Couple removed from Hal Noordam Med Cruise

hinkley

I'm having an A-HA moment.

Not sure what that means.

Sometimes I think a lot of contributors to this board must live in a state of perpetual exhaustion from all the conclusions they jump to. :rolleyes:

Without the whole story, we really are not qualified to judge.

Smooth sailing to you...

Thanks for finding and posting that link, Hammybee. Also, thank you for intruducing me to Truveo. That's a great video search engine and much better that trying to search for something on Youtube.

The part of this story that seems strangest to me is how they were put off the ship an hour from shore! Couldn't the Noordam have covered the distance to land a lot faster than the small boat used? In fact, why didn't they go back to the port that they had left just an before?

When we were on the Noordam in 6/06 and a passenger needed by be medivac'd the captain sped up and arrived at Monaco about 5 hours ahead of schedule, and the passenger was transferred to shore by ship's tender.

I believe the male half of this couple is an attorney which might have a little bit to do with this story, which occurred six months ago, being shown in prime time now

They are both attorneys with a speciality in civil litigation. They are very well connected. She has held many public offices, within NPB.

I don't want to start trouble but...doesn't this seem a little far fetched.

Like I said if you all believe it then I guess I'm just too cynical.

I missed the event the first time it went around but has HAL made any comment?

How exactly does one get " put off" a ship and into a situation like this?

The only way I am hopping off a cruise ship, in the middle of a sea, onto a small craft, in the evening, an hour or so from land, is if the ship is sinking. No doubt there is more to this story.

It's usually prudent for defendents not to comment on pending litigation.

The only way I am hopping off a cruise ship, in the middle of a sea, onto a small craft, in the evening, an hour or so from land, is if the ship is sinking. No doubt there is more to this story.

If I am on a ship and suffer a serious medical problem that cannot be handled on the ship I sure hope they would get me to a Land hospital that could!!

Holland America can't comment on this because of the possible litagation.

It doesn't matter to me if they are lawyers or not. The fact that they were evacuated in this manner, when as John stated the ship could have gotten them to shore very quickly, is ridiculus. These people deserved better and it just makes me hungry for more information that could possibly justify what HAL did.

Hammy, having never been in a position of being asked to leave a ship, I'm not sure how I would have reacted when being forced off.I might have been very intimidated.

Hammy, having never been in a position of being asked to leave a ship, I'm not sure how I would have reacted when being forced off.

Maybe they were left with no choice.

They claim they were "ordered to pack and get off".

They claim "they pushed us off".

I was not there. I don't know what happened.

I would have locked myself in my cabin, under the circumstances being relayed, here. There would be no way, under the circumstances described here, that I would have left my cabin, let alone the ship.

I have been on two cruises where a person was not allowed to continue the cruise because of medical reasons. Both were a because of a minor heat attack that the person thought they were OK.

A cruise line does not want you to die on the ship.

Keep in mind that anyone would have a hard time proving that you would be better off on the ship for medical emergency than on land in a hospital. This is why no law suit will every happen.

This is why if you might have a medical problem you need insurance and better have sufficient credit cards to get you home since insurance pays you back and not the cost as incurred.

I would hate to be one of the people that don't have a high limit credit card and have it happen.

I think you will find that it happens more often then you would think.

I recommend that we ALWAYS reserve judgement on a situation IF we ONLY KNOW ONE SIDE! Having worked as an investigator of workplace complaints through-out the West Coast I know only too well how dangerous it is to believe a person when you only hear their side. Maybe they are telling you 100% the truth, BUT I NEVER found that to be true. In this case we have only heard one side. Maybe all of it is true or maybe parts of it are true, or maybe it is all misrepresented, we simply do not know and probably never will.

I watched the tape Hammybee provided, thank you. Is there any reason to think HAL's two responses mentioned are not accurate? It implied there was an initial response about it not being "their best".

Then the email the reporter recieved said the transport was made by the Italian Coast Guard.

Actually, this incident raises a lot of questions and every one of them interesting. They strike at the heart of the nature of medical care on board ships at sea (not just HAL), the power of the ships Master and the nature of the responsibility of the shipping line for the decisions made by their commanding officers.

After viewing the clip, it seems to me neither of these passengers qualify (at first blush) as nut-bars. Allegations made in an earlier thread by posters on this board that the whole story must be a fabrication may be dismissed. I will not stand up to be counted with those who imply that details must have been omitted sufficient to distort the general accuracy of the event. We can't know that with the evidence at hand.

These disembarked passengers are articulate and smart. They represent the worst nightmare for a cruise company -any company- where malfeasance allegedly occurs.

In short, what would you do, or any of us do if what allegedly happened to this couple actually happened to any one of us? I would like to think that we would be articulate and capable enough to cause some sort of action, not necessarily a legal one, to ensure that this would not happen again to other cruise passengers on any cruise ship should similar circumstances arise.

These pax we understand to be lawyers - they are articulate and with no small resources to respond to the situation they allegedly found themselves in as is their right to do.

Its a small enough story but IF true has huge ramifications for everyone that sails a passenger ship.

They say "buyer beware". For that you need knowledge. This is part of the learning process.

It may be in the end, to borrow from another thread, that these cruisers and cruisers like them will turn out to be the real HAL Champions of this board.

Your comments are always thoughtful and thanks for the link to the clip.

Smooth sailing to you...

The problem with only having one-sided information:

00080]Avon rubber boat[/color][/size][/font]

[

Italian Coast Guard RHIB based at Reggio Calabria

Not sure where you are going with this. I assume you have information that the aforementioned couple was loaded onto CP 801?

Probably not.

If it was, I would call it an avon boat too as a non-maritime oriented pax (they don't all have oil barrels in them).

As you say (and I agree) we don't know the whole story. That doesn't imply the story is substantially incorrect.

It needs to be fleshed out.

Smooth sailing to you.

Archived