancelled the service charge in order to give them cash, which in that case might have to be surrendered to the pool.

--Pete

once again, the KISS (keep it simple) approach is proven!! I never thought of an envelope--very discreet! I like it.

Any other tips on tipping out there. I thought we had this pretty well under control but we obviously need to get out more!!

Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas.

ML

You can get blank envelopes at the Front Desk if you don't already have some. I don't think a lot of people give a "pre-tip" - I never have and have always had the HAL service that I keep coming back for.

One thing I always take is a package of THANK YOU NOTES and I write a personal thank you and we put our money in and hand it to them with a verbal thank you.....never had a refusal, for sure.

I don't know if it's still an issue but a few years back when they began the daily "fee" we were asked to put our cabin number on it...............We were told by the Maitre d' (just HOW do you spell that??) that if people have opted out of the auto-tip, the person receiving the extra tip had to put it into the general pool but if you were leaving the daily fee/tip on your account they could keep the extra. I don't know if that's so or not but anyhow...............they appreciate the extra.

I also write LOTS of those cards they have at the "front desk" giving compliments to employees; they mean a great deal and help with their advancement. Yes, it takes time but you can write three or four while waiting for your husband to get ready for dinner! ;)

While the auto-tip in our cabin onboard charges is the baseline, we take note of the service provided by our wait staff at dinner, not to mention other crew members onboard who serve us directly - e.g., concierge in Neptune, Pinnacle Grill personnel if we frequent the place on the cruise, deckhands, wine steward, maitre d' if unusual needs occurred, etc. If the service was above par we rate all the peronnel to whom we decide to give an extra tip as gratitude and then devy out the cash we have brought for this very purpose. Envelopes are attainable from either front desk or concierge if in suite, and we use them with a thank you on the front of the envelope, or a private note for special cases.

In all cases we feel a desire to tip beyond the norm where a) the service was superior, b) the personnel were friendly, and c) we had the cash to do so.

There has only been one occasion on all our cruises where the dining room waitstaff got nothing extra from us - and that was due to items a) and b) being below par. Interestingly enough, when on the same ship on a later cruise, I watched the waiter in action at other tables perform in the same fashion he did when he was our waiter - so I feel that our judgement was correct.

harry

I tipped extra the 2 room stewards, the person in the retreat who attended to us all week, and I server in the Pinnacle who was very very efficient and nice. and also each morning 2 or 3 dollars when they would bring us our breakfast. (very big tray and very heavy and always on time).

Nothing in the dining room as we had different waiters each night.

I know you dont have to but I thought it was well deserved in these areas.

One thing I always take is a package of THANK YOU NOTES and I write a personal thank you and we put our money in and hand it to them with a verbal thank you.....never had a refusal, for sure.

I don't know if it's still an issue but a few years back when they began the daily "fee" we were asked to put our cabin number on it...............We were told by the Maitre d' (just HOW do you spell that??) that if people have opted out of the auto-tip, the person receiving the extra tip had to put it into the general pool but if you were leaving the daily fee/tip on your account they could keep the extra. I don't know if that's so or not but anyhow...............they appreciate the extra.

I also write LOTS of those cards they have at the "front desk" giving compliments to employees; they mean a great deal and help with their advancement. Yes, it takes time but you can write three or four while waiting for your husband to get ready for dinner! ;)

I like that you mentioned that. My family and I will do that on our cruise! I like to do that at home as well at restaurants and grocery stores.

Room stewards are now a two steward team. I tipped both extra, gave each tip in person and let each steward know I was tipping both. They seemed to appreciate my splitting it and their knowing it was split. I always also mention we've left the auto tip in place.

Archived