Docking/Excursion questions

Loralu

Ist Cruise to Hawaii... need help planning. :confused:

I have booked Princess to Hawaii from LA for December. Trying to plan our Ports and I need some help. Looking to do Non-physical activities, tours, beaches etc. Travel with Seniors - limited walking.

Any helpful hints and tips would be appreciated - I want to get the most out of this trip - and I know this board is the best palce for information.

Itenerary is as follows:

Hilo - this is on Kona right? docked or tender?

Was going to rent a car to see VNP, but heard it is 2.5 hour drive is that correct? Suggestions?

Honolulu - dock or tender? we are there till 11pm - would be good for evening Luau - any suggestions?

Kauia - dock or tender? Interested in Hollywood tour. Open to other suggestions.

Lahaina - is this Maui? dock or tender? I read about the sugar cane train.. any comments on this tour?

thanks for all your helpful advice in advance:D

Ist Cruise to Hawaii... need help planning. :confused:

I have booked Princess to Hawaii from LA for December. Trying to plan our Ports and I need some help. Looking to do Non-physical activities, tours, beaches etc. Travel with Seniors - limited walking.

Any helpful hints and tips would be appreciated - I want to get the most out of this trip - and I know this board is the best palce for information.

Itenerary is as follows:

Hilo - this is on Kona right? docked or tender?

Was going to rent a car to see VNP, but heard it is 2.5 hour drive is that correct? Suggestions?

Honolulu - dock or tender? we are there till 11pm - would be good for evening Luau - any suggestions?

Kauia - dock or tender? Interested in Hollywood tour. Open to other suggestions.

Lahaina - is this Maui? dock or tender? I read about the sugar cane train.. any comments on this tour?

thanks for all your helpful advice in advance:D

Looks like you are doing the same Golden Princess cruise we are doing, but we are going in April.

Hilo is on the "Big Island" of Hawaii and is a docked port. Kona is a second port on the other side of the island from Hilo, which Princess used to stop at also but has recently removed it from their itinerary. KONA is a 2.5 hour drive from VNP but Hilo is not, I think maybe 45 minutes or less. Many people rent a car for VNP but we have booked a private tour which is also providing the transportation to the volcano airplane ride we booked. For me there are just too many sights on the Big Island for me to find as the driver, and my DH is a lousy copilot.

Honolulu is a docked port also. The evening luaus are tricky because they cut the return time close. The one offered by the ship, the Polynesian Cultrual Center, will get you back on time guaranteed but they do not serve any alcohol at the luau. If you are renting a car you might want to look into Paradise Cove or Germaines, but remember you are risking missing the ship if there is an accident on the road. Also, certain days of the week there are luaus in Waikiki in some hotels, but I am not sure where they are.

Kauai is a docked port. I have heard good things about the Hollywood tour.

Lahaina is a tender port. Some have said it can take a long time getting ashore in the morning if you aren't an elite member or on a ship's excursion. For that reason we are leaning toward doing a Molokini snorkel because it gets us off the ship early and we don't care for long drives in a tour bus. Many have recommended renting a car here as well as there are many scenic drives here, as well as all of the islands.

Hope this has been helpful :)

Just got back from 2 week land trip so I'll put my 2 cents in...If you are in Honolulu for the day a really fun thing that we did was a Food Tour. My DH said it was the most fun he had on a tour in a long time. you can google Honolulu food tour and can find it. But if you go don't eat breakfast because you snack all morning until about 3:00. It was great. Just something different. If you want to know more let me know and I'll give u my e-mail addy.

Archived