First ever cruise - bunch of questions!

GadgetNeil

Hi,

Well, I am getting VERY excited - our first cruise ever, going on the Zuiderdam to Alaska (from Vancouver) July 25. These forums are great, with lots of helpful info.

I have a few questions, specific to HAL:

1. I know soda drinks are not included - does HAL offer an unlimited soda card for the week? (I've heard of this with other lines)

2. Aside from purchasing specific spa services, is there a fee for general use of the spa area, and if so, how much is it, and what would that include? (this is more for my DW - I'll be happy with the fitness area and jogging track)

3. How exactly is the tipping handled at the end. I've read that a suggested or typical amount is $10 per person per day, divided into $4 for steward, $4 for main waiter, and $2 for assistant waiter. Is that about right? Do you hand each of them an evelope, or does HAL do something automatic with the onboard account?

4. The website says boarding starts at 1130 am. We will be staying at a nearby Vancouver hotel the night before, and I'm wondering what time should we aim to get to the pier for?

5. On the last day, it says the cruise reaches Vancouver 7 am. What time would we realistically get off the ship, and then is there a wait to get our bags? (we aren't going straight to the airport - we leave the next day, so we will spend one more day on our own in Vancouver)

6. We asked our TA to book late seating in dining room. How do other meals work? I understand there is a buffet also(I believe called Lido) - is this available 3 meals/day every day? Is it open other times? If I feel peckish late afternoon, what are my snacking options? Is it true that room service is free and available 24 hrs/day?

I'll probably think of some other questions, but this is enough to start! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Neil

3. How exactly is the tipping handled at the end. I've read that a suggested or typical amount is $10 per person per day, divided into $4 for steward, $4 for main waiter, and $2 for assistant waiter. Is that about right? Do you hand each of them an evelope, or does HAL do something automatic with the onboard account?

HAL adds a Hotel Service Charge of $11/day/person to your onboard account ... that amount covers tips for your dining servers and cabin stewards (a team of two) and many behind-the-scenes crew that you likely will never encounter but whose job makes your voyage memorable. You are free to increase that amount or, if you desire, to provide cash tips to those who you believe have served you above and beyond your expectations. HAL allows you to reduce or eliminate that amount entirely, but ... if you do so, you may be asked for reasons and the dining and cabin people may be questioned as to how they may have failed you. Further, if you reduce or eliminate the $11/day/person, any crew receiving cash tips directly from you are obligated per their employment contract to turn in all that cash to be distributed equally to all who participate in the Hotel Service Charge pool.

Welcome to HAL, and Alaska. You're going to love both of 'em. :D

I'll attempt to answer some of your questions.

1.) There is a soda card, but it is not for unlimited sodas. You get a 20-punch card for glasses of soda. The glass is about the equivalent of 1/2 can, for a slight savings in price. It also saves you from keeping track of all those sales slips. A can is $1.95 + 15% service charge.

2.) Can't help you here. In the past I have used the gym, for which there is no charge. There are also classes, with a charge.

3.) There is an $11 per person, per day hotel service charge added to your on-board account as your tips. It can be removed or reduced, if you feel the need; it can also be increased. If you feel you want to tip over and above the $11 pp/pd you may also give cash to anyone you choose. If you have not reduced/eliminated the $11 charge, the recipient may keep the additional tip.

A 15% service charge is added to all drink orders. Again, if you feel you want to add to this, you may give cash. This is usually done at the end of the cruise; placing it in an envelope with a note is a nice way to do it.

4.) If you go to the pier about 11:00 you will be allowed to check in, then board in one of the first groups. It will be crowded then. Boarding later should have smaller crowds, but then you have less time to enjoy the ship.

5.) If docking is 7:00 AM the last day, first disembarkation should begin about 7:45 (give or take; more or less; plus or minus). If you are going to a hotel, you may want to be one of the last off. That will be sometime between 9:30-10:00 (give or take; etc; etc.)

6.) The dining room is open seating for breakfast, and many days for lunch. The Lido is open for all three meals, in a cafeteria style. There's also a late-night snack about 11:30 PM.

The sandwich bar is open longer in the afternoon; the hamburger grill closes about 5:00. Yes, room service is available 24/7, and is included in your cruise fare. Tipping is welcome.

There's also popcorn at the movie (you don't have to stay and watch the show; grab a bag or two and go), and hors d'oeurves in the lounges at cocktail time.

You cannot go hungry!

Hope this helps, and ask away!

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

And remember that you can always order from the dinner menu. Just remember to order within the first half hour from when the dinning room opens. You can select whatever time you want to eat.

Cabin Breakfast Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM 7 AM - 7:30 AM 8 AM - 8:30 AM 9 AM - 9:30 AM

6:30 AM - 7 AM 7:30 AM - 8 AM 8:30 AM - 9 AM 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Diced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes

Low Fat Yogurt

Plain; Fruit

Breads

English Muffin; White Toast; Wheat Toast; Rye Toast; Danish; Croissant; Blueberry Muffin; Bran Muffin; Bagel

Preserves

Assorted Jams; Marmalade; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Mueslix; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk

Eggs & Meats

Two Eggs: Scrambled or sunnyside up or over easy

Omelet: With Cheese or With Ham and Cheese

Eggbeaters: Scrambled or Omelet with Cheese or Omelet with Ham and Cheese

Meat: Ham or Sausage or Bacon

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Half & Half

If you are able to wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 - 8 AM -- check your daily program for the times -- then you can write in things like pancakes, waffles, chocolate croissants, Eggs Benedict, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Wow, with all those food options, I'll be in heaven! room service alone has so much, I could stay in the room the whole cruise;)

With the automatic tipping added to the account, does that mean I basically don't have to worry about tipping anyone? (except perhaps the person delivering room service)

GadgetNeil, when you mentioned spa use, were you thinking of the Thermal Suite that's attached to the spa? It includes a hydrotherapy pool, relaxation room with heated ceramic loungers, steam room, saunas, etc.? If so, the charge for 7 to 10 days is about $150 per person or $250 for two. It's heaven!:)

Thanks for the replies.

Wow, with all those food options, I'll be in heaven! room service alone has so much, I could stay in the room the whole cruise;)

With the automatic tipping added to the account, does that mean I basically don't have to worry about tipping anyone? (except perhaps the person delivering room service)

Yep, that's about it.

Thanks for the replies.

Please, please, please do NOT spend the entire cruise in your room. ;)

In the Lido Buffet the Dinner offers most of the same entrees that are featured in the dining room. It is open every day for lunch (the Dining Room may not be while in port). The Lido also is open 24/7 with breakfast service starting earlier than in the Dining Room.

The Dining Room menu changes every day for Lunch and for Dinner, with certain staples available every day.

There are also Burger & Hotdog and Pizza counters poolside.

You could spend 24/7 eating non-stop, but please look outside every now and then to see the views. :)

AND, you may want to give some extra cash to your room steward on the last day since I have yet to meet one that does not go "above and beyond"

Ruth is right (as usual) about trying to be the first to board. That is when the lines are worst. :(

Thanks for the replies.

A couple of dollars for room service every time they deliver, even if it's only coffee in the AM. As another poster said, you can tip you room steward extra; also your dining room team (if you have assigned seating).

You will be amazed at how hard the crew works. One day on our last cruise, our assistant DR steward delivered our breakfast to our cabin; later he was assisting with the tenders going ashore in Cabo.

Archived