Compare to Glacier Bay?

LindaKE

How do College Fjiord, Hubbard Glacier, and Tracy Arm compare to Glacier Bay? We're planning a return to Alaska and need to narrow down our choices of itinerary. I know nothing can compare to Glacier Bay, but how would you rank the other options?

Glacier Bay - 65 mile long fjord with numerous glaciers at the end. You will hang out at Margerie Glacier up close and personal for up to an hour. Guaranteed.

Hubbard - largest and most impressive glacier. Often iced out in the early part of the season.

Tracy Arm - narrow, scenic fjord with lots of waterfalls. Very slim chance that you will actually get far enough up the fjord to see the glacier at the end.

I have only been to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier--so I can only speak to those two.

Glacier Bay was our first cruise, and that was awesome. I didn't think anything could come close to that experience.

Hubbard Glacier was last year--and I was wrong. I can't pinpoint why, but both my husband and I were even more impressed with Hubbard Glacier in many ways.

Two different experiences--two very awesome experiences.

My 2 cents worth. :rolleyes:

Sheri

P.S. That's Hubbard Glacier in the background of our picture--taken from our aft balcony as the ship was leaving the bay. :D

How do College Fjiord, compare to Glacier Bay?

No one else has commented on College Fjiord so I will tackle it. It is awesome. It is rather narrow, as you would expect a fjiord to be. You will sail past several small glaciers that terminate at the water until you encounter the main face of Harvard glacier. It is the ocean end of a huge valley that is filled with glacier. As you approach the face, you can see huge rivers of ice that flow like highways from side valleys into the main glacier and then to the sea. Truly spectacular.

Visiting College Fjiord is in Prince William Sound and, afaik, is standard on all HAL and Princess NB and SB itineraries, as is Glacier Bay.

We probably spent 30-40 minutes at the face of the glacier, watching it calve and looking for little seals floating by on the ice floes.

Archived