Doors and Food on the Ruby

Garn

Ok, one specific question and a general one...

It looks like from the pictures that the cabin doors on the Ruby are wood? Is it really wood, or is it just fake? On our last cruise, we put up door magnets, which made it easier for the kids to find their and our cabins. Will they work on the Ruby?

Now, the general one- I always take food reviews with a big grain of salt. I know there are different tastes- there are plenty of people who think the Olive Garden is the best Italian food, better than anything you can get in New York or Boston. Others prefer a good burger to a gourmet meal, other despise all seafood. I get all that, but even so, looking at the recent Ruby reviews, they range from "among the best food we've ever had" to "everyone we talked to agreed that the food was inedible". Considering the variety I saw on the menus, it can't just be that the poster doesn't like a particular type of food, since there's pretty much everything available. I could see reviews ranging from fair to excellent, or from poor to good, but it amazes me to have this wide of a range.

So, those of you who have been on lots of cruises, and have compared your experience with the reviews that you've seen, what do you think accounts for it? Did some people have bad luck and get all of the overcooked, poorly seasoned food, while others lucked into perfection? What do you all think?

The doors are steel. Now as for the food, I read the reviews and thread about food and take it with a grain of salt. Food is so subjective that if one person said that the food is just awful on a certain ship and I go on that ship and find the food just great. So as I said I take all food reviews with a grain of salt and I find out myself when I board the ship.

Marilyn

As to your first question, your magnets will work...the doors are not actually wood :)

Your second question is a bit more difficult to answer. I have wondered this very same thing from time to time as I read reviews. Sometimes I will read a review of a cruise that I was on and wonder if somehow I was on a different ship in a parallel universe! I think you correctly identified some of the issues, but I also think its very much a matter of expectation and personal attitude. If you are used to, or expect, your dining experience to be equivalent to a 5-star land based restaurant where you will pay $100 per person or more for your meal, no doubt you will be disappointed and will probably say the food stinks. If you expect to get the same level of service as in this type of restaurant, you will be disappointed also. If you expect that they are feeding upwards of 2,500 to 3,000 people 3+ meals a day and expect it to be like wedding food, you will probably be pleasantly surprised. Some people also let one minor flaw in their cruise ruin the entire experience, and reflect that in all areas of their reviews.

When I cruise I go with the attitude that I will have a good time and that I am on vacation doing something I love to do. I also understand that no matter where I am, stuff happens and there will be minor inconveniences. I don't let that ruin the experience. If you set reasonable expectations and remember that you are on vacation, I think it will be just fine for you and you will have a great time :)

Ok, one specific question and a general one...

It looks like from the pictures that the cabin doors on the Ruby are wood? Is it really wood, or is it just fake? On our last cruise, we put up door magnets, which made it easier for the kids to find their and our cabins. Will they work on the Ruby?

Now, the general one- I always take food reviews with a big grain of salt. I know there are different tastes- there are plenty of people who think the Olive Garden is the best Italian food, better than anything you can get in New York or Boston. Others prefer a good burger to a gourmet meal, other despise all seafood. I get all that, but even so, looking at the recent Ruby reviews, they range from "among the best food we've ever had" to "everyone we talked to agreed that the food was inedible". Considering the variety I saw on the menus, it can't just be that the poster doesn't like a particular type of food, since there's pretty much everything available. I could see reviews ranging from fair to excellent, or from poor to good, but it amazes me to have this wide of a range.

So, those of you who have been on lots of cruises, and have compared your experience with the reviews that you've seen, what do you think accounts for it? Did some people have bad luck and get all of the overcooked, poorly seasoned food, while others lucked into perfection? What do you all think?

I think you have pretty much answered your own question above about the food. It all depends on what the passenger enjoys and what they are used to eating.

Some feel as long as they didn't have to cook the meal, or clean up, it is fabulous. Others expect each meal to be prepared just for them and their specifications, and if it's not, they are disappointed. :(

Years ago passengers looked forward to trying different foods onboard that they would not normally eat at home. Now, there is a new generation of cruisers out there that want burgers and fries and pizza served at dinner each night, and consider meatloaf their gormet selection. Without these choices in the diningroom, they feel their meal is incomplete and the food was terrible. Many are also looking for quantity vs quality meals.

So many new to fairly new cruisers are now used to microwave meals, fast foods, and what I would consider junk food, they detest anything that is freshly made and won't even try it so consider the food horrible.

The food has always been good, and we have never not been able to find something to our liking in over 35 cruises on any line, any ship. ;)

We were recently on Ruby and the food was fine. I have to say, however, that I do think the quality of food on Princess is not as good as it was when we first started cruising with them. Now that may be because we are used to the food or it may be that the food is not as good as it once was. Whatever, any food that I do not have to prepare is good enough for us:D

It is puzzling for me also how many different opinions there are regarding the food quality. I think the naysayers are folks who are by nature perfectionists or maybe just cranky.:confused: I know when I cruise I don't expect to like everything. Different strokes for different folks.

For the life of me I can't imagine how anyone could have such a negative dining experience on Princess. Granted some dishes are better than others but I have never had bad food. In fact a previous poster mentioned the food quality going down over the years yet I have to say my last cruise on the Ruby surprised me because it was the best food I have had on Princess so far. Go figure! :rolleyes:

We had also noticed the food quality going down the last few years UNTIL THIS YEAR! Someone at Princess took notice and we really think the quality has improved this year.

That said, we were recently on the Grand and became friends with a couple who didn't like their table companions or wait staff. They were on the other side of the same dining room as us, at the same late traditional seating. They also complained that most food was cold and the waiter never offered another meal if they didn't like theirs,etc. They switched to our table and had a totally different experience! Hot food, waiter that was concerned everything was to your liking, etc., etc. (Don't know what they thought of their new tablemates:D;))

Same dining room, same time. Different head waiter and different waiter:confused:

It is puzzling for me also how many different opinions there are regarding the food quality. I think the naysayers are folks who are by nature perfectionists or maybe just cranky.:confused: I know when I cruise I don't expect to like everything. Different strokes for different folks.

For the life of me I can't imagine how anyone could have such a negative dining experience on Princess. Granted some dishes are better than others but I have never had bad food. In fact a previous poster mentioned the food quality going down over the years yet I have to say my last cruise on the Ruby surprised me because it was the best food I have had on Princess so far. Go figure! :rolleyes:

I think you've hit it on the head: some people get one or two meals they didn't like and it colors their whole experience so that all of a sudden "everything was horrible." And then there are the eternal optimists who had one or two wonderful dishes and so they remember the food as "everything was fantastic." (I like the second group best! :))

The reality is just as you describe, some meals are better than others, most are at least good, some are wonderful and, unlike you, I have had a couple that were downright bad (spoiled lobster, incinerated steak). Of course, I just sent the bad dishes back and they were speedily and apologetically replaced. You can't expect the waiters to be able to read your mind, automatically know your tastes and sample your food before presenting it. People need to take some responsibility for their own enjoyment on a cruise (and in life!).

Well again, I have to say that good though the food is, I personally do not think it is as good as it used to be. I am not a perfectionist or cranky - I just have an opinion that the quality of the food has gone down. Sailed on RCI for the first time last year and thought the food was actually of a better quality but, again, that is my own personal opinion. It would not stop me sailing Princess though as we have sailed on Ruby in January and are going on Dawn in August.

Garn,

Glad you asked the question about the food. We are on the same cruise as you.:D I'm looking forward to trying the food on Princess as we have only been on two cruises, both with Carnival. See ya at the meet and greet.:)

We were recently on Ruby and the food was fine. I have to say, however, that I do think the quality of food on Princess is not as good as it was when we first started cruising with them.

I have to agree with this, and now comes the big but. BUT, our first Princess cruise was on the old Dawn Princess, shortly after the transfer from Sitmar. There were only about 650 passengers, and an all Italian staff, including a sommelier. Compare this to our recent trip on Grand Princess with 2600 passengers. The food is still good, certainly not gourmet, but how can it be when serving this many people.

On the Grand in the Med last May, the food was NOT grand. On the Emerald in the Med in September it was really fabulous, especially in the Crown Grill. I, personally, found the steak in the Crown Grill to be Ruth Chris quality (although I am sure there will be cruisers who will disagree) - not to mention the soups, salads, desserts - all were really fabulous, as was the service. It was so great that we ate there twice within about five days. Just got off the Sapphire Saturday and again, the food was really excellent. We ate in the anytime dining rooms (three different ones) as well as at the buffet and at the Trident Grill and we found the food to be really delicious. Have fun with it - sample some new things you wouldn't try at home - if you don't like something, order another item. You can have two, three, four, entres, desserts, whatever you want. GO for it!! That's what cruising's all about, as far as I'm concerned - trying new things that you probably wouldn't try at home!!

We were recently on Ruby and the food was fine. I have to say, however, that I do think the quality of food on Princess is not as good as it was when we first started cruising with them. Now that may be because we are used to the food or it may be that the food is not as good as it once was. Whatever, any food that I do not have to prepare is good enough for us:D

Agree! In fact, I was a bit disappointed...but still had a fabulous cruise!

Archived